WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 9:29 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:21 am 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
My concern, having been tasked with looking after some vets at a show was their attitude to the battle (quite large scale) they weren't impressed and I felt very aware of the fact that it made them uncomfortable.

I'm sure that some old boys don't mind it, but whilst they're still out there...I dunno. When you leave the WW2 LH scene as a participant and view it all from the outside, it doesn't all make for comfortable viewing.

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:38 am 

Group: 2nd Armored in Europe
On the other hand though, a 97-year old veteran's wife was most insistent with us that we should be doing our part to keep the memories alive. As she put it - "once they're all dead, it will be people like you who remind people what they looked like".

Of course, that goes into the old old discussion of people doing it right, etc. It isn't an open invite for any numpty to play dress up and run around waving guns around. There are times and places.

Quantity doesn't equal quality, especially at events like this. Most of the columns were straight out of the MVT manual, but you could easily spot the guys who knew what they were doing and were doing it right thankfully. And when they were split off from the dross it made it all the better.

Did it need a re-enactors battle to take a bridge? Not really. Would it have been nice to have seen some heavily-vetted guys in WWII 82nd Airborne kit there with the current 82nd? Probably, yes. Same for 101st and Brit/Poles.

Strangely enough, when it comes to Arnhem people who would have no trouble running around dressed up in Normandy seem to get cold feet there. Maybe it's because we lost there and it is a different type of commemoration?

Look Out Below! : http://www.look-out-below.co.uk/

"The only thing stopping you, is you"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 13:57 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FSSF-UK
Public "battles" are a bag of s***e.... :roll: :lol:

I've only once seen a mock battle, skirmish really, it was well done, Waltham Abbey, P.D choreographed it (I believe) the one where apparently I didn't arrange for 15 US and Canadian veterans to attend :roll:

As for current services doing commemoration "battles" I remember reading on the 100th of Waterloo they used current serving troops of the time dressed up in "old uniforms" of red and stuff, (I think they actually had Waterloo uniforms still in storage, or something like that) but used modern weapons (of the time), it must have been real farby... 8) :lol:

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 13:59 pm 
3000+ Poster

As usual Glen I think you're bang on the money. Arnhem just has a different 'feel' to Normandy because of the nature of the battle there, but I think the same applies to the landing beaches in Normandy where everyone is so conscious of the level of loss, many people feel it's inappropriate to run around in kit on those particular spots. Lord knows the rest of Normandy was no holiday, but it's perhaps easier to forget what happened in the fields and hedgerows unless people are really aware of the cost of a particular action or battle. Frankly there's been an element of circus/******* contest in the Arnhem commemoration for many years, but the Dutch seem to go to pains to ensure it remains largely a dignified and solemn occasion and haven't embraced it as a tourist attraction in the same way some (not all) of the French do. Like I say, Arnhem just has a different 'character' to things, though it seems plenty of French people would also be glad to see the back of the reenactment element of Normandy events, or at least contain it. Now I for one have been guilty of going to Arnhem in kit a couple of times, but we've always tried to do it in concert with the veterans of the unit we've portrayed and to make ourselves scarce when it's time for specific commemoration events as we know it's only the good will of the veterans, families and local residents that allows us to be there at all and we're grateful for that opportunity. I don't think that completely cutting the reenactment element out is necessary, but certainly limiting, vetting and controlling it so it supports the commemorations without interfering with them or potentially undermining them couldn't really hurt. Also there's a standard of attitude and appropriate behaviour that goes a long way in keeping people on side, and some people just aren't so good and realising when and where they're attendance is or isn't wanted. I don't think it ever hurts us as reenactors to err on the aide of caution, it was the 70th anniversary, anyone with half a brain should have known it was going to be important to many of the people who had very good reasons to be over there and you'd hope those attending as reenactors would make an informed choice about where they went, what they did and how they did it.

Korean War reenactment forum: http://www.theforgottenwar.proboards61.com/index.cgi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 15:56 pm 
3000+ Poster

The CMP needs to really sort his gear out... Ever heard of Blanco and Polish?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 16:56 pm 

Spent four days in Arnhem for the 70th, only attended one of the official ceremonies in uniform on the Saturday on Ginkel Heath, as that was one of the main living history/re-enactor sites.

I still felt slightly uneasy about it, but we were welcomed by the Dutch, even got interviewed by some very polite school kids, and had a few nods and winks from some veterans, which eased the self-consciousness a little.

We didn't gate crash any ceremonies and visited the war graves outside of the official days and paid our respects respectfully which I believe is the way to do things. If your not invited to attend in uniform then don't, you can't go wrong that way.

Will concur with others on here that some of the vehicles and their occupants did let the overall image down a bit, but the re-enactors who took the time to get the image right looked really good.

I was taking pic's of the pipes & drums on the Sunday outside the Hartenstein and missed the lads who marched down the street, I've only seen a last minute pic of the back end but they did look the part, congrats if any of you on here were part of that march.

Last edited by Pegasus44 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 16:57 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: First Allied Airborne Army Command
There always has been a huge difference between Arnhem and the US dropzones when it comes to commemorations and re-enactment events.

As for this 70th anniversary I really regret that both OMG2014 and 30th Corps convoys/activities could not be merged. It would have been so much better.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 18:27 pm 
1000+ Poster

Rordog wrote:
Euan wrote:
Rordog wrote:
Euan wrote:
Just back from Arnhem and Oosterbeek, went wearing a suit or shirt and trousers, in my opinion the only people who should be in uniform are the Veterans themselves (from all eras) or current serving troops! All about remembrance; they should hog the limelight.

Were you the git who bought that German photo album? ;)

I thought I bloody saw you mate!! But not at the market, saw you on Ginkel I think?

Haha, eagle eyes mate. Yes I was in Ginkel in Airborne kit badged to Rough Riders.

Jeez mate, I owe you a pint! Or at least a German photo album or some form of kit for my lack of saying hello! Send me a PM by the way if you're after any RAF stuff still! Got my collection for sale..

Regards

Euan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 19:45 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: 95th nacht abt..attached 85th gebirgs
i went to arnhem for the first time this year in reenacting kit ...........with jeep ..we did the race to the bridge in said jeep and gotta say i was embarrassed by the choice of vehicles in attendance

but it still lined the streets with thousands of young an old ..and even veterans who lived through the battle of arnhem

i personally think only vehicles used in arnhem should be on the drive .................

as for reenactors in kit ... well the vets i spoke to where all hapy to see us ..and made lots of comments on how the kit was worn .............

the dutch ...........have the abbility to celebrate ..........
not like us here in the uk ...its washed under the carpet ...

it seems only outside these shores are he reenactors really appreciated.

been to russia ..they gave us flowers and thanked us for reenacting even tho i was in german kit ..
in france they all smile and say hello ...
and in holland ...anywhere we drove (in kit) we where forever being waved at and smiled at ...

me
i will carry on reenacting in kit until we are banned ...simply because the allies fought and died for our right to do so .....
we all have our oppinions ...good for all ..........

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 23:02 pm 

Group: Independent
les hearn wrote:
i went to arnhem for the first time this year in reenacting kit ...........with jeep ..we did the race to the bridge in said jeep and gotta say i was embarrassed by the choice of vehicles in attendance

but it still lined the streets with thousands of young an old ..and even veterans who lived through the battle of arnhem

i personally think only vehicles used in arnhem should be on the drive .................

as for reenactors in kit ... well the vets i spoke to where all hapy to see us ..and made lots of comments on how the kit was worn .............

the dutch ...........have the abbility to celebrate ..........
not like us here in the uk ...its washed under the carpet ...

it seems only outside these shores are he reenactors really appreciated.

been to russia ..they gave us flowers and thanked us for reenacting even tho i was in german kit ..
in france they all smile and say hello ...
and in holland ...anywhere we drove (in kit) we where forever being waved at and smiled at ...

me
i will carry on reenacting in kit until we are banned ...simply because the allies fought and died for our right to do so .....
we all have our oppinions ...good for all ..........

Well said

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 13:39 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: 95th nacht abt..attached 85th gebirgs
[quote="SaddleTramp"]Public "battles" are a bag of s***e.... :roll: :lol:

I've only once seen a mock battle, skirmish really, it was well done, Waltham Abbey, P.D choreographed (of the time), it must have been real farby... 8) :lol:[/quote

he had never worked with us at the mills paul

the battles are choreographed by ..mark pitt of the 39 45 soceity

and good to see that was ok