WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 15:10 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: BUNKER IMAGE PHOTOGRAPHS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 19:23 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Field of Fire
For all you WW2 Atlantic Wall and Fortifications folks .I have updated my photos on my web site with some new pics. Northern France. Please feel free to visit ....... Bunkerimages.co.uk . Regards Steve.

"We are not playing soldiers, we are honouring heros."

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 18:19 pm 

Blinking heck, you must have covered some miles there!!! I don't suppose you visited a bunker on the side of the D514 at the side of the river near Ouistreham. Around the doorway was strafed with bullet scars. Really chilling, if i remember correctly, it's near the tower.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:54 am 

Hi Steve, some really interesting images... thanks for sharing. I'm thinking of venturing over to France to visit some of these places... are there any guide books or websites that you would recommend?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 17:11 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Hi guys. Thanks for the comments....fresh air sniper,loads of miles and plenty of fun and duty frees along the way, but have not found your bunker yet. It's now on the list cheers.
Les please try these sites or phone me i think you have the number,cheers...... Bunkersite.com and Bunkerpictures.nl ,these give locations and pics etc. lots to see nr calais and boulonge.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:05 am 

Major Norton 82 wrote:
have not found your bunker yet. It's now on the list cheers.

Please don't go looking for the bunker off my directions, you never know where you'll end up!!
All I remember is, that's it sits at the side of a layby, it's covered in graffiti and I 'think' it was used as a night club. But the bullet scars, were very chilling. You could imagine a German exiting then just facing a hail of bullets :shock: .

I'm sure it was the first bunker we saw after we got off the ferry at LeHavre, just before the Ouitreham tower.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:07 am 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
It's on the East side of the Orne and lies on the Merville to Ranville road D514 around Sallenelles?
If its the first you saw coming from LeHavre then you missed a few inc the battery at Merville and the large beach front complex at Franceville Plage. They are not easily visible from the road though....
The bunker was originally marked on British maps of the defences as housing a field gun, this was revised at the end of May '44 to MG.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21 ... 3,0.018947

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:19 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
You know that French OS maps (IGN) actually show bunkers on them?

Unlike British OS maps...

Makes finding bunkers rather easier :)

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:30 am 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
The Blue series are almost essential for exploring WW2 sites in France.
http://www.dash4it.co.uk/store/go/categ ... 93_617_618

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:04 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Yes, the french blue series os maps do show most bunker locations and are my main guide to the locations. They are excellent but are now getting expensive...10/15 euros each. But well worth it in time saved looking. The Calais map 2103ET and the Boulogne map 2104 ET are highly recommened. These areas are only a short drive from the eurotunnel and can be visited on a day trip.Thanks Lemaitre for the info, i thought it was in that approx area i had seen it but did not stop due to time limits.. Thanks F.A.S i'll try to get to your bunker next time in Normandy and your right,when you know the history of an area or bunker complex it brings shivers to your spine.History you can touch and feel. cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 13:18 pm 
4000+ Poster

If you can get them, the original German defence plans are interesting to have.

Shows things in a very different light to what you can see on the ground today.

Obviously it takes a bit of digging to get them - seem to remember there are a couple of expensive but excellent compendiums of them by sector. The books contain plans and period photos - we used one of them to explore the sector allocated to 17FD(L)

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 13:36 pm 

LeMaitre wrote:
It's on the East side of the Orne and lies on the Merville to Ranville road D514 around Sallenelles?

It was 10 years since I saw it. I can't look on google maps as iron my ipad and it doesn't allow street view, your description sounds about right.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 14:07 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Andrei.....I have been looking for orig or reprint german plans for years but with very little success .Can you please point me in the right direction. 17FD{l} plans would be great to look at. As the sites are today, it takes a bit of imagination to work out the defence area/strongpoint or Wn. there are only a few sites near Calais that i have found with trench systems still in place. Any help would be greatfully received.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 14:49 pm 
4000+ Poster

The book you want is one of the series “Le Mur de l'Atlantique” by Alain Chazette - its in French but don't let that put you off.

I'm not sure if they are still in print, i know a while back they were hard to source and expensive when you did.

Excellent books though!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 15:23 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Andrei. Thanks for that .I have the EN NORMANDIE edition and several other excellent HEIMDAL publications. Rudi Rolfs atlantic wall typology is excellent for bunker layouts but does not have general maps or overall locations. What i am after is ground plans with detail layouts, but they are pretty rare beasts. Any help is always greatfully received.cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 16:31 pm 
4000+ Poster

The one we used had exactly that...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 18:39 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Looking at Amazon now, cheers.