WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 19:31 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:39 am 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Par-Sang-Versé
So your saying that the Italians just didn't want to fight, becuase they didn't hate the greeks, and the Greeks could because they knew the Terrain and hated the Italians? Well, i just read a bit of "Captain Correliis Mandolin" (not that that is a description in everyones eyes) and the Italians best weapon seemed to be charm!, but then the germans come along and shoot everyone, that kind of ruins it :(
regards
Rob
PS. thanks for the Stats! :)

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Greek Army 1940-41
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:17 pm 

Group: 1stGreek-Mtn.Brigade.Royal Hellenic Gendamerie
Hey Rob. :D :D 8) 8) :wink:

You Mean The Book Corelli,S mandoline who Was Filmed in Cephallonia and Two of my Nephews had Played Minor Roles in him My Cousin in Law had a Few Relicts of the Filming.I Tell you a Little Secret My Mother is Born on This Island in This Evil Times when The Italians Invade she was 6 xYears Old and When The German "Landsknechts"Came She was 8-81/2 Years Old She was Eyewitness of Bombarding the Island By German Stuka Dive-Bombers She was even Hit
by A Fragment of a German Bomb she Had even Yet Unoperated in their Left Ankle(Feet .War is Still 62xYears Over ??) She See how The Germans Executed Dozens of Italians ( The famous Scene Who Nicolas Cage "Alias"Corelli was Shot) he had see this Live not Only one time .Back To the Italians even my Family is in His Roots are From Venetian Origin But Lives on The Island of Cephallonia and Korfu Cirka 500-550 Years The Population of the Ionian Island is a Mixed Race They Main Influence is Greco-Venetian in a Unique Shape Never Found Again in The World.I Even Had Far Away Relatives In the Italian Army and in The Italian Blackshirts you see i had Enough to do with The Italians but when i Was 10xYears old i Questioned my Grandfather with What kind of feelings he had Go in to War He sayed to me they are Invaders ,They Came Unwelcomed,They Worst Thing they Came Armed and he sayed to me DUTY Knows no Mercy unequal To anything.You See i Know A Litlle of This Things.But War and all of this Ugly Things are Fortunatly Over and everything about we Talk is Becoming Day by Day more History a History of Course that we Never had to Forgett.

Greets: 8) 8) :wink:
Black Adder / Petros

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 14:16 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
Just a thought, before WWII, the only enemy that the Italians had fought in any large numbers were the Ethiopians (hardly a large modern mechanised force) and the Spanish (again, hardly well equipped). Perhaps the campaign in the Med was a bit of an eye opener?

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 14:22 pm 
 WWW  Profile

no not really....they didn't improve anything afterwards. they knew far to well, and a long time before that the british armoured cars could pierce the Italian Tanks. It was just mussolini being big headed, saying Italy was the best. The Italians knew they wouldn't fare wel in war. Italians have never been warriors or soldiers though out history, they had always hired mercenaries in the past. That is, if you look at it what the germans are to italy. Without the germans italy would have lost within 2 years, or less.
regards
Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 14:27 pm 
Forum Legend

Isn't that always the way

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

Jo Hukam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 14:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

It would seem so oggy!
Regards
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:53 pm 

Black Adder wrote:
Planes "Only" 123 First Frontline Fighters And Bombers Evample: ( Fairey Battle,Gloster Gladiators,Polish Pzl-38s,Avro Anson Bombers)were Available for Combat

A little explanation - Greeks didn't use Polish Pzl- 38, because it was only a prototype of a double motor fighter, which was constructed as a replacement of outdated PZL P11. Unfortunatelly the construction was a total failure and serial produce didn't start.

Greek Airforce (Elleniki Vassiliki Aeroporia) used Polish fighter PZL P24, which was developed from PZL P11 and produced only for export. This type was also bought by Romania, Bulgaria and Turkey.

Here you can find more about the plane - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PZL_P.24

Best greetings

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 18:34 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Well i think that this
A Greek PZL P.24 F/G, 1940
is good enough evidence
Regards
Rob
PS. a love for planes is a very good thing....keep up the work comrade!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 21:13 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
Quote:
Italians have never been warriors or soldiers though out history

Perhaps someone should tell the Romans that? Or maybe Garibaldi? :wink:

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 21:50 pm 

Hello To all :lol: 8) :wink:

Sorry i Had make a Mistake MOOSE you are Completly Right it was the PZL.24 who was the main Fighter in Royal Hellenic Airforce .About Garibaldi Hmmhh.He was a Professional Revolutionar who had Try Of Course without Sucess in the 1840-50s to make some Revolutions in South-Latin America his Only Sucess was in Italy But he earned not Great Sympathy in His Lifetime by his Fellow Italian Patriots Only after his Death she Create a Cult Above him Especially The Leftist Parties in Italy use His Name For Propaganda .About The Romans Oh god it,S a veeery LongTime Ago that their Empire Colappsed and Divided into 2XSeparete Empires The Succesfull Byzantine Empire Who survided until (29May 1453-Still 1000 Years And in the End was Betrayed by their Fellow "Christian States " who Was Unable and Unwilling to Help him in his Fight for Survival)and the very Unsucessfull Westroman Empire :oops: :cry:

Greets :wink: :wink: 8)

Black Adder / Petros

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 22:15 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
Quote:
it,S a veeery LongTime Ago

Well, it may be a small point to some but
Quote:
throughout history
is a very long time. :wink:

I could have talked about the Italian Wars, a fairly militant time in Italy's history I believe.

Or, going back a bit further, that it was the Lombards who threw back the 'successful' Byzantine Army under Belisarius.

The fact is the original statement that
Quote:
is just plain wrong.

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

Post subject: Re: Greek Army 1940-41
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 22:23 pm 

Black Adder wrote:

Sorry i Had make a Mistake MOOSE you are Completely Right it was the PZL.24 who was the main Fighter in Royal Hellenic Airforce

No need to apologize ! I was really surprised, that someone outside Poland knows something about PZL P-38.

"Evharisto" for all your informations about Greece in the Second World War. In Poland, where I'm from it's completely unknown piece of history.

Moose

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 22:55 pm 

Hello Moose and all the Other Fellows :D :D 8) :lol:

PZL is in Greece a well-Known Name for Robust and Able Aircrafts even Today Greece use PZL-Dromedar Fire Fighting Planes With Great Success.About The " Italian Fighting Abilities in History " or Not i Cease to Writte here For A Simple Reason this is a WW2-Forum and not a General History Forum we Do Not Talk here about Scythians-Lombards-or WHATEVER Of Course when Someone want to Explain or discuss this is his own Free right of Expression
but nevertheless A Free Word from me When Someone had Further Questions About Greece in WW2 of Course i will Answer him ( them) .

Greets:
Black Adder / Petros

Post subject: Re: Greek Army 1940-41
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:16 am 
Forum Legend

Moose wrote:
Black Adder wrote:

Sorry i Had make a Mistake MOOSE you are Completely Right it was the PZL.24 who was the main Fighter in Royal Hellenic Airforce

No need to apologize ! I was really surprised, that someone outside Poland knows something about PZL P-38.

Moose

Moose - It's actually a resin kit available from The Czech Republic. We are quite lucky now, since we can get models of most of the Polish airforce:
Mirage of Poland produce the PZL P11/P24 series, The PZL 37, and the Karas (forgot the designation)

Jo Hukam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:28 am 
 WWW  Profile

Frontovik wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps someone should tell the Romans that? Or maybe Garibaldi? :wink:

well there are exeptions in all forms...Garibaldi is considered an idiot in the north of italy...the north hate the south! The romans used tactics and technology to win warfare, which there enemies (most of them) didn't have. When your enemies use the same stuff then it is a very different matter!
regards
rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 16:12 pm 

Group: Mediterraneo
Yeah, that's right - if the Italians had Bren guns, motorized infantry, Matilda tanks, Spitfires, aircraft carriers & Radar in 1940 maybe they wouldn't have the bad reputation that they've been (wrongly,undeservedly & stupidly) lumbered with.
Quote:
The romans used tactics and technology to win warfare, which there enemies (most of them) didn't have. When your enemies use the same stuff then it is a very different matter!
regards

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next