WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 13:59 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: The return of film !!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 15:32 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Not really sure where to put this to be honest but as it is item specific here is probably a good start .. in the news today ...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/kodak-u-tu ... ng-9708840

... and about time too frankly ... !!!!!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 17:21 pm 

Lets hope the high street processing shops will get on board and develop B&W at a reasonable price .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 17:38 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Actually .. lets hope the high street shops will get on board and process films properly ... !!
I have lost a few pics because of their incompetence, I get told I have 'underexposed' the film. They get quite rattled when I tell them of my background in photography and point out to them that the fogged area of film should be dense whereas it is opaque, also the lettering at the edge of the film isn't 'just' to identify it and have a frame number, it is another indicator towards development ... and that it is their processing that is at fault, either the chemicals are old and/or not being replenished properly, or the wrong temperature or the machine speed is wrong .... !!
I got into a little spat with a female operator of the local Spielman place, she got annoyed with me when I asked her questions about her photographic training and ability, it seems that a lot of these operators don't have any at all, they are simply trained to operate the machines ... says it all really ... !!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 17:46 pm 

A bit like the ones that work at McD's you wouldn't call them chefs would you .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 17:51 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

lol ... good analogy ... yes exactly .... !!

Maybe Kodak will go back to processing too ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:03 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Voorwaarts MARS
They're working on bringing back Ektachrome slide film

And they are LOOKING INTO what it takes to bring back Kodachrome....not holding my breath there though.
If they do bring back Kodachrome in 4x5" sheet film it will spell financial doom for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:05 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Group: Glamorgan Home Guard, AFRA
Correspondent wrote:
Actually .. lets hope the high street shops will get on board and process films properly ... !!
I have lost a few pics because of their incompetence, I get told I have 'underexposed' the film. They get quite rattled when I tell them of my background in photography and point out to them that the fogged area of film should be dense whereas it is opaque, also the lettering at the edge of the film isn't 'just' to identify it and have a frame number, it is another indicator towards development ... and that it is their processing that is at fault, either the chemicals are old and/or not being replenished properly, or the wrong temperature or the machine speed is wrong .... !!
I got into a little spat with a female operator of the local Spielman place, she got annoyed with me when I asked her questions about her photographic training and ability, it seems that a lot of these operators don't have any at all, they are simply trained to operate the machines ... says it all really ... !!

my pet hate !!

I spent 33 years in the photo processing industry and during my time I did every job from sweeping the floor to Operations Manager of a Lab processing 35,000 films per day !

When I look at these high street 'Johnnys', I have to agree with you, most have learned what they do pigeon fashion and have no real knowledge of the photographic process. More importantly, they don't have a real appreciation of photographic quality.

I rarley use them anymore.

"LIFE IS GOOD" - Hitcock45

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:59 am 

That is great news! Now if they only would bring back the 122 format... I have the cameras but no film was made for them since 1971. A-116 would be kind, too - first they make a film that only fits their products and then they discontinue it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:30 am 

Group: BBC War Reporting Unit
Good news - funnily enough it's the very chain you've just mentioned who totally destroyed a film of mine - ripped it, got fingerprints all over the negatives and after they've printed them (badly) and handed me the prints, couldn't supply the negatives for me to inspect the damage, order a reprint or a refund. Won't use them again.