WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:13 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: HOBOS, PART TWO
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:17 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FSSF-UK
Following on from our hobos party on the main stem where amongst other things, places where work was to be had where, as always, on the agenda and so our boys go their separate ways seeking employment, sometimes they meet up on on the road, or at another stake, work is to be had for a few weeks or months...

"To cope with the difficulty of hobo life, hobos developed a system of symbols, or a code. Hobos would write this code with chalk or coal to provide directions, information, and warnings to other hobos. Some signs included "turn right here", "beware of hostile railroad police", "dangerous dog", "food available here", and so on... " The sign outside our boys camp basically says they are a religious lot, and friendly with food and work available;

Another arrival bringing an offering of some food (obviously.. :D )... Again, I'll let you guys fill in the dialogue;

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

Last edited by SaddleTramp on Sun May 26, 2013 14:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: HOBOS, PART TWO
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:20 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:42 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 18:19 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

As Landwaster once said:

" Then of course you have to get the mind set of the time,social and political history,that made the what they were."

I'm jumping ahead here a bit, but just to give you a snippet of the relevance of the hobo to WWII, Colonel Frederick sent out a request to all the US Army bases:

" single men, aged 21–35 with three or more years of grammar school. Occupations preferred: Rangers, lumberjacks, northwoodsmen, hunters, prospectors, explorers game wardens, and explorers' and requested similar recruits from the Royal Canadian Army". - See more at: http://www.historynet.com/us-canadian-1 ... wF2DY.dpuf

In other words, men used to living in the outdoors and traveling using their wits ...

That is all, thanks for your attention :wink: :D

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 19:54 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Voorwaarts MARS
Some great shots in this set. These seem to fit better with my, quite possibly stereotypical, view of hobo's during the depression then the ones in the previous topic.
I especially like the low-angle shot over the fire of the one lighting his pipe.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 21:28 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: 95th nacht abt..attached 85th gebirgs
absolutely superb ..nice impresion paul

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 22:03 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

les hearn wrote:
absolutely superb ..nice impresion paul

Thanks Les, these where taken next to my chicken run (there's an overview video on that social networking site, faceache) ...

I live right next to a country park, with (I'm told) has trout now and again which manages to escape the nearby reservoir, and in Scotland we have the freedom to camp out as long as we clear up and leave no sign of our habitation behind... 8)

Though not attending shows (800 miles round journey to yours mate, having said that, there's one up near Aberdeen in a couple of weeks, and one or two I'm attending closer to home this year), I'm still out there with my mates doing it for ourselves, so expect some more of this kind of impression in the coming months, getting back to my roots in more ways than one, as I'm back to my rockin' days*, riding the road on two wheels and out free camping, bonus!

Anyway, these are the kind of guys the First Special Service Force was after, men used to living outdoors and fending for themselves, so it's not a far stretch of the imagination that is what he got, men traveling from place to place for work :D

* It wasn't re-enacting, it's how we dressed 24/7, and I'm back to it :wink: :D

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:37 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FHF / 150th Engineer Combat Battalion, XIIth Corps
Love it! (and I see the PET milk tin hiding in there - they get everywhere! ;) )

A

www.reenactor.se (Essex Regt.)
http://combatengineers.forumup.org (150th Engineer Combat Battalion)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:33 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

reddevil1311 wrote:
Love it! (and I see the PET milk tin hiding in there - they get everywhere! ;) )

A

8)

That's not the only farby, can you spot it :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:08 pm 

I was thinking the hen looked a bit farby,looks like a Warren X,and what pets did they use for the milk!.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:10 pm 
 YIM  Profile

So did you eat the chicken;)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 22:01 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Sea Soldier wrote:
I was thinking the hen looked a bit farby,looks like a Warren X,and what pets did they use for the milk!.

On the label is a cow :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:05 am 

Is that the original milk that inspired the lines..." No tits to pull,no hay to pitch,you just can't beat that son of a bitch".

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 15:29 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Sea Soldier wrote:
Is that the original milk that inspired the lines..." No tits to pull,no hay to pitch,you just can't beat that son of a bitch".

Heheheh, haven't got a clue :D

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 22:36 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Pfc-Grunt wrote:
So did you eat the chicken;)

The one on the spit, ofcourse we did :wink: :D