WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:44 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: New toy (2)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:33 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
I have for a while had a TM for a camera used by the Signal Corps in WWII, and decided I would like to get one ..

I managed to get one from e-bay US ... and it arrived this morning ... my first reaction being ... b***y hell, thats small ... :shock: :) ...

It is a Kodak Bantam, 1940's dated and is in very good condition, uses 828 film which is a bit hard to get hold off, but I have found sites that give details about decanting basic 35mm film ..(which is what 828 is, only without the sprocket holes) onto modified 620 spools, there is some 828 film available on e-bay etc, but the prices are I feel a little high.

Anyway pics attached, nice little camera ... erm .. little being the operative word ... :wink:

nb;
The TM is currently packed away in the field desk in my car as I'm away for the weekend, but I will post pics from it when I get back for comparison and information.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: New toy (2)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 21:42 pm 
1000+ Poster

Location: with don-10 under my finger nails and black & tan around my feet.
Group: 85th Gebirgsjager
You're not wrong that is small! Looks very good condition, great find.

Good luck with decanting the 35mm film. It will be interesting to see results.

What will you do about developing? Do it yourself?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5121552.stm

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson, Quoting Cesare Beccaria. 1809

------------------------------------------
"The 39-45 Society"
Trinity Pyrotechnics. http://www.trinityfx.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:07 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Hi Matt

Thanks .. yes I am going to develope myself in the future, .. Im a little bit tired of having my films underdeveloped by the high street chains .. they are not photographically trained, just machine operators and don't from my observations manage the refreshment and replenishment of the chemicals correctly ... where the fogged area of the film is see through when it should be black, you know something is wrong .... but I digress ...

As mentioned in my intitial post here are the pics of the TM and the picture from the TM ..

I still can get over the size of the thing ... :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 20:04 pm 
1000+ Poster

Location: with don-10 under my finger nails and black & tan around my feet.
Group: 85th Gebirgsjager
Very good. I keep threatening to set up a darkroom but the Memsaab put the mockers on me using the bathroom. :-( and the shed is not light proof. I'll have to make a 'box' out of blackout material. Dunelm Mill sells it!

My friend Paul set up a darkroom at War & Peace, shot, developed and printed there. Worked well enough to display the prints.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5121552.stm

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson, Quoting Cesare Beccaria. 1809

------------------------------------------
"The 39-45 Society"
Trinity Pyrotechnics. http://www.trinityfx.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 14:36 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

As a postscript to this ... I noticed on e-bay another Bantam for spares or repair and at the price thought it worth getting ... it was as on going over it I found there was .. is .. nothing wrong with it, its handy being a photog. sometimes .... :wink:

These cameras take 828 film which is obsolete, and with prices going at around £15 to £20 a roll on e-bay (vastly over rated by the sellers from an unavailability point of view frankly) I managed to find information about making my own roll of film up. Basically it entails having a couple of spare 828 spools, some standard 35mm film and some old 120 film backing paper, I wont go into detail here but for those interested here is the link ..

http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=spool828

Suffice to say I made one roll up and took the camera to Lytham with me to test both the film and the camera the results being below ... please note they are not meant to be accurate in any shape or form, just test pictures ...

I think Im pleased with the results ... both from the camera and my film loading ... :D

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 21:00 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Voorwaarts MARS
Excellent!

I assume you had to renumber the backing paper. Or was there a matching set of number you could use on the 120 film paper?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 21:29 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Hi Rick .. thanks ..

Luckily if you follow the instructions in the link there is no need to renumber the backing paper, simply use the No's 1 thru' 8 as they show up in the index window on the camera .. spacing between frames is quite large though.

There is one small issue ... 828 film is sprocket less .. only having one sprocket hole every so often which links up with a self lock system in the film wind on ... as 35mm is sprocketed you have to keep the film release button pressed until the relevant number appears in the film index window ... !!

Hope that makes sense .. ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 21:45 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

It does, thanks.

I'm going to shoot one those reloaded 127 spools this weekend at the Raversijde Atlantik Wall museum. If the light is good enough.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:49 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

How are you reloading 127 spools rick ... ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

A friend is cutting 120 film down to 127 with a cigar cutter.
I've got one with the original 127 baking paper, so no need to do anything weird with the numbering.