WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 23:29 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Italian pilots unifom
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 15:42 pm 

Hi there

i have been trying to find some images or some sort of reference of what an italian pilots uniform was, and if it was something i could put together with reproductions available, eg: if it were an m40 uniform or if they wore the wool side caps.

TL;DR: just wondering if anyone knew what they wore and if there was repo stuff at reasonable prices out there for it.

cheers

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:35 am 
Supporter

No repro stuff available but they wore some german parachutes. I have seen flying suites go for sale on ebay italy but they go for Big Money
The only colour photos I have are in A 'Uniformi & Armi' Magazine from the 1990's, cant remember the number of the edition .
I will get it the number later for you.
Google Regia Aeronautica images .
Uniform jackets similar to ww2 RAF do come up on ebay Italy for about 200 euros.
There are some crazy pics with fighter pilots wearing Skull and Cross bones bandanas.
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:00 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Summer of '44.
A couple of detailed images...
http://www.rathbonemuseum.com/IT/ITmain.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 16:20 pm 

Hi thanks for the info, checked out ebay italy and it had a lot more than uk or us ebay, guess if there are hardly any repos for italian army uniforms there will be next to none for air force, id love to see the pics of the bandanas if you can find them, and cheers for the link to the detailed images, they seem similar to modern usaf service dress almost.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 21:13 pm 
Supporter

Uniformi & Armi No 56 from 1995. There is a book on 'WW2 Italian airforce Fighter Aces 'in English. Supermario who posts here has more knowledge than me on this subject. There is a maker of reproduction ww2 Italian army uniforms. The reenacting group 'meditteraneo' reenact Ww2 Italian army.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 14:28 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Mediterraneo WW2 Italian Reenactment Group
Hi. If you are after a flight suit, then i wish you all the luck in the world. These are super hard to get hold off and if i had been successful on ebay i would have had them copied by now. You need to look for marus suits. These are the padded jacket and trousers. Flight helmets are just as hard. Ignore most the goggles on ebay as these tend to be dispatch riders versions. If you go for the dress uniform then early post war is ok. Insignia comes and goes but ebay should deliver most badges. Repro pilot wings are about 15 quid.

As for the sky pirates, here is the picture.

Macchi 202 pilots on Sardinia. 51 Stormo of the 155 group.

Neil

IF, and only IF, there is a war, we may provide you with a camouflage hood or cap in times of wet weather (Quote from the 1936 drill manual for the REI)

Telo Tenda Mimetico Modello 1929. Keeping Farbs dry at night since 1978

Its a Tent! Its a Poncho! Its a Ground Sheet! Its a Camouflage against the enemy. My word, its even a waterproof sleeping bag! It is not, however, German.

M33 Elmetto. Good against shrapnel. Great for grinding coffee. For that superb sweat encrusted taste.[/size]
http://ww2italianreenactment.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:30 am 

Thanks so much for the info and replies, and the picture is so awesome ^^ , i guess i will have to scrounge around on ebay for a while before something comes up, even finding post war stuff is hard it seems, and the only repo site for any ww2 italian stuff i found, (understandably) was all in italian but also required to call for pricing which put me off too. i guess i will just hope for more sites to pop up or hiki to get more stuff.

many thanks for the help

calum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 16:39 pm 
1000+ Poster

In my collection i have a leather fighter pilots jacket and a few insignia. The Regia Aeronautica pilots often did the American practice of painting or having stitched versions of their unit badge applied to their jackets or mae wests. Thats a cool look too.

Neil

IF, and only IF, there is a war, we may provide you with a camouflage hood or cap in times of wet weather (Quote from the 1936 drill manual for the REI)

Its a Tent! Its a Poncho! Its a Ground Sheet! Its a Camouflage against the enemy. My word, its even a waterproof sleeping bag! It is not, however, German.

M33 Elmetto. Good against shrapnel. Great for grinding coffee. For that superb sweat encrusted taste.[/size]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 21:15 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AASI & 16PFA
Wish i read this earlier,

Will post a few websites i have used in the past. With flying equipment (helmets, googles, lifevest, etc) you can get away with wearing German as some was supplied to the italian Forces, and If i am correct, some of it was copied(?) by the italians..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 21:32 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AASI & 16PFA
Dress Uniform.
http://www.bombphoons.com/viewphoto.php ... 74&phqu=10

Helmet and goggles
http://www.bombphoons.com/viewphoto.php ... 03&phqu=10

Flying suit.
http://www.bombphoons.com/viewphoto.php ... 37&phqu=10

Goggles.
http://www.bombphoons.com/viewphoto.php ... 923&phqu=5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 18:14 pm 

thanks so much for the links ^^ looks like i will have to save a hell of a lot to get anything at all but atleast no i know what i am looking for haha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:06 am 
1000+ Poster

In fairness, late war ANR wore a majority of German flight uniform but early war they had their own generic uniform issue. One piece white overalls for tropics but the italians would happily fly in shorts and shirts. The Regia Aeronautica modelled their uniforms from the British and they look very similar. Regia Aeronautica does mean Royal Airforce. Flight helmets tended to be simple affairs though, and before the introduction of self inflating mae west jackets, they wore a kapok filled tubular life preserver.

Neil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 18:03 pm 

thanks for the info :), just wondered would they have worn other italian uniforms like the m40 or m41, or m1933 service shirts, just with air force insignia ?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 21:48 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: battaglione Alpini sciatori Monte Cervino
There is an excellent thread on WAF on R.A. flying gear. Plenty of pictures. Some pictures can be seen without logging in, but to see all you to join.

Regia Aeronautica,flying gear & equipment

Pista! Jeff