WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:24 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:04 am 
 WWW  Profile

Lots of photos from a great ten days. Concentrated again on the American Airborne areas so if that's not your cup of tea then look away now.

I had the privilege this year to stay at Col. Sinks' CP at Angoville au Plain. It was truly fantastic to be there where not much had changed in the 69 years from when the photographs of Sink standing in the doorway was taken. I should have started charging for the amount of people that stood in that doorway getting their photo taken! Not only that but Jack Womer from HQ. Co. 506th was also staying at the house which made for an eventful week.

20130601_163636 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

Upon arriving in Angoville on the Saturday 1st of June after taking the overnight ferry and with only 30mins to spare, I get picked up by battlefield historian Paul Woodadge for a tour of Bloody Gulch and Gully. It's a shame to think this area might be built over soon.

IMG_0226 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

IMG_0243 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

F/506 positions during the German attack and where Bob Noody took out a Marder with a bazooka.

IMG_0237 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

After lunch we bid farewell to Paul and decided to jump in the jeep as the weather really improved and it was great to travel around Utah beach with hardly anybody there.

IMG_0253 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

Naturally, I had to get a few photos of myself and the jeep. The church at Angoville is so photogenic that it'd be rude not to get at least one photo there.

IMG_0259 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

Sunday saw my wife catch a cold and feel pretty awful so as all good husbands do, I escaped pretty damn quick and went on a jeep tour by myself. I started at Ferme Delaunay as I wanted to see the German snipers battle against elements of the 501st where Lt. Schmidt lost his life during the attack.

IMG_0289 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

IMG_0292 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

From Ferme Delauney, I travelled on a few tracks before stumbling upon Chateau de Bel Enault which was a German CP and where Col. Johnson landed on D-Day. A German sentry raced out to either kill or capture Col. Johnson but he managed to draw his .45 and shoot the German whilst still in his chute.

IMG_0371 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

Continuing on my journey, my next stop was Hells Corner.

IMG_0275 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

IMG_0278 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

I ended up back in Angoville late afternoon and the sun was in the right position for a Col. Sink photograph.

IMG_0273 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:24 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: 39/45 society.2nd Glosters.
where abouts is that Bloody Gulch and gully?we went to a house/small chateau last year that was supposed to be near it,the house was opposite a small church?

(brought to you by The British Federation of Fat Blokes)
XX1-The Millwall FC of Re-enactors.No one likes us-we dont care...
Girls,try a fat bloke today.They're not as bad as you think!
BEEN THERE,SEEN IT,DONE IT,GOT THE TEE SHIRT....had to take it back & exchange it for a much larger size...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:49 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: WW2 Tommies
Nice photos Jonesy! Am I correct in saying that you also met Jim 'Pee Wee' Martin from G Company, 3rd Battalion, 506th PIR while you were there?

Doing an Airborne impression? Want to try jumping out of an original C-47?

http://www.wwiiadt.org

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 13:33 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Al, was it this house?

http://www.manoirdedonville.com/

Joe, yes I met Pee Wee whilst out there. The following photos will show that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 13:37 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: WW2 Tommies
jonesy1275 wrote:
Al, was it this house?

http://www.manoirdedonville.com/

Joe, yes I met Pee Wee whilst out there. The following photos will show that.

Yes, I thought it was you I saw on his Facebook page. :wink:

Doing an Airborne impression? Want to try jumping out of an original C-47?

http://www.wwiiadt.org

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 13:39 pm 
 WWW  Profile

The 3rd saw me take Jack Womer to a school in Portbail where a number of veterans were going to talk to the local kids. Unfortunately Curtis Phillips never showed but George Shenkle (E/508th, 82nd AB) and Ray Fary (80th AAA Bn, 82nd AB) did plus Helen Patton, granddaughter of Gen. Patton. It was a good afternoon organised by Valerie Cardin and once everybody went to get refreshments, I had a great chat with George and Ray.

IMG_0309 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

P1040516 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

The morning of the 4th saw me heading to Ravenoville to visit a friend as he'd picked up his 'mystery veteran' from Paris airport the day before. Boy was I glad when I saw who it was. My hero Bob Noody Fox Company 506th PIR. Bob was photographed on the night of the 5th in the C-47 prior to takeoff and is one of the most famous photos of the 101st Airborne.

IMG_0335 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

After being roped into building the marquees for my friends ceremony the following day, it was time to head back to Angoville as both Jack Womer and Paul Woodadge were doing book signings in the village. It started off quietly then not soon after Jim 'Pee Wee' Martin G/506th arrived from England where he'd been visiting Wiltshire for the first time since 43-44. Then the crowds started arriving.

P1040530 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

P1040552 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

Jim was as flexible as ever and jumped on the bike with ease.

P1040545 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

A British Royal Navy minesweeper veteran also popped by names Ivor Stephens. I learnt afterwards that his ship sweeped Omaha Beach.

P1040565 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

Later in the afternoon, my friend visited with Bob and his lovely wife Liz. To get three 506th veterans in Angoville was something special indeed.

101st Airborne heroes by jonesy1275, on Flickr

Then George Shenkle shows up with .

IMG_0365 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

The 4th of June was a fantastic day. The sun shone and plenty of books was sold, plenty of veterans in attendance and I finally got Bob to sign my Airforce Journal.

20130604_203625 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

Could the 4th be beaten? Well maybe but you'll have to wait to see.

Neil.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:59 am 
1000+ Poster

Fantastic photos! Hoping to get myself there whilst on leave in November. Can I ask where your Jump suit is from, it's a good 'un!

Euan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 13:00 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Euan, it's an ATF jumpsuit. I'm very impressed with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 13:14 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Continuing with the thread. The 5th of June was going to be an unforgettable day. Paul Woodadge had arranged for Pee Wee to be taken back to the area where 3/506th fought for the wooden bridges that spanned the Douve river opposite Brevands and Le Moulin. I had the honour of driving him in the jeep to as far as we could go before setting off on foot to the river bank. I was enthralled by Jim's memories of the events on those first few days. I make no apologies for the amount of photos.

IMG_0438 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

IMG_0454 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

IMG_0456 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

IMG_0469 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

IMG_0470 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

IMG_0472 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

We returned to Angoville and Jim had to get a quick Col. Sink photo for himself.

IMG_0507 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

The 6th of June was a bit of a quiet day. I had no ceremonies to go to but it definitely had its moments. I spent all morning in the company of my good friend, Matthew Pellett and BoB art director, Alan Thompkins for a bit of a jeep tour. In the end we re-created Col. Sinks' jeep ride from his cp at Culoville before moving on to the dirt tracks around Chateau Columbiere.

IMG_0526 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

In the evening I got kindly invited by the RCPT to fly with Jack Womer in the C-47 whilst the team were paradropping around Holdy. This was my first C-47 flight and it was fantastic to be in the company of Jack. 

IMG_0551 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

IMG_0559 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

IMG_0615 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

My wife caught the Libery Jump Team dropping onto DZ D near Angoville that same evening.

P1040630 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

So a pretty eventful few days which I'll treasure forever. More photos to come very soon.

Neil.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 14:45 pm 

Group: Forgotten 14th
An absolutely great set of photos of what must have been an immensely memorable few days. Looking forward to seeing more.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 15:32 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Final update today. On the morning of the 7th, I went to Picauville for their ceremony and on the way back I stopped at La Fiere as I wanted to get a photo of Iron MIke overlooking the bridge and the flatlands of the Merderet river. Unfortunately there was a few marquees built which spoilt the photo but I got one which I was reasonably happy with.

IMG_0636 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

A quick bite in St. Mere Eglise where I spotted my next military vehicle on the wish list, an M8 Greyhound.

IMG_0639 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

It was then a rush back to Angoville to get ready for the big event. Jack Womer, last surviving member of the Filthy 13 was to receive the Légion d'honneur from the French Government straight after the Cabbage Patch ceremony. Naturally this called for smart clothes to be worn. Here's Jack in his original Ike jacket with me and my wife.

IMG_0645 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

Jack with his medal.

IMG_0674 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

That night I headed back to St. Mere Eglise for an 82nd AB dinner. It was a really great night and I was really pleased to meet Pinky Pinkston, a combat medic with the 505th.

IMG_0678 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

The weekend of the 8th and 9th turned very cold and I felt sorry for the veterans sitting around outside for the ceremonies at Angoville (on the 8th) and Brevands (on the 9th).

Angoville

IMG_0682 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

That afternoon we headed up to friends at Ravenoville where a great time was spent in Bob Noody's company. Here we are going through the 'Epic of the 101st' unit history book with Bob.

P1040653 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

Sunday the 9th was our last full day in Normandy and in the morning we headed down to Brevands for the ceremony commemorating the Filthy 13 and C/326th AEB. A fitting memorial to Jake McNiece was also made.

IMG_0689 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

Back in Angoville we began to set up a photo with Jack Womer. Jack was photographed a few days after D-Day amongst other paratroopers and it was taken in the courtyard of Col. Sinks' cp. So with the help of a few of my friends, we attempted to re-create the photo.

Original...

Jack Womer Angoville by jonesy1275, on Flickr

Re-created...

IMG_0697 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

We were very privileged to help out on that photo.

IMG_0700 by jonesy1275, on Flickr

And that was it. Jack and Ellen Womer left for Paris a few hours later. I went for a walk down to Drop Zone D before starting to pack. It felt like that I hadn't done much throughout the week but I'm so happy with meeting so many great veterans, friends and acquaintances. I don't know what next years' events will be like as I kind of liked the relaxed atmosphere of this years due to the smaller crowds. However, I'll be there.

Neil.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 17:35 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Nice pictures we stayed in angoville au plain must have missed each other many times

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 17:43 pm 
 WWW  Profile

No way!! Where were you Tony? At Dick Coopers?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 18:55 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Yea mate about 20 of us were there will be there again next year will have to pop in ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 19:45 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I did pop into Dick's one evening to see the snipers window. It must have been you boys on the picnic benches.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 20:02 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Yea mate should have come and say hi