WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 22:07 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 19:24 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
This weekend PBI did our first gig, and this is our first outing in our secondary impression - 6th North Staffordshire Regiment, 59th (Staffordshire) Division. We attended the Battle of Darley Dale in the peak district (although we nicknamed it the Battle of Hill -4). We turned up on the Friday night and dug a trench and camped out for the night. It reached a nice -4C and after about 1-2 hours kip we were all awake freezing cold. We got little sleep for the rest of the night. In the morning we prepared our position to defend against a likely German assault, but saw the Germans had gone further down the hill. After trying to flank them they spotted us and came after us. Deciding what to do they then got hit in the rear by an American force who we ended up being able to link up with. The rest of the day was spent travelling with the yanks as their fire support group (we were doing a 3 man Bren section) and went for a good 6 mile trek chasing Jerry. By the end of the day we were truly knackered (all of us falling asleep in full kit where we sat when we had a break). But the day was truly an eye-opening experience for us about what it must have been like to live in the field. We even lived out of the proper rations! We have all taken something away from this, beyond the Peak Districts mud! Truly a wonderful experience, if exhausting! After a day we had had enough, and our hats go off to those who did this for days at a time (and those who still do!).

We would also just like to say a thankyou to the Americans for being so inviting and friendly and for inviting us long! We did enjoy our time and hope to bump into again soon!

Please keep an eye on our Facebook page (or here) as we will be releasing the dates of events very soon!

https://www.facebook.com/poorbloodyinfantry

Trying to keep warm at 0200hrs. Yes we were lucky, we decided to break the rules and have a fire. A luxury the guys wouldn't have had I suspect!

Pouring the all important brew to keep us warm!

Having breakfast (porridge).

The position as seen from the bottom of the hill. We were going to cover the mounds of earth in the turf we had cut away but in the end couldn't be bothered as we knew we wouldn't be there long. Also we tried to not be on the brow of the hill so we wouldn't be silhouetted but looking back on these photos, we evidently should have been a little further forward!

Looking for Jerry!

The breakfast watch!

The view from our trench. Yes, that is sheep! And yes, they were in the field all night! We soon learnt how difficult it is to keep a trench organised when you are knackered and genuinely don't really care. But we tried to keep it as organised as possible and make sure we would be ready to go when we needed to!

Waiting for Jerry!

Spotting Jerry!

After chasing Jerry for 3 hours, we finally got a lunch break! Here you can see how all we wanted to do was just dump the kit and get it off our backs! It really was exhausting to wear it all and we did constantly try to think of, if we could, what kit would we ditch! As you can see in this photo, as soon as the kit is off, a brew is being made! :D

How we all felt at this point!

Brewing up! Best part of the day! :D It was also interesting to see how little 2 pints of water in your water bottle is! We tried to use one bottle between the three of us for one brew and that just about got half a tin mug full of tea for all of us. Water really was precious!

A photo of a knackered me with a nice backdrop of hills. You see those sneak peaked hills (which was slightly worse further to the left)? Yeah, thats where we ended up. -_-

Tommy on the march. Notice the auxiliary pouches. I found these incredibly difficult to wear. I have worn them the way the manual states with one front and one back. What I realised was that the small pack gets in the way (hence the back one is hanging underneath). I quickly learnt to really tighten the waist strap to stop them moving about, which it did. But the shoulder strap itself frequently kept slowly slipping off my shoulder. A royal nuisance it was!

For me, this photo captures the spirit of the Tommy! Despite being completely exhausted, this tommy has still put on a good V for Victory sign! We were all still rather motivated throughout the day, despite the fact we were exhausted! This particularly tommy is carrying the spare parts wallet. We had alot of fun watching him moving this bag about during the day. For most of the day he has it on his back, but at this point you can see he has it on his front!

Tommy and the backdrop! One to note here is the chinstrap! Commonly alot of us wear our helmets with the strap behind our heads (as I'm sure alot of photos show as well). Alot of us quickly learnt that in battle thats completely impractical. The helmet is bumping about on your head and rolling all over the place. We really needed that chinstrap to keep it in place! A very interesting (if bleedin obvious) lesson I felt!

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 20:55 pm 

Group: 1st Infantry Division (USA)
Great effort lads, It certainly was cold fri' night and we were in pup tents with sleeping bags and blankets. good working with you and a very impressive impression.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 21:02 pm 
1000+ Poster

Haha! Tell me about! Was something else! Just glad it wasn't really windy or raining!

Hope you guys had a good day today and huge apologies we couldn't stay. But we deemed it best to pull out then. We'd got our experience and felt best not to push our bodies further at that point! haha!

Thanks for having us and hopefully bump into you again soon!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 19:48 pm 

Group: 1st us Infantry
Yes well done lads it was great to meet you all hope we can support each other in the future .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 19:51 pm 
1000+ Poster

Hope we can too mate! Was a fab time!

If anyone is interested we have put a small video together of what we got up to at the weekend. Apologies to the Americans as you don't really feature in it. And little of the marching and fighting (firstly because we were busy and secondly because I read we couldn't haha!). But hope it gives some idea of what we got up to. Hoping to film more of PBIs events throughout the year! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7s9yAM6qMs

Joe.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:49 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Group: US 2nd Infantry 39-45 Society
Brilliant event and great weekend! Well done to everyone who managed to slog through it haha

Give this ginger your finest factor 50 suncream!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:52 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Some of the US pics

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by sgtLiam2ID on Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:54 pm 
1000+ Poster

Ah yes! I remember that bumping into the cavalry! :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:55 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I fell out the treeline through the mud and a pair of mini horses appeared haha