WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 18:53 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:28 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Malta Command WW2 LHG
the film advance part is missing.. but i'll find a way of getting it to work.. a la Mac Gyver..

out of the 2 latches only 1 is left. and even when i open that the front piece only comes out 1/2 a centimeter.. it seens to be held by sonething at the bottom.. :S:S
is it worth trying to open?.. i mean is there film available for it? and will it look wartime?

still puzzled but thanks for the help:D

http://www.maltacommand.com

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 13:00 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Voorwaarts MARS
I am pretty sure yours is a 120 film version. That is still available today from most photographer-shops. I order mine online myself. I think yours can pass off as a WWII-period camera. Most leather/paper covered box cameras do. The bakelite/plastic ones are another story.

If your camera turns out to be the 620 film version it is still usable but it's harder/more expensive to get film. If you are so inclined you could respool 120 film onto 620 film reels in a darkroom or with a change-bag. I find it a PITA, but it is the cheapest option.

I assume the little red window at the back shows nothing but blackness?

It just hit me what the problem might be.
The broken film-advance is preventing the two halves from separating.
Normally you have to pull out the film-advance knob a bit so it comes free of the spool in the internal frame.

Last edited by Mr_Flibble on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 13:13 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Malta Command WW2 LHG
i was wondering what that little red window is for..

i opened it, (had to pull out the film advance thingy) but no film inside unfortunately :( here's how it looks:

does it come apart any further?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.maltacommand.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 13:44 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

From the empty spool I can tell you that it is definitely a 120-film camera.

Futher I've learned that Coronet started production in France after the war, (to get around import taxes) As yours is made in the UK it is quite possible that it is a war-time one.

Holding the front end up against the light and looking in at the back you can see if the shutter works when you flip the switch.

For further disassembly I expect the frame to come away from the front (possibly complete with the shutter and the lens. I bet it's held in place by those those small metal lips between the shutter-switch and the viewfiender.

Disclaimer: I am no camera expert, continue at your own risk ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 17:50 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

My War-time Kodak family with their 'youngest' addition (front left, Kodak "PH-324")

I got the PH-324 for a very reasonable price, considering they're going for at least 350 UKP these days. I bought mine at a live-auction for $125.

I've cleaned the lens, used some gun oil on the small joints in the pop-up viewfinder to get it to pop-up again. some more use of grease on the bigger components and I gave the shutter some exercise to get the dried out grease out of the mechanism. The only thing I didn't dare touch was the self-timer...as these are kinda notorious on the Diomatic shutters :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:19 am 
2000+ Poster

Ok chaps, camera ID time.
Last night someone gave me [late chrimbo pressie] a Zeiss Ikonta. I'm thoroughly confused by the zillions of models on websites where it seems even website owners disagree on whats what LOL.
Its 6x9 format [I did have the sense to open it ;)] Its got 2 red windows on the back [I assume 120 film]
The lens is a 1-4.5 F 75mm Anastigmat Novar number 1222801. Compur shutter with settings T B 1,2,5,10,25,50,100 and 300. Its sticky on any below 10 but funnily enough seems on on the others. Or maybe I am hamfisted.
My work colleague's father ran a dev.print buisness doing about 40 years in the trade. He's had this camera longer, and said to me it had been stuck in a lab drawer for at least 30 odd years. Its clean and dry and comes with the leather case.
So, what model is it and how do I ID the year etc..? THe front with the words Zeiss Ikon and Compur is black, the focus is a milled finish black [to aid grip I assume] with the number 1155580 and the very outside edge where the shutter speed dial is nickel or chrome. [needs polish]. The bellows are in super nick and gawd isnt the flip out eye window thingy a joke ;)
Help appreciated !
ttfn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:03 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

I can't find anything on 6x9 format Ikonta's using f4.5 75mm Novar lenses. Only the 6x6 ones come up and and those are the 523/16 an 524/16 Ikonta Bs, both built from 1954 to 1956. The others using this lens are the Nettar and the Nettax

The 6x9 ones in general use 105mm lenses.

A photo would help I guess ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 16:28 pm 
2000+ Poster

Right, I will get onto it. I was told something about the post war camera lenses being Chrome, then I found one on a german dealers site that was from 38 or 39?

Anyway. Inside on the back it says 6cm or 2 1/4in x 3 something?
I'll get the digi cam out tomorrow. Thanks for the reply. I was a bit stuck with the Novar lens too. Since its actually a pretty small camera I think it could be a Ikonta A, and maybe I have got mixed up with something, since he was so insistent it was pre war. Of course, it might not be LOL

ttfn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 19:01 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

2 1/4 x 3 1/4 is definitely 6x9cm, flip-up viewfinders are as far as I know a pre-war feature of the Ikontas

It wouldn't happen to be a Super Ikonta C would it? Because you mentioned the two red windows at the back...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 22:47 pm 

Mr_Flibble wrote:
2 1/4 x 3 1/4 is definitely 6x9cm, flip-up viewfinders are as far as I know a pre-war feature of the Ikontas

It wouldn't happen to be a Super Ikonta C would it? Because you mentioned the two red windows at the back...
Assumimg that the 'flip out eye window thingy' to which MattGibbs refers is part of the range finder and not a flip up view finder, the camera must be one of the Super Ikontas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:04 am 
2000+ Poster

Hi guys, you are very kind.
It's not a Super Ikonta though, its not that good! ;) There is not a rangefinder. I have added a pic of it. I am wondering if it is maybe a Baby Ikonta? There was no numbers or anything to be found on it anywhere. I just got a couple of rolls of 120 film and put one in so I am gonna take a roll and see what the lens is like. [and what my lightmeter using skills are like LOL]
Incidentally I dunno if the case is original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:16 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Not completely sure but it looks like a 6x6cm or a 6x4,5cm instead of a 6x9cm version to me. That would explain the 75mm lens. The shape of the viewfinder suggests 6x4,5cm to me. Only way to be sure is to measure the exposure area inside the camera I guess.

It's definitely not a Baby Ikonta:
  • Baby Ikonta uses 127 Film, which is not interchangable with 120 film, not to mention harder to get
  • Baby Ikonta's have 50mm lenses
  • Also the locking mechanism for the back of the Baby Ikonta is different from the other models...

If I were to venture a guess I'd say you have a Zeiss Ikonta A, 520.

Are the red windows at the back protected by a slide? If not it's definitely an A, and you should cover those up with a bit of masking tape on the outside or they'll fog the edge of the film.

Anyway, looks like a nice little shooter. Zeiss Ikons are quite nice cameras. I'm still kind of sorry that I sold my Zeiss Ikon Nettar last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:37 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Oh, and the lens serial number: 1222801 seems to point to the end of 1930.
About the same time the first Ikonta 520 was introduced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 15:11 pm 
2000+ Poster

I've had a look at some photos of 520's on the web and I think you're right. When I have shot this load of film I'll have a go at taping up the red windows partially to help. I assume you can't totally cover it up because otherwise how do you know how far the film is wound on?
Anyway - thanks!
ttfn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 16:20 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

MattGibbs wrote:
. I assume you can't totally cover it up because otherwise how do you know how far the film is wound on?

You assume correctly :D

I've discovered the same problem with my Box Brownie. Something to do with old film not being sensitive to the colour red. I use a bit of thick black tape that I can put on and pull off when needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:40 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Just won a Kodak Autographic No.2 Folding camera on Ebay.

The design dates from 1915/1916 to somewhere in the 1920s. If it works I'll probably going to take it with me to a WW1 event in Belgium.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next