WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:44 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Greek Army 1940-41
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 16:47 pm 

The 1908 works but you need to take off the extra layer between the epaulette and top pocket .Red felt on the collar tabs and red dress rank chevrons should distinguish it from being British, I agree thee colour scheme is varied but have you found the great coat to be greener than the rest ?

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 17:08 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
phill38 wrote:
The 1908 works but you need to take off the extra layer between the epaulette and top pocket .Red felt on the collar tabs and red dress rank chevrons should distinguish it from being British, I agree thee colour scheme is varied but have you found the great coat to be greener than the rest ?

By your last question do you mean was the greatcoat greener or have I found a great coat that is greener?

If the first then it was definitley olive green and most likely yes.

If the second, then it is something I'm currently looking into. That I'd rather buy green but can probably hunt it down. My main concern at the moment was actually trying to distinguish what does and doesn't work. lol.

I had read that apparently most Greeks never got round to putting on those collar tabs. But it would probably be best to put it on to make it more distinguishable. Any idea's of good places to hunt these down (other than ebay, lol).

Also what do you mean by that extra layer? It's just a bit vague for me. lol. I did also have a quick at a pic of the 1908 tunic and was struggling to see what you were referring too.

Joe.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 17:16 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A
I think he's referring to the extra layer of fabric that goes over the shoulder of ww1 tunics?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 17:32 pm 
1000+ Poster

Well I am looking at the SOF WW1 tunic (as I have the catalogue on my desk so it's just easy to flick too) and it doesn't seem to be evident. There are obviously three conclusions:

1) SOF doesn't put on that extra layer.
2) The extra layer can only be seen on closer inspection/in person.
3) There is no extra layer.

Now I'm gonna put my hands up and say that your guys expertise is alot better than mine so I'm more inclined to rule out number 3, but obviously not cross it out entirely.

Edit: If there is this extra layer, why did the Greeks remove it out of interest? And what purpose did it serve?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 21:28 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=ww1+br ... 7,s:0,i:85
looking at this image notice the line above the front breast pocket the line is the edge of the extra 'patch' that goes over the shoulder, I think it was something to do with padding for the shoulders for when you were wearing a webbing set? I'm not sure on this though

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:23 am 
1000+ Poster

Ahhh yes I see. And upon closer inspection of the SOF catalogue I do see that it is on that as well. Should be a simple enough task of removal if done properly I would have thought, provided it is just that, an extra layer.

Anyone actually have a clue what the webbing set is actually based on? Having alot of trouble actually trying to suss that out at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:49 am 

for the webbing sets, there are 3 I have seen in photos so far (and a mixture of all three )
Greek webbing set ,I will post some pictures of mine in the next day or so
French ww1 set especially the ammo pouches and double buckle belt
WW1 Steyr mannlicher triple ammo pouches

I know there are probably other variations but this is what I have seen so far

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:55 am 

For the collar tabs I think (might be wrong ) the the red collar tab(infantry ) was left on but the Regimental number its self was removed for secrecy , Red felt from any craft shop does the job .For stripes the BRITISH ARMY NO.1 DRESS CHEVRONS are surprisingly similar

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:26 am 
1000+ Poster

phill38 wrote:
for the webbing sets, there are 3 I have seen in photos so far (and a mixture of all three )

No surprise! lol.

phill38 wrote:
Greek webbing set ,I will post some pictures of mine in the next day or so

This is something I had picked up on in a previous post (possibly yours) but struggled to find anywhere that actually sold it.

phill38 wrote:
French ww1 set especially the ammo pouches and double buckle belt

I noticed this. I first thought it looked more like the German webbing but then noticed it was black not brown. I then stumbled across a French uniform with exactly the same webbing and thought, that might be it. Especially as I learnt after WW1 the French apparently trained some of the Greeks. I would have thought (theoretically) it would be easier to come by.

phill38 wrote:
WW1 Steyr mannlicher triple ammo pouches

Never heard of it, but can't be hard to come by. lol.

phill38 wrote:
For the collar tabs I think (might be wrong ) the the red collar tab(infantry ) was left on but the Regimental number its self was removed for secrecy , Red felt from any craft shop does the job

No you are right. Upon inspection of photo's I notice they all have that collar tab (so I'm guessing it is red, lol). I think I'm mixing it up with some oak leaves or something they introduced and were supposed to sew on top but nobody bothered. lol.

phill38 wrote:
For stripes the BRITISH ARMY NO.1 DRESS CHEVRONS are surprisingly similar

I had read that the Greeks based the chevrons on the ones so I'm not entirely surprised. But as I don't intend to give myself rank, I'm not awfully fussed.

But thanks for that phil, and looking forward to your pics.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:20 am 

One of the cheaper way to have a close copy of a generic Greek webbing is; 3 sets of Yugoslavian k98 double ammo pouch ,French army ww1 belt , Export Mauser 24 bayonet and frog , Those three items look really similar to Greek issue kit

The Steyr Mannlicher pouches/sets are quite cheep from Bulgarian shops, postage isn't too bad either ,Might be quite authentic as the Greeks had a large supply of captured Bulgarian war booty i think

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:38 am 
1000+ Poster

phill38 wrote:
One of the cheaper way to have a close copy of a generic Greek webbing is; 3 sets of Yugoslavian k98 double ammo pouch ,French army ww1 belt , Export Mauser 24 bayonet and frog , Those three items look really similar to Greek issue kit

The Steyr Mannlicher pouches/sets are quite cheep from Bulgarian shops, postage isn't too bad either ,Might be quite authentic as the Greeks had a large supply of captured Bulgarian war booty i think

Interesting. Yes I did notice on some photo's they basically all just wore belt and then ammo pouches front and back. I guess obtaining a full marching order kit ect can be done over longer period. Could you possibly direct me to any of those shops? Personally having some difficulty tracking any of them down (as google likes to throw up the British ones first that have no Greek stuff!).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 13:47 pm 

The steyr Mannlicher stuff I got from a place called "shop Bulgaria" only used it once but it was fast and efficient ,Don't tell him its for a "Greek " look though . Double ammo pouches are dirt cheap in the states just Google "Yugo Mauser Ammo Pouch " they are usually less then $6 each so even a set of 3 with be exempt any custom charges I think which is under 20 quid or something like that can be cheaper than buying in the UK but up to you . Belts and the like keep an eye on Evil bay ,

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 19:56 pm 
1000+ Poster

Found a guy who's selling two double mannlicher pouches with a belt to me from Bulgaria for £76 (with postage). Seems a bit steep. Possibly better looking somewhere else from what you suggest. But they do look identical to what I have seen in photo's (just realised recently that the double pouch was one at front, one at back, lol). There is actually a guy doing WW1 originals for £12 (both) but that finishes today and my paypal isn't set up yet. Advise I shouldn't go with the deal and look somewhere else? Especially as you say yugo mauser pouches are alot cheaper.

Joe.

Edit: Having had a quick look, there are two guys that do two double mannlicher pouches (original) far cheaper than this guy. Probs alot better! And then just get the belt off of him. Though his is German (although it looks identical).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:26 am 

The Mannlicher pouches are usually a bit cheaper like you said ,It really depends on how patient you can be as good deals come up all the time..
Just for information I have been trying to persuade our Italian cousins to do a living history event based on the Greco-Italian war this year but have been a bit short of fellow Greeks , cheers Phill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:33 am 
1000+ Poster

phill38 wrote:
The Mannlicher pouches are usually a bit cheaper like you said ,It really depends on how patient you can be as good deals come up all the time..
Just for information I have been trying to persuade our Italian cousins to do a living history event based on the Greco-Italian war this year but have been a bit short of fellow Greeks , cheers Phill

They are a few deals on ebay at the moment on the mannlicher pouches which I am trying to snap up, by my paypal is taking forever to set up! Errrr.

By the way, do you know where I can possibly obtain a cap badge? That is the one thing I can not locate for the life of me. Also, I keep seeing conflicting evidence of boots worn. One minute I see brown ammo boots (like what the British wore in WW1) and then I see black ammo boots (like the British wore in WW2). In your personal opinion, which one is more accurate? I would love to be able to use my current ammo boots to save finances in the short-term if possible.

As to the Italian thing, I know about it. lol. I sent an e-mail to exactly the same group (Mediterrano or whatever was it?) and they told me someone had already contacted them about it, I had to presume it was you. lol. It would be great if we could arrange something! Allied Assortment is also a group attached to my current one (BARS) and they would also allow me to use my Greek uniform so that is another option, although most of their events are with BARS so not a great number of events.

I am also in the process of trying to obtain a Kingdom of Greece flag (annoyingly through custom flag designs only) but they are so expensive at the moment I'm trying to find cheaper ways to do it. Be great to get one though, I always worry that people would mistake me for WW1 brit, lol. Especially as I can't obtain a Greek helmet, although I would have thought in the short-term an Italian one would do as they look almost identical (bar the obvious one of where the bolts are) and they are very cheap on ebay!

Joe.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:49 am 

Hi, I think both black and brown would do , Most evidence points to the fact they used a combination of French , British , Greek ammo boots so I'm guessing they didn't always synchronize the resupply of boots . I will send you a link (have to find it ) for a Greek militaria shop he does caps , cap badges and sometimes has genuine kit . I can lend you a Greek helmet for events depending on head size , I know this shop sometimes has them to cheers Phill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next