WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:43 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Helmet sizes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 22:50 pm 

Group: Volkssturm Werwolf
..I notice a bulk seller of WW2 type (50s dated) helmets on weebay is offering 2 different sizes, a small/med and a med/large...was this WW2 practice ? ( rather like Fascist Hyena helmets that came in many shell sizes)
..I would have thought it more likely that for Red Army one size was for all...any ideas ??

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Helmet sizes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:33 am 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
From the date they'd likely be the SSh40. This (well really the SSh39) saw the introduction of a simplified helmet shell sizing. They come in sizes 1, 2 and 3 - 1 being the smallest.

Here's some stuff I did earlier...

Quote:
RKKA helmets used in the war are one of three types. To start with the StalyShlem(SSh) 36

And liner

This saw use into early 1943 but was incredibly rare by that time. I've only ever seen one in a picture of front line troops that is definitely post 1942.

The main ones are the SSh39 and SSh40.

The SSh39

This is distinguishable by the three rivets placed high on the shell and it having the same liner as the SSh36.

This was shortly replaced by the SSh40 which was the same shell but with a three pad liner that provided greater stability.

This is easily identified by the six rivets placed low on the helmet.

This SSh40 is the best option as it continued in production until 1960 and post war examples are easy to find at reasonable cost.

And for the post war changes so you don't get caught out...

Quote:
The first postwar change to the wartime SSh40 was the introduction of a Y shaped chinstrap the same as the NVA's M56 helmet. This is designated SSh40m

This was far from universal and is often mislabeled as a para helmet. It was used exclusively by Motor Rifle troops.

The first major change was the SSh60.

And liner

As you can see this retained the shell of the SSh40 but changed to a four pad liner secured by four rivets high on the shell.

Then the SSh68 was introduced

Nicknamed the Conehead for obvious reasons it has the same four pad liner as the SSh60.

Finally, the thing to watch out for on Fleabay...

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:34 am 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
And just in case he's a counter-revolutionary wrecker...the post war satellite helmets to avoid.

Quote:
In 1952 the USSR supplied SSh40 shells to the Czechoslovakian People's Army. They fitted their own liners, called them M52 and from the following year produced their own copy calling it the M53.

And liner

M52s are distinguishable by having both three small rivets high on the shell and six small rivets lower down while M53s only have the three small rivets.

While the correct shape this is the wrong colour, has the wrong liner, the wrong chinstrap and is the wrong thickness of metal. Most, if not all, of the so called Russian WW2 helmets on eBay are of this type and to make matters worse they have a post 1989 nylon webbing chinstrap. If you really must wear one then come and reenact CSLA with me! :wink:

The Polish M31/50

And liner

The pre-war Polish helmet with a new liner used right into the 1980s despite the M67 (below) being introduced in 1967(!).

The Hungarian M70 (aka M50/65)

And liner

Using any of the above is similar to using a Bundeswehr M60/62 as an American helmet.

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:23 am 

Group: Volkssturm Werwolf
Spasibo Tovaritch, a fine and concise overview !
The ones I saw were the ssh 40 with a correct liner I believe, was just not sure as the idea of different shell sizes I thought may have been a later thing, but presumably that's ok then, they had sizes 1 and 2..I guess 2 was most common as it's in the middle !