WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 4:56 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:33 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Grossdeutschland Aufklärung
Afternoon all,

I thought i'd share a recent photo project that the group has undertaken on the subject of the 'proxy wedding'.

During the Second World War special rules were signed off by Hitler regarding the marriage law in the German Reich. The possibility of a marriage by proxy was based on the Civil Status Act which came into being in late 1939 enabling the long-distance marriage of service personnel to their wives to be at home. In 1941 this was extended to the marriage to the dead or missing if the couple were already engaged. In 1943 it also became possible to obtain a divorce in the event of the soldiers death.

Provided the bride and groom could both prove Aryan decent, a marriage certificate could be obtained from Wehrmacht high command (Oberkommando der Wehrmacht), which would then be sanctioned by the battalion commander of the soldier wishing to be married. The soldier would then take part in a ceremony performed by his Officer in the field in front of the rest of the members of his unit, usually with a photograph of his wife to be sat on the table. Once the ceremony was complete, the paperwork was then sent back to the bride for her part of the ceremony which would take place at their home town registry office.

The ceremony often known as a steel helmet wedding was confirmed by 2 witnesses at the registry office with the vacant place of the groom being marked by either a full sized or miniature steel helmet finished in the colour and insignia relevant to the grooms branch of service. The bride would then be presented with the helmet in lieu of her absent spouse.

Should the worst happen, the wives would then be entitled to a widows pension and their children would not be considered illegitimate which carried a great stigma at the time. The ceremony also mean't that the spouse would become a part of the soldiers last Will and she would have a rightful claim on any form of inheritance.

Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds, our tank roars forward with the storm wind.

www.panzeraufgd.co.uk

www.facebook.com/Panzeraufgd/

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:06 pm 
1000+ Poster

Fantastic!

Love a bit of social history and this was something i'd not heard of, really impressed by the effort and it makes it all the better that I learnt something really interesting from it.

Top top marks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:28 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Here is a registry office picture - you can see the Stahlhelm on the table:

and some keepsake helmets:

Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds, our tank roars forward with the storm wind.

www.panzeraufgd.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:30 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Love it! Love the photography, love that you are exploring some unusual corners of WW2 rather than the guns-guns-gun bit that normally gets featured.

I think its rather cool that GD as a group have the will to explore and create as well as attend shows. Having spoken to you and the boys at Chalke Valley at some length, your in depth passion for history is absolutely commendable.

Hope we can work on some projects sometime soon with you - we have a few ideas brewing at STAVKA.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 14:57 pm 
1000+ Poster

Can you get a divorce the same way ?

Colin

Living my dream my way

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 15:33 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Colin, only if you get laid out by Ivan :)

Thanks comrade Koslov. My curiosity was aroused over this after coming across this picture that someone kindly posted on Facebook.

After a bit of digging the story turned out to be quite fascinating and from the response over our pics something many didn't know about.

Seeing one picture can be the start of something great - that's how we came to do the sausage thing at Chalke Valley - I found a picture in a book I picked up in Germany earlier in the year.

Looking forward to 1942 at Damyns Hall!

www.panzeraufgd.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 16:36 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Group: Glamorgan Home Guard, AFRA
excellent thread

"LIFE IS GOOD" - Hitcock45

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:01 am 

one question comes to mind,as this was carried out under the law of the reich and that law is no longer in use would those married in such a service still be considered married under todays rules?
Nigel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:19 pm 

A great piece on something relatively unknown. Brilliant pics as well. Well done!

ES IST NICHT SHIVER IN GUTEN TAGEN
DAS FAHNENTUCH VORAN ZU TRAGEN
DER STOLZEN REIHE,
ERST WENN IN STURM FETZEN KNATTERN
DER MUDE HAUFE WILL ZERFLATTERN
ZEIGT SICH DIE TREUE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 20:21 pm 
2000+ Poster

very good, you all look so WW2 facially and very natural

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:14 am 

Group: Volkssturm Werwolf
Great idea...one snag, if you used an original photo in the 'wedding' ..I hope the young 'groom' isn't now being tormented by the ancient ghost of his 'bride' wanting to sit on his face etc in the wee small hours eh !! :lol: