WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:30 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Hobos
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 23:33 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FSSF-UK
Hobo, what does that word inspire in your psyche, most of us will remember our parents (or even some of us) listening to the likes of Boxcar Willie or Woody Guthrie’s “bound For Glory”, but few will know what in fact a “hobo” was…

Let us begin with the origins; After the American Civil War legions of out of work ex soldiers tramped across the countryside looking for work in the first great depression of 1873, the word “tramp” coming from the grueling march of the soldiers to battle, the word is probably quite apt as perhaps most of, if not all of the men where Civil War veterans traveling from place to place looking for work, usually on the same railroads that took them from one campaign to the next…

Though there are endless debates at what time and place the ”tramp” became the “hobo”, it’s said that “the hobo works and wanders, the tramp drinks and wanders, and the bum just drinks.”, suffice to say, chronologically, the tramp came first, the bum after, and the hobo somewhere in between, it’s also said that the term came from “ho-boy” meaning farm hand, or "homo bonus," meaning "good man." Others speculate that men shouted "Ho, Boy!" to each other on the road…

Whatever the origin, the word “hobo” became widespread during yet another major financial depression from 1893 to 1897, and again in what became the “Great Depression” of the 1930s we know so well today, there where armies of Hobos traveling the railroads (riding the rails) looking for work, whole families where disrupted, and it’s most likely true to say that the War essentially ended this lifestyle with secure jobs supplying the War Effort with labor, and ofcourse, men for the services…

However, with the end of war in sight, many believed that at wars end, another depression would rear it’s ugly head and so the US government initiated a program that would ensure unemployment compensation and subsidies for home ownership for returning GIs to encourage men to settle down and raise families, this became known as the GI Bill of 1944 …

The hobo jobsearch began and ended around the big cities of the Midwest and West, where they would take the “stake” they had earned and “lay up” on the “main stem” until such time as work became available, such as harvest jobs, construction work, mining, and lumber camps through the employment agencies…

Our story begins around one such stake out, I’ll let you create the dialogue for yourself:

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

Last edited by SaddleTramp on Wed May 22, 2013 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Hobos
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 23:36 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 23:41 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Next, we will see them on site, for now;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsBPcf_Kv4M

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:45 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FHF / 150th Engineer Combat Battalion, XIIth Corps
Love it. There are, as you know, many on here that just will not "get it"! ;)

A

www.reenactor.se (Essex Regt.)
http://combatengineers.forumup.org (150th Engineer Combat Battalion)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:55 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Voorwaarts MARS
I prefer to believe that it's an abbreviation for "Homeward Bound" ;)

I like the shots of the smoker and the wine pouring. They fit the atmosphere in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 14:56 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Mr_Flibble wrote:
I prefer to believe that it's an abbreviation for "Homeward Bound" ;)

I like the shots of the smoker and the wine pouring. They fit the atmosphere in my opinion.

What about "hoah boy"!! As they passed by and the locals getting a whiff of the aroma :D

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 15:43 pm 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
Thats pretty interesting actually... you all look far too healthy though you farbs.

If you had any integrity you'd get some period correct tooth decay :)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 15:57 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Gadge wrote:
Thats pretty interesting actually... you all look far too healthy though you farbs.

We did consider;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrzo5SPaOvg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 23:29 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Group: Glamorgan Home Guard, AFRA
SaddleTramp wrote:
Gadge wrote:

We did consider;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrzo5SPaOvg

Point made :lol:

"LIFE IS GOOD" - Hitcock45

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 14:25 pm 

Group: PPCLI -CMHS
Cool Stuff.......

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 14:36 pm 
3000+ Poster

"Hobo, what does that word inspire in your psyche"

Says to me =

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the ... ORM=NVPFVR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 19:39 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

gliderinf wrote:
"Hobo, what does that word inspire in your psyche"

Says to me =

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the ... ORM=NVPFVR

hahahahahah, and I believe you actually watched that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: