WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 23:40 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Reenacting San Marco
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:53 am 

Corporal Bang wrote:
Well, next time we are at a display together come to the Polish display and sample some Wisniowka - that is where the Virtuti Militari grow! (Either that or I will just get in a bottle of Sliwowica... :twisted: )

:lol: I tried to match Anna relatives in Poland with wodka drinking on a visit over there, I didn't succeed :shock:

I've an italian silk and lanyard coming over, so just need stivali and a basco for a walking out uniform. Next helmet, gaiters, webbing... 8)

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 15:43 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Poland '39 LHG; Odwach Polish army of 1939-1945
Mike Penver wrote:
:lol: I tried to match Anna relatives in Poland with wodka drinking on a visit over there, I didn't succeed :shock:

I never try to match Poles drinking anything! However, I have been invited to a wedding in Poland next year, and I saw something about traditional weddings in Poland having extra-strong vodka made especially for them - at a rate of one bottle per guest... :shock:

Poland - first to fight!

Member of Poland '39 LHG & Odwach - 1939 Polish army

https://www.facebook.com/Poland1939
http://www.odwach.pl/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 19:51 pm 

on Ebay.it at moment 99 Euro.

http://cgi.ebay.it/elmo-m33-regia-marin ... 240%3A1318

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 21:21 pm 

Found some more pictures, first shows the cuff badge worn on sleeve with combat gear:
second shows cuff badge position below white stripes, note navy caps:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 21:22 pm 

Also nice picture of beret lion badges:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:07 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Good pics there Mike!

Those definitely show the bits we have been discussing.

What is the dagger on their belts? Is that the same as I have seem issued to the Folgore?

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:58 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: Mediterraneo WW2 Italian Reenactment Group
Andy,

It certainly is... I'll post pics of mine later.

great pic's by the way, Mike. Keep them coming.

Neil

IF, and only IF, there is a war, we may provide you with a camouflage hood or cap in times of wet weather (Quote from the 1936 drill manual for the REI)

Telo Tenda Mimetico Modello 1929. Keeping Farbs dry at night since 1978

Its a Tent! Its a Poncho! Its a Ground Sheet! Its a Camouflage against the enemy. My word, its even a waterproof sleeping bag! It is not, however, German.

M33 Elmetto. Good against shrapnel. Great for grinding coffee. For that superb sweat encrusted taste.[/size]
http://ww2italianreenactment.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 15:56 pm 
4000+ Poster

Dagger and bayonet? That's interesting...

Is yours a repro? Or genuine?

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 16:05 pm 
1000+ Poster

Ok, here is a pic of my original Fighting knife. It is the one on the left.

Ok, the one on the right is a repro M38 Fighting knife. Repro?... I hear you say.

Oh yes indeedy. They are available here,

http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/cPath/159_160/products_id/912

However, as you can see, its not as spot on as one would like. The Handle is fine, but the rivets are too small. The hand-guard is not big enough, and the blade seems a little distorted, but for $35.... who's complaining!!!!

Another company also makes them, and they are in Italy. Here's a link..

http://www.teamone.it/teamone/pugnali.html

Their repro is slightly better, but at 250 euro's, it might be better to save up for a real one!!!! (Originals cost up to around £250, depending on the condition of it. be wary, as some repro's have been 'upped' to look like originals.

Just as a note, i believe that some Scabbards were produced with the fouled anchor emblem, and the legend 'R.M.' embossed on the front. These crop up very rarely, and are big bucks.

Another type of sort after fighting knife is the Art Deco handled fighting knife. It has a black bakelite handle, in the form of a stylised lion. This is a San Marco fighting knife, but i believe was reserved for officers. It is uber money for this. It is extremely rare.

Neil

IF, and only IF, there is a war, we may provide you with a camouflage hood or cap in times of wet weather (Quote from the 1936 drill manual for the REI)

Its a Tent! Its a Poncho! Its a Ground Sheet! Its a Camouflage against the enemy. My word, its even a waterproof sleeping bag! It is not, however, German.

M33 Elmetto. Good against shrapnel. Great for grinding coffee. For that superb sweat encrusted taste.[/size]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 16:13 pm 
4000+ Poster

Cheers for showing us that Neil. Looks like that M38 knife is about as good a repro as the Soviet Zik-40 scout knife we use in RKKA stuff... ie pretty rubbish. Looks like its made by the same people too... still, $35 is what, about 400 of her majesty's pounds at the moment :D bargain!

(I shall have to buy one!)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 17:43 pm 

Yep thanks Neil, I shall get one somewhen.

From the looks of the clip on the scabbard , it just clips over the belt? So couldn't be worn without a belt?

When was it worn? Only on parades and duty I suppose?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:50 am 
1000+ Poster

The knife is a fighting knife, and was worn on parades and in combat. It essentially clips onto the belt via a d-ring arrangement. These were either sewn on by the marines themselves, or a d-ring attachment was placed on there by the manufacturer. The clip is small, and only just goes over the 1907 pattern leather belt. As most Regio Esercito uniforms came with an integral cloth belt, it is worn on that as a form of walking out dress, but in combat duties, d-ring arrangements were offered.

Neil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 18:10 pm 

Got these repro beret lions from Filatelica, put some red felt behind them. Which one do you think looks best?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 20:58 pm 
4000+ Poster

Think the left hand one looks more like my perception of what the photos show.

San Marco is gonna look pretty bling'ed up at this rate 8) (<-- those are Gucci shades of course, I'm getting into this Italian style thing now)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 0:03 am 
1000+ Poster

Guys,

I think its supposed to haave a red triangle behind it, even on the beret. I'll check my references and get back to ya.

Looking forward to seeing some Maro's at shows!!

Neil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:29 am 

SuperMario wrote:
Guys,

I think its supposed to haave a red triangle behind it, even on the beret. I'll check my references and get back to ya.

Looking forward to seeing some Maro's at shows!!

Neil

Thanks Neil, I was going on the photos and thought the left hand one looked ok. The more info the better, of course. I'm looking forward to wearing the uniform next year. :)

Andy, I've got a spare if you want it I can bring it to Chatham.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next