WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 19:52 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Reenacting San Marco
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 23:19 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Mediterraneo WW2 Italian Reenactment Group
Andrei Kozlov wrote:

Ah, this helmet you mean, with the decal on the side.

looks to be late war, no crown on the stencil,possibly some anti sub or mine sweeping flotilla, judging by the lighting bolts hitting fish type emblem on the side. Never seen pic's of San Marco bearing decals at all. Decima Mas late war, yes. SM... no. That kind of decal is safer to wear on a slab grey Ship, as it won't stick out like it would in normal foliage and fauna ....

Neil

IF, and only IF, there is a war, we may provide you with a camouflage hood or cap in times of wet weather (Quote from the 1936 drill manual for the REI)

Telo Tenda Mimetico Modello 1929. Keeping Farbs dry at night since 1978

Its a Tent! Its a Poncho! Its a Ground Sheet! Its a Camouflage against the enemy. My word, its even a waterproof sleeping bag! It is not, however, German.

M33 Elmetto. Good against shrapnel. Great for grinding coffee. For that superb sweat encrusted taste.[/size]
http://ww2italianreenactment.com/

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 23:41 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Ok, cheers Neil!

So just a plain green job then? No stencil? Or sand coloured for Tobruk? Or a plain green with hessian cover?

Sorry, so many questions!

PS like my new avatar? 8)

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 23:47 pm 
1000+ Poster

Well, its down to personal preference. it'll be your Impression, you choose what you like. Personally, i like the Grigio-Verde helmet with Stencil, all blackened by combat, with a sprinkling of dust for effect.

However, its what suits you Andy. What ever you do, its gonna look Frikkin Good!!!

Neil

ps, lurve the new avatar..... I have come out in Folgore stylee to compliment your change. 8)

IF, and only IF, there is a war, we may provide you with a camouflage hood or cap in times of wet weather (Quote from the 1936 drill manual for the REI)

Its a Tent! Its a Poncho! Its a Ground Sheet! Its a Camouflage against the enemy. My word, its even a waterproof sleeping bag! It is not, however, German.

M33 Elmetto. Good against shrapnel. Great for grinding coffee. For that superb sweat encrusted taste.[/size]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 0:00 am 
4000+ Poster

Well, just looking for some suggestions on the elmetto.... I've no idea what things are authentic at this point :(

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 0:30 am 
1000+ Poster

Andy,

Look at the contemporary evidence. They seem to be Grigio verde, and a little dusty. Sand paint was at a premium in the desert. If troops got hold of it, then they got a-painting, but most pics show G-V helmets. A stencil is a badge of honour, especially for troops like the San Marco. We use Stencils on our Alpini Helmets, as well as our Bersaglieri (Not however, our Fologre, as they rarely got applied) I think the hessian covers that Andrea and his guys are wearing are only on to hide any Decima Mas insignia they normally wear. If in doubt, go for what the photo's show. :D

Neil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:55 am 

I've relooked at various photos and despite some being difficult to see, I've found not one helmet with a stencil on, but all look to be grigio verde. Think I'll go with a plain, unstenciled helmet :oops: I think the uniforms are going to be so strikingly different from anything else anyway.

I wondered about a bacso badge. Andreas photos show an anchor, but some photos and again it's hard to see, seem to show a small winged lion badge?

You're right Andy, so many questions. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:28 am 
4000+ Poster

Well, I think I'll go with the verde m33, if I can find someone who will stencil the fouled anchor on correctly I'll add that too.

Just need to find the flippin' elmetto in grandi taglia now...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:41 am 
1000+ Poster

Ah, the cap badge.

Now, i was going on what i could see Andrea wearing, but my book 'I paracadutisti 1937-45' show's San Marco Marine Para's wearing the winged lion too. As its a specific unit eg the San Marco, then perhaps it should be the Winged lion......

More research methinks....

http://www.filatelicafiorentina.com/prodotti/dettaglio.asp?IDA=4961&IDC=531&PAG=

perhaps this is the cap badge???

Neil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 18:26 pm 

It may be Neil, it may be.

I enlarged some of the photos I was looking at and this is the only one where you can really see the badge. Looks like a winged lion to me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 20:41 pm 
1000+ Poster

Ok, got some info, From Paolo marzetti,

Tan Berets were used. Cap badge is the winged lion on a red background. Metal Cap badge.

So, looks like the Lion on Filatelica's page is the one to use, with a red felt background.

Also used was a tan version of the sailors cap, as well as the regulation M35 Pith Helmet, with San Marco cap tally attached to the crown of the helmet.

Neil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 22:12 pm 

Interseting info Neil, so a tan beret is ok. I'll look into getting both a tan and grigio verde. I've some red felt indoors, so with the badge, I could probably get a walking out uniform together.

Then it's just the gaiters, webbing and helmet. Is there a shade of paint that you can get hold of easily to repaint with?

Is the cap all tan or is it just a tan cover over the top? I bet a san marco cap tally is rocking horse!! :)

Thanks for all the info, Neil.

Mike.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 16:09 pm 

:) as there's an avatar change happening, thought I'd follow suit and use this. Probably a poster but it's on the cover of a book and I like it.

San marco with cap,silk and lanyard as per La regia marina:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 22:04 pm 
1000+ Poster

Ah. ya gotta love those Italian propaganda postcards..... :D

Nice Avatar Mike! Your journey to the dark side is almost complete..... :lol:

Neil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:36 am 

:lol: I think you're right Neil.

Found this on Ebay, think I'll keep an eye on it. Probably go for big bucks though.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ITALIAN-WWII-REGI ... 240%3A1309

Think the badge on the helmet Andy posted is ANTISOM (antisommergibili) antisubmarine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:18 am 
4000+ Poster

Interesting helmet... note the stencil with the crown.

However this is grey, and we don't want RM grey do we?

My limited knowledge of the subject suggests that is a good helmet though and like you say could well go for many Lire...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 14:37 pm 

Andrei Kozlov wrote:
Interesting helmet... note the stencil with the crown.

However this is grey, and we don't want RM grey do we?

My limited knowledge of the subject suggests that is a good helmet though and like you say could well go for many Lire...

The anchor with crown was what attracted me. I didn't notice the colour much, I thought it was a grey green? This one need some work ending soon, I wondered about colour for repainting?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0327236251

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next