WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:17 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 20:01 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Surely 620 is available from a number of sources. or am I out of touch.
that rather pulls the rug from under my question.
Some more recent 120s will go into some 620 cameras without respooling, just check the light traps and be prepared to tape over the openings.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 20:16 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
This from a Kodak info site if it helps ;;

Although mostly used by Kodak cameras the 620 format, introduced by Kodak in 1931 as an intended alternative to the 120, became very popular. It is essentially the same film on a thinner and narrower all-metal spool (the 120 spool core was made of wood at that time) :

120 2.466" width, 0.990" flange, 0.468" core
620 2.468" width, 0.905" flange, 0.280" core

Hence the 620 is sometime referred as "small hole" 6x6 or 6x9 as opposed to 120 "large hole". The 620 format was discontinued by Kodak in 1995, but it is possible to rewind 120 film onto a 620 spool in the darkroom to enable use of 620 cameras.

It would depend on the size of the spool hole on the 120 putting it into a 620 camera I think, and the amount of play on the wind and rewind cycles with a possible risk of a jam, worth a dry trial run with an exposed film though.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:47 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Voorwaarts MARS
Without paying a fortune for a conversion to 120 film, there is no way I can fit a 120 film spool into my Kodak Medalist I Cameras. Kodak made sure of that. I know some of the folding cameras can accept both types of film.

There are select group of websites selling 620 film, one of which is http://www.filmforclassics.com .
There are a few more but I can't recall their names ...frugalphotography? -photographer? Jancdsomething....
The one from film for classics is a bit expensive, $8 per roll I believe.

Another pain, if you are not developing yourself, you have to ask the developers to return the 620 spools to you when handing them in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:00 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

By the way,

This is currently my favourite camera combo:

Leica IIIa + Vidom viewfinder + 90mm Elmar telephoto lens, all from around 1937

Not exactly getting the hang of it yet:
some results

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:28 am 
 WWW  Profile

Mr_Flibble wrote:
There are select group of websites selling 620 film, one of which is http://www.filmforclassics.com .
There are a few more but I can't recall their names ...frugalphotography? -photographer? Jancdsomething....
The one from film for classics is a bit expensive, $8 per roll I believe.

And they are still selling it!!!
yes the medallist would be the real test for a reprofiled spool.
So its not just a price thing then. the fuji is $7 but comes down to $5 on a 100, but probably not worth stocking.
But it seems I am going to have to do my own tests on various cameras, unless i get volunteers.
I have been meaning try some of Frugal's 127 , works out a lot dearer than the adox though, and probably be too modern. Anyone tried it?? Its a format i love. especially for Printing Outs, because I have frames in strange sizes. POP goes down well in live demos
Is anyone else doing it?
Latest new, i just found a date stamp (1930-1960) and some AM and SO pencils for my AFPU contact filing system. and the correct slateboard for the id and pass photos. Just little things and cheap but I do love the details.
Funny thing though. When trying to get the "Military Intelligence" embossing matrix for the Pass photos, they thought I was up to some kind of international mischief and are insisting on changes to the wording. Not sure what to put now.
(oops typist complaining)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:44 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Mr Flibble, that is a nice piece of equipment and looks to be in good condition too, my compliments.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:52 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

I have no cameras that take 127 at this point. But otherwise I'd probably buy it from http://www.efke.nl (closest supplier)
Does frugal cut their own brand of film like filmforclassics?

I bought the Leica and extras through http://www.keh.com . If you're not looking for a collector-grade camera they offer some nice bargains.

Post subject: Its just a box really.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 13:03 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Hers some pics of the field lab with the rebuilt top; before final painting and fitting of the frame for the blackout material, and the front workshelf. and rope handles
Theres a couple of things in there I have yet to find proof to period for in the catalogues or patents files. also the the early spirit darkroom lamp that should have been thrown out by the 40s. but then it still works!
Theres always some more stuff to add and I have yet to decide if i want to actually wire it up to run on a battery source or from the power supply for the 16mm projector. ie 110 volts. if it all.
I have decide not to make the questionable stand until I can find suitable info. but i have managed to find a 1941 GR stamped trestle table for it in the meantime.
Yes I know its got Kodak glassware, but I hit a brickwall with finding anything better.
Although its not to be seen, I also had problems with the correct chemistry scales, the ones I have are folding postal scales with a purpose made top.
The hardest thing to find was the small velox paper packs to match my dad's contact prints..so these are civilian wrapping I may do some overlabels when I next print off some packaging repros.
I desperately need some pics or reference for water preparations/use in a tropical desert setting either military or archaeological
Any comments most welcome...have I missed anything?
I will take some pics of the bigger stuff when I have time.

Spot the pic of Gracie Fields taken by my Dad in Egypt Image
Image[/i]

pps Frugal claim their 127 to be made in the USA rather than Croatia (?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 13:12 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Mr_Flibble wrote:

I note with interest that the 620 film suppied by this company is in fact respooled 120 film ...

"All 620-sized film is respooled 120-sized film, replacing the larger 120 spool with the somewhat smaller 620 spool".

... and no doubt the same applies for other companies too, the point being why pay for something you can do yourself; Anyone I think handling film and paper would find it relatively easy to do, especially those doing their own processing and printing, the overriding problem being getting hold of 620 spools maybe, and as has been noted, if using commercial processing labs, asking for the spools back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 13:24 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

I am impressed, well done, a nice little field kit.

I have one of thsoe spirit lamps too, unfortunately the original ( deep red) glass is broken but still there, and it is marked on the front,

' Masons Photo Stores, Godwin St Bradford and Queen Victoria Street Leeds'

It is as you rightly point out, probably slightly out of time, but then again I doubt if it would have been discarded regardless, after all in time of blackout, with no power, whnat better than an oil lamp.
If it is of any use to you, please let me know and you can have it, I picked it up eons ago .. chuckle .. and it has only been gathering dust since.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 13:49 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Masons Photo Stores, Bradford ? oh i think ihave an embossed card photo mount of theirs...in a pile somewhere.
Thanks for the offer of the lamp, but you should keep it as, one day you may decide you need it...Thats what happens with me..always trying to find stuff i dont have any more.
Mine is marked " The Selector" it has both red glass and an orange painted canvas screen which i think was required for the "Carbro" process as it came with a lot of paper marked up for that.

Thanks for comment re kit.. all being well i hope to be using it in a display sometime next Summer, probably in a civilian guise at a railway event, if I can get the space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 14:22 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Looking at your picture again, I can see differences in the lamps. Mine has the heat vent at the top of the lamp, and also has a folding front on two legs; You call yours a spirit lamp, I think this one is more for paraffin or lamp oil too, maybe it is a later version ??
It is there for the asking my friend as I will never use it.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 14:41 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Pics of the lamp ;

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g77/A ... /Lamp2.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g77/A ... /Lamp1.jpg

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:20 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

That's a very nice lab, diggerdave. I have no idea what goes into one of these. Looks pretty complete to me ;)

I've thought about taking pictures and developing/printing them at events, something like 1-hour photo for re-enactors. Perhaps take photos of members of the public and sell them.
I've not got the proper equipment for it, but it would be great to have a complete Signal Corps Darkroom tent and all required extras.
Alas, most of it is impossible to get hold of these days :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:47 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Hmmm .. chuckle now theres a thought .. :D ??

In the RAF we had mobile darkrooms, about the size of the thing Fred Dibnah towed behind his steam roller only made of metal. I guess it may be possible to find a surplus one of those, but it may be a bit heavy to pull :roll: also Im not sure as to what date they would hark back to .. but ... its a thought :wink: !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:43 am 
 WWW  Profile

Correspondent, your lamp is a tad earlier than mine and quite a bit bigger. I have on similar somewhere.
From my delvings , for general interest.---
trailer labs seem to have come in around 1942 with the Canadians, the Anzacs went for overcab vans on lorry chassis.But this was with the proliferation of 9 inch film from aerial cameras (theres some later version of this kind of kit on ebay at the moment....i am not bidding). The drying machines for this were three foot in diameter!
My interest is mainly from the press angle and early war so I went for a small kit . It s based on the kits that the big photo retailers advertised for rich oriental princes , explorers and the like in the 30s.. they came with chains for strapping to pack animals. Of course they were originally made for glass plates.
Its very hard to track down in info, but there are some catalogues and ads in early photo mags in the British Library,,,mainly a bit too early .
The Indian PRFU evidently had kits of this size at inception , donated by the Times of india, so probably secondhand.
Its also useful for my 1930s bohemian arty types presentation.
I am hoping it makes a good display ,,,and educational , as with the progress of digital cameras a lot of people , esp kids have no idea about how it used to be done. I cant get insurance though,,,yet
I should really be looking for a good tent to house it but I now have the plans for Airgraph machine from the patents office, mmm very tempting. project
I might get it out to a show next year,, but I can only do one a month and there is more interest in the other shows. And of course I am far too old and frail to portay any military person. So I am quite prepared to discuss loaning it out if any one is planning a suitable display., and feel it may add something.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next