WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:58 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Help with picture......
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 16:24 pm 

Hi all, i have no idea about the navy, sorry i'm an army man. I have an outfit for one grandad RTR, BEF..but as i am sure you know in the height of summer it gets a bit warm in the BD,(yes im soft!)...so I am now looking at my other grandad who was in the navy :D . I have applied for his records but I already know a few things? He was a Petty Officer and as far as i know a medic, berth assistant?..I have his origional hat band and badge and this pic of very mixed dress. The other pic I have is of him in a jacket uniform(single breasted, i think) and black cap, with the cross on one arm and i cant make out what is on his other arm,also his medal ribbons from ww1 when he was a signal boy. I cant find the origional of this pic at the moment as i did a copy and mounted it with his medals so cant scan it.
My question is can anybody identify the cloths worn by him in this pic, he is the one with the cap on in the middle. Any help will be greatly recieved and please excuse my ignorance of the fine service of the Royal Navy........cheers

I also have some other items of his, a royal ensign and union jack flag, he always said was off one of his ships, some buttons, his kit bag, and some other paper memoribilia.....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 18:28 pm 

Thanks to those who have had a look already, obviously no luck with any help yet....I found the other pic I have, its a bit faded. Any info greatfully recieved..looking at the pic again I think it may be a double breasted jacket.?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:53 am 

Group: East Yorkshire Regiment LHG
Hi Bruce. Looking at the top picture the shade of the shirt is hard to make out and looks a little dark to be KD. I suspect this is very late in the war, or possible just afterwards and he is wearing what would become known as No8s, and many many years later No4s. Also known as Action Working Dress, this was a practical uniform copied from the Americans and consisted of dark blue trousers and a mid blue shirt. It was far more comfortable to wear than traditional square rig or fore and aft rig, it was also better suited for dirty jobs and was easier to keep clean. Here we have some ratings on HMCS Prince Rupert on VJ day wearing AWD:
Attachment:
11705227_10152932214213045_6944931271385493063_n.jpg

And this is a photograph of an original shirt for reference:
Attachment:
1625505_10153348057226519_324676094413618496_n.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 13:57 pm 

hatch_five wrote:
Hi Bruce. Looking at the top picture the shade of the shirt is hard to make out and looks a little dark to be KD. I suspect this is very late in the war, or possible just afterwards and he is wearing what would become known as No8s, and many many years later No4s. Also known as Action Working Dress, this was a practical uniform copied from the Americans and consisted of dark blue trousers and a mid blue shirt. It was far more comfortable to wear than traditional square rig or fore and aft rig, it was also better suited for dirty jobs and was easier to keep clean. Here we have some ratings on HMCS Prince Rupert on VJ day wearing AWD:
Attachment:
11705227_10152932214213045_6944931271385493063_n.jpg

And this is a photograph of an original shirt for reference:
Attachment:
1625505_10153348057226519_324676094413618496_n.jpg

Thanks for your reply....I was wondering if anybody would....I can see where your coming from and agree it most probably is late war, but unlike your shirt and the ones in your pic, it has epaletes, short sleeves and flaps to close the pockets...it almost looks like the top the man top right is wearing, that to me could be a KD Tropic top? But the trousers do look darker than the tropic? outfit on the right...I think they could well be the AWD trousers as you suggest. The main thing that got me is that they all seem to be wearing different kit.

Cheers Bruce