WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:57 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 17:51 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Par-Sang-Versé
they are still more than a match for the Pzl

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Greek Army 1940-41
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 20:38 pm 

Group: 1stGreek-Mtn.Brigade.Royal Hellenic Gendamerie
Hey Robou .Hey Oggy.

Robou.@ We all can not Ignore Historical Facts Example : Italians Built Their own aircrafts regardless when their good or Not -Greeks don,t Build Their Own aircraft you have too see this Time period with the Eyes from Someone
who lived in this time Unequeal on wich side of the Front you Stand Later .The PzL Had Not The fighting Abilities or Manouverbility of an Supermarine SpitfireMk4b-or an Messerschmitt Bf109C but it Flies and can Fullfill his Mission that make this Aircraft Able and trustworthy Nothing More and Nothing Less.Of Course I Wish as a Greek that Greece had at The Start of War .
10xsquadrons of Spitfire .5xsquadrons of Typhoons .5-6 Squadrons of Lancaster or Wellington Bombers + 100-medium tanks or so too crush the Italian or whatever Invaders and too send then Back too their crying MAMAS in Napoli -Bologna-or The Vatican too Take Shelter.But this are Daydreams .Come on Comrade see the Truth in the Face and make the FINAL Conclusion Mussolini had Great dreams but the Italian People especially the deads had Payed the Bill For his oorfull "Mare Nostrum " dreams ( sorry : The Italians of this Time-Period had been Victims of their long time Ago Past No One in Greece Denies his Past but we Are more realistic and optimistic ).

Greets:
Black Adder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:55 am 
 WWW  Profile

Hi,
Of course i agree with that. I was simply saying that the Pzl. is great for what it was made for (recon) but could not match the Italian planes, even though they were undergunned. THe fact was, Greece was not going to fair well against so much from the Axis, with only the resources that thye had. However, they did do a hell of a lot better than anyone thought they could. Remember that this was one of the first Italian offensives so no one knew the low quailty of the Italian army (not necessarily the troops) so the Greeks showed the world (and more importantly germany) how weak the Italian offenceives were. The consquense is Germany helping out the Italians in the Balkans and North africa, drawing out valuable men (think of the quaility of the DAK and what that could have done in russia) and ultimately had a great affect on the outcome of the war. So if you look carefully, Greece's bold defence and the resolve of the Greek people had a great affect on the outcome of the war (though it is a bit loose).
regards
rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:32 am 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
Rob - the Pzl wasn't recon tho - it was a front line fighter, which fared well against Bf109s and Heinkels in the Polish campaign.
This is an interesting read:

http://imansolas.freeservers.com/Aces/T ... hters.html

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:49 am 
 WWW  Profile

hi oggy,
a very interesting read. I am sorry for my mistake but from the look of the plane i didn't think i would stand much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:45 am 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
Any time Rob - Italian Aircraft in 1943 were some of the fastest, best looking out there. But early war, they were outclassed by their peers, as was the RAF in the Med when the Luftwaffe were fielded (Look up Westland Wapiti for a sample of RAF Strength at that time).

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:10 am 

robou wrote:
A real mix then!!
They were a very good military beating the huge italian army, using no Tanks, Artillery, Planes or naval support.....
There fight should be admired....and if the germans hadent interveend (which would never had happen if Bulgaria had join the Balkans pact) they would have most probably would have beaten the Italians, Driven them into the Adriactic and taken Albania
Who knows??
Regards Rob

Actually Hitler intervened because he feared that Mussolini's invasion of Greece would invite British intervention, which it eventually did, although not in sufficient strength to be a real threat to the Germans.

Post subject: Greek Army 1940-41
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:33 pm 

By The way Hitler must Intervene too Prevent Mussolinis Complette Blamage and Desaster he Need a Dictated and Quick Peace in The Balkans for his Greater and Ambitious Plans to Attack Soviet Union Nothing more and nothing Less .In the Beginning of his Political Career Hitler need Mussolini Later his Importance Drop Dramatically.Even The British They need The Geostrategic Position of Greece too Threaten the Romanian Oilfields who Goering,s Luftwaffe need too Éxist.

Post subject: Re: Greek Army 1940-41
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 16:49 pm 

Group: Nww2a mainly
Hi i have a few photos of greek slodiers so if u want i can PM them to you

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 17:21 pm 

Hello Comrade Kirk @ It,s a nice Offer from you but my Computers Harddisk is Pretty Full with Greek Soldiers Photos from the Wartime and even Greek Civil War 1946-1949,Again Many Thanks.

Black Adder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 13:08 pm 

Group: Greek Army 1897 - 1949
Hello Petro

I was wondering if you built up your outfit since you started this thread.
Please forward some pictures of your up-date impression if you have the opportunity.

Last edited by BASILii on Mon Feb 25, 2013 22:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 16:41 pm 

Hello Basilli

you had a PN .Nice From you to Drop by i Had Forget too say here in Germany where i Live i am Member of the EAST Yorkshire Regt.( Greetings too my regimental comrades in the UK ) About Pictures well lets see what i have Available :mrgreen: :D ..

Greets and welcome to the Forum:

Black Adder / aka.Petros

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 19:34 pm 

Does anyone know where I can get a National Cockade for OR or rank chevrons , I have ordered a uniform from overseas and will post pictures when it arrives

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 19:35 pm 

Replica of course , my uniform

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:30 am 

Well I have finally got my kit together , I have the few finishing touches to put together so its out with the old needle and thread next weekend , I'm also trying to figure out how to give a khaki uniform that slight green tinge ,I know I will use a cold water dye but only have limited pieces of cloth in which to experiment , I do have a question for those who know ? The rare colour photos I have seen seem to point to a definite olive green (home of the olive tree ) tinge to the great coat but uniforms appear to be slightly browner , colour plates seem to indicate all green but these are only drawings.Conflictingly also I have read there was a whole colour range from khaki to olive green due to supply issues and a none standardization .
So the plan (please correct me if I'm wrong ) is

Great coat strong olive green colour similar to the m34 helmet
Cap, tunic , trousers , and puttees khaki green tinge (British Dress uniform rank Chevrons which are gold with a red backing and red felt collar tabs for tunic)
Greek ammo pouches x 3
Greek y straps
Mauser 24 and bayonet
Bulgarian ww2 water bottle
M34 helmet
British gas mask bag for a bread bag at the moment although the Greek bread bag appears to be made of cloth rather than canvas so shouldn't be to difficult to sow up if anyone had a detailed pic
Cheers Phill

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 16:21 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
Hi Guys.

I've been some quick research into the Greek uniform. Everywhere I keep reading that the common uniform still being used by frontline troops was the 1908 pattern. I remember reading that the British WW1 uniform was of 1908 make. I then got out my SOF catalogue and a did a quick comparison with some WW2 photo's and they seem to be identical. The tunic, the puttee's and the boots. The trousers is a bit hard to call because the Greek's seem to have them more 'bloused' then I've seen with WW1 but that might just be the way they wore them?

In short, all that really seems to be different is the hat and (arguably) helmet, because of course some wore the MkII.

The only trouble is that of course the Greek's a more renowned for their uniforms being more olive green than khaki, that said, uniforms did always vary and I have seen a colour image of Greek's in a more khaki uniform. Though surely a bit of dye could solve that problem if you wanted to go olive green?

So I was just wondering what you guys thought. Do you think a Brit WW1 kit could kind of pull it off?

Also another question I have is to do with the Webbing. Too me it looks rather much like the German stuff, although brown. But then I saw some images of the French soldiers and they seemed to have something near identical (not surprising as the French provided alot of kit). Was just wondering is there a way to get the webbing as well?

I have just ordered Andrew Mollo's Armed Forces of WWII book off of Amazon (£3 bargain) so I'm hoping to get a bit more helpful information from that, as it is highly recommended. But the 1908 stuff is the one I am most interested in as I thought getting the actual uniform itself was going to be the hard part! Would be over the moon if it wasn't.

Joe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next