WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:03 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Greek Army 1940-41
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 19:38 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Mediterraneo WW2 Italian Reenactment Group
Hey guys. How about coming along to detling for a greek front scenario. Wull look at the logistics of it. Know of one other greek reenactor, a greek student called stavros. (i know, it seems so stereo typical but thats his name). I kniw he has an officers uniform. Hope thats fits well with you. I will see if he is up for the event. Will you guys be ready?

Neil

IF, and only IF, there is a war, we may provide you with a camouflage hood or cap in times of wet weather (Quote from the 1936 drill manual for the REI)

Telo Tenda Mimetico Modello 1929. Keeping Farbs dry at night since 1978

Its a Tent! Its a Poncho! Its a Ground Sheet! Its a Camouflage against the enemy. My word, its even a waterproof sleeping bag! It is not, however, German.

M33 Elmetto. Good against shrapnel. Great for grinding coffee. For that superb sweat encrusted taste.[/size]
http://ww2italianreenactment.com/

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 19:41 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
SuperMario wrote:
Hey guys. How about coming along to detling for a greek front scenario. Wull look at the logistics of it. Know of one other greek reenactor, a greek student called stavros. (i know, it seems so stereo typical but thats his name). I kniw he has an officers uniform. Hope thats fits well with you. I will see if he is up for the event. Will you guys be ready?

Neil

I haven't even started buying kit, something I'm playing with and looking into. lol. I know where I can probably buy most of it but I don't have it. lol. Happy to try and come along and chat it through tho.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 20:23 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Mediterraneo WW2 Italian Reenactment Group
Well i chatted with Stavros and he is well up for it. If either of you are going to Beltring, we will try and hook up there. Look for us in the North Africa section.

Neil

IF, and only IF, there is a war, we may provide you with a camouflage hood or cap in times of wet weather (Quote from the 1936 drill manual for the REI)

Telo Tenda Mimetico Modello 1929. Keeping Farbs dry at night since 1978

Its a Tent! Its a Poncho! Its a Ground Sheet! Its a Camouflage against the enemy. My word, its even a waterproof sleeping bag! It is not, however, German.

M33 Elmetto. Good against shrapnel. Great for grinding coffee. For that superb sweat encrusted taste.[/size]
http://ww2italianreenactment.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 18:48 pm 
1000+ Poster

Why did my Dad cut my internet before I went to war and peace? -_-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:09 am 

Hi All , Unfortunately Im having to sell off my Greek uniform , (photos of it earlier in this thread) what you will get is the following items below , please note it will be a bit pricy as Greek items are one of the rarest ww2 sets to get ,please note with list O original R reproduction
Tunic (Infantry Sargent) R
Trousers R
Great coat R
Puttees R
Boots hobnailed R
Side Cap and badge R
3x Double Ammo Pouch O
Y straps O
Bayonet frog O
Belt O
Helmet O
water bottle O(Bulgarian)

£500 and open to reasonable offers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:10 am 

Sorry I just realized this should go in the for sale section

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 14:00 pm 

Group: 1914-21 (20th Century Warfare Society)
SuperMario wrote:
Well i chatted with Stavros and he is well up for it. If either of you are going to Beltring, we will try and hook up there. Look for us in the North Africa section.

Neil

Hi Neil

With the first signs of spring, the reenactment fever starts. After a hiatus I got me an account today for the forum, so hope to get info and a chat from time to time here! Still open for Greek Army collaborations otherwise you will get at least yours truly! Just got back from a trip in Greece, the suitcase laden with Greek Army goodies!

For those that do not know me I am the only one at present doing Greek Army reenactment in the UK (if not in the world). You might have seen me in various 'odd' impressions in the big events (evzone, Ottoman, Bulgarian from WW1 etc).

I always wanted to do 1940 campaign too, my kit slowly built up to finally achieve a perfect set this year. Italian groups always showed some interest, it never happened for one reason or another. Is also the fact that I mainly do WW1 so did not match the events we go. I fraternized with Mediterraneo much closer last season(thanks guys!) and plan to join their WW2 events this season. Some real Greeks (in Greece) also appeared on the scene, it was about time!

Keep in touch if you wanna join me!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 14:09 pm 
1000+ Poster

Mate I would be very interested! Problem is I do not have the funds to start anything. :( I have been researching alot and really want to get at least a basic kit together. Please contact me, I'd love to start up some sort of partnership and see what I can do. :)

Joe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 15:19 pm 

You are welcome.

Money is always an issue. Don't tell my wife about the £1000s (and counting) I spent on Greek gear.
I admire your interest, but is so hard to get minor powers right or on the cheap. Authentic Greek militaria
are very rare and very expensive. Info is limited. Errors abundant in reference books and the internet.

I reviewed very quickly the conversation you had earlier last year as you were building info
about the Greek gear and felt so frustrated! I wish I was there to give you the info, but I guess
half of the appeal is in the research, you do not want to be spoon fed, right?

I do not know where to start! If you want to make the Greek 1908 tunic,
for basics the tunic assembled above is still quite British looking.

I can't judge the shade from photos, the problem with olive colour is that it looks completely
different depending on the time of the day if in the sun and depending on the colour of the artificial light, the settings of your camera etc etc. It will look on electronic photo (even the naked eye for that) from brown to green to grey even, and perception will change depending on reference colours in the background! BUT Even allowing for slight variation from loom to loom and lighting conditions, I can tell from my genuine pieces of uniform and the numerous items I see in Greek museums, overall and definitely it is a green, darker and greener than the British ww2 khaki for sure. If anything, the overcoat should be browner than the tunic. The 1908 tunic also importantly has lower patch pockets and cuffs. At some point in 1940 the cuffs disappeared, but in late production for sure.

In 1937 the buttons were changed to rimmed metal buttons painted reddish-brown, in 1940 changed again to
plain four-hole Bakelite. Possibly brass is okish as a 'residual' stock. The collar patches were standard for serving regulars, some were removed, many were kept. Photos show 30% (?) patches, hard to tell from B&W. The mobilised masses though were given simplified kit that never had patches. I see a trend closer you go to Albania, the less patches you see. The regimental numbers moved from the collar to the shoulder in 1937, mostly removed on the front.
The chevrons should be plain yellow not gold. The trousers are "pantaloons" tight at the calves.
The bayonet you used is a Yugo short, for the Greek Mauser kit you should get a Long "export" bayonet.
For the Mauser the fat German/Belgian/Czech G98 triple pouches are OK.
Much more common was the Mannlicher kit, which has three unique to the Greeks bayonets,
short, long, and Gras conversions.
The pouches shown are genuine Mannlicher Greek, were introduced around 1915. Ideally you need three sets (2 front), but less is ok (not enough for everyone!). These are are NOT like the Austrian or Bulgarian. Serbian could potentially be converted. Puttees were wound both directions, but most photos show them wound downwards, like the cavalry.
Finally the boots were rough-out "suede", but when dirty became darker. Never black. The old 1896 model is like
the WW1 French, then side stitching slightly changed in the 20s,
then again in the 30s got a toe cap, all with leather soles and hobnails, lastly the soles became rubber (probably post 1941).

Remember the above is the Greek-made issue, if not available, French 1916 pouches, belts, bags,
backpacks are totally correct, as they were issued in mass quantities
from French stores starting 1916. You can even use a British 1908 tunic which appeared
in 1940 (they were even supplied with GS buttons!). Potentially British boots are OK. Anything WW1 is Ok,
vast quantities of booty and surplus in the stores, not so great for front line though.

About weapons, another massive topic, if you want to check any info happy to help.

Looking forward to joiners. NB: Will have a replica tunic and cap soon for sale as I managed to get genuine WW2 vintage
now. Will not be cheap, but borrowing is also an option for an event.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 16:47 pm 
1000+ Poster

Wow that was alot of info to take in. lol.

Well that has basically thrown alot of plans out of the water. I'm evidently going to need more money that I thought which puts my prospects at getting kit together long in the future, unless I could be able to borrow kit. Which is annoying because I've become rather passionate about the Greeks and their conflict.

But thanks alot for the info. I'd like to keep a hand in what you're doing if poss, so sorry theres no way I can join properly anytime soon.

Joe.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 0:59 am 

Don't give up.
Take it slowly. We all had to start somewhere
even if it it looks overwhelming at first.

Hope to see you in an event this season.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:09 am 
1000+ Poster

I plan too. :) I think the best thing would be to meet you in person and chat about this sort of thing. Where I can go from here ect. Hopefully I will see you at some event this year. Would be great. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:52 pm 

Group: WW2 GREEK ARMY 1940-41 REENACTING TEAM
As Hoplites said take it step by step and you will get there, we have researched and found a lot of originals and others have to convert or replicate, it is easier for us to locate original things here.
I have to add ,concerning the puttees, that depending how they wore them ,distinguished the "new" soldier from the "older", downward was for the "new".
The boots type ,named M1917, are surprisingly similar to the american M1917.

https://www.facebook.com/WW2-Greek-Army ... 751753340/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 20:24 pm 

Gio wrote:
As Hoplites said take it step by step and you will get there, we have researched and found a lot of originals and others have to convert or replicate, it is easier for us to locate original things here.
I have to add ,concerning the puttees, that depending how they wore them ,distinguished the "new" soldier from the "older", downward was for the "new".

Interesting! By the way the American M1917 is basically a copy of the much earlier French M1892/1912.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 20:36 pm 

Group: WW2 GREEK ARMY 1940-41 REENACTING TEAM
Hoplites wrote:
Gio wrote:

Interesting! By the way the American M1917 is basically a copy of the much earlier French M1892/1912.

Then mystery solved! Thank you!

https://www.facebook.com/WW2-Greek-Army ... 751753340/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:58 am 
1000+ Poster

Problem with these types of forces. They copy stuff from other countries, or use their equipment and so there is so much equipment that is passable ect. Gosh its confusing! lol.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next