WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 19:42 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Greek Army 1940-41
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 13:05 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
phill38 wrote:
Hi, I think both black and brown would do , Most evidence points to the fact they used a combination of French , British , Greek ammo boots so I'm guessing they didn't always synchronize the resupply of boots . I will send you a link (have to find it ) for a Greek militaria shop he does caps , cap badges and sometimes has genuine kit . I can lend you a Greek helmet for events depending on head size , I know this shop sometimes has them to cheers Phill

Good news on the boots! lol. Perhaps in the future I may get the brown ones (just to keep kit apart) but in the short-term just using my current ammo boots will greatly save expenses.

And really there is a shop? I haven't been able to find anything through google! (But then again, they like to hide everything you want to find, lol). Would love to have a look at that! Be great to finally get that cap badge, and I can probably get more accurate kit as well. lol.

And thanks for the helmet. I'd love to get my own if possible, but you understand how difficult it is to get. And my head size? My head is flippin tincy. lol. I always buy the smallest size, but not going to be overly fussed with helmets.

Joe.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 13:25 pm 

Here is my belt order so far

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 13:29 pm 

Heres my kit so far

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 13:36 pm 
1000+ Poster

That looks great! Very good.

I have seen images of the Greeks having just two pouches, one front and one back. Do you think that would be acceptable? Can always get 3 at some point. Also I think I might try and get my webbing from this supplier you have mentioned because nothing I have found is that brown. lol.

But I clearly see the cap badge. That is very good! And yes the khaki does work well doesn't it.

I notice the puttee's (both in your photo and original) seem to be done differently to how the brits did it. Looks like it is upside down. lol.

Joe.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 13:40 pm 

The helmets are easier to get for the smaller size head, 55 being the most common ,
I think they did tie the putties in reverse, For the ammo pouches i think they would wear them on either side if there were only two present

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 13:49 pm 
1000+ Poster

The helmet looks great! And that's good news for my head! lol. And those collar tabs do look very good as well.

Your gonna have to teach me how to do the puttee's in reverse then, lol. But as I've never done them the brit way either it wont be too difficult. lol.

I thought the same thing on the pouches until I saw these images.

And Andrew Mollo showed it as well.

Though I'm not ultimately fussed. lol. I personally think both at the front makes sense. I'm also hoping to get a bayonet in my basic web set as well.

Joe.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 13:54 pm 

Cant argue with the photos LOL, I wonder if the pouch at the front is for support troupes ? I have PMed the website address

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 14:25 pm 
1000+ Poster

Thanks for the address. Got it.

That is a possibility. Who knows. lol. But I might try and get three pouches if I can. Will look at the website and see what they have on offer.

Joe.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 15:22 pm 
1000+ Poster

So had a look. Sent the guy an e-mail to clarify some stuff but I gave up on the uniforms, just confused me. Asked the guy if he can help but might just go with brit WW1 uniform if I can get it and do the appropriate changes.

But did find some stuff that I was wondering if you could confirm/deny it.

Webbing:

I presume these were the pouches you used. Great the more pricey ones! lol.

http://www.johns-military.gr/C37B9583.el.aspx

Couldn't really find a belt that I thought was good enough. Maybe you can find something better there?

Bayonet I found two examples. I found a Greek mannlicher bayonet which is longer than yours but looked similar in length to the ones they used. However at 280 Euros it's pricey. The other one was an austrian mannlicher bayonet that looked like yours.

http://www.johns-military.gr/%CE%BB%CE% ... 90.el.aspx

http://www.johns-military.gr/%CE%BB%CE% ... 62.el.aspx

The only frog I could find similar to yours was this one:

http://www.johns-military.gr/%CE%BB%CE% ... 91.el.aspx

Bottle I found two examples similar to yours. One was Greek but 50s-60s but not sure how it would attach. Other was Bulgarian which does look identical except it has no skin.

http://www.johns-military.gr/4D989CA6.el.aspx

http://www.johns-military.gr/%CE%A3%CE% ... 99.el.aspx

Finally badge. Found two. Neither look great. One is the fully connected one, but no way to attach it. The other is the crown and blue bit separate and only the blue bit has an attachment section. Not quite sure which one is the best.

http://www.johns-military.gr/FA2A72F7.el.aspx

http://www.johns-military.gr/%CF%83%CE% ... 83.el.aspx

I did find some caps with badges but they didn't look like yours. ouldn't quite fathom out what yours was. lol.

http://www.johns-military.gr/%CF%80%CE% ... 62.el.aspx

http://www.johns-military.gr/66C644ED.el.aspx

Helmets. I found two but neither had liners in them. Questioned the guy about it.

Let me know what you think. Any suggestions will be warmly accepted. lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 17:45 pm 

Its a great web site/ shop , I'm in Milton Keynes just up the road, so if you want to pop up one day and have a look at the kit thats not a bother ,let me know , cheers Phill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 17:49 pm 
1000+ Poster

MK hey? Would love to do that. lol. Didn't realise you were so close!

Yeah I sent an e-mail to the guy about the helmets. Finding out if they had the liner in them - not quite sure where I could get it if I just bought a shell...

The cap badge is my main confusion. I think the first one I listed is the actual one but wasn't sure how you attach it. Add to that I'm not quite sure what side cap you have used. lol.

I'm on half-term this week so I'm rather free to pop up, might bring a friend along if that's alright.Both because we want to do something this week and also, as you can respect, just makes me feel a bit more comfortable. lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 18:10 pm 

of course yes someone can come , no worries at all , I'm off all this week , at home on leave at the moment, The side cap is a Greek one , Looks like we might have the making of a Greek reenactment group which is pretty cool

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 18:13 pm 
1000+ Poster

Yeah it would be. Get the message out there! I was thinking, possibly as a start off and a way to draw in more people, maybe start it off as a Balkans Re-enactment Group? Bring a range of people interested in that area. Just a thought. lol.

Will PM you about meeting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 18:17 pm 

Balkan reenactment should be good, And an affiliation with one of the enemy groups

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 18:26 pm 
1000+ Poster

Ze enemy! lol. Sounds like a plan. And it's a good thing we're near each other as well. Glad I didn't discover your in Scotland or summin where it would be hard to meet up for events. lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 20:55 pm 

So do we have any other Greek/Balkan enthusiasts out there looking to set up a Balkan living history group

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next