WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 17:48 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 16:02 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Oh .. I give up ... :lol: :lol:

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:12 am 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
Correspondent wrote:
Not sure where to put it .... anyway

one good, one not so good ... but 'clean' I think none the less..??

I like both of them, and don't see that one is necessarily better than the other. One is the better composition perhaps but I'm OK with that. I see it as getting closer to realism - mind you there's a huge number of period photos that are obviously composed but that's another discussion :D .

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:31 am 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
Andrei Kozlov wrote:
Its worth pointing out though that Allen did only get the head and shoulders in of that aircraft :-P

But it's not 4f.

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:54 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FSSF-UK
I do lot of cutting, ends up a lot of head shots, or half of the body/figure, it's arty, creates atmosphere... And at times, you have to cut out the farby/find some way of hiding it ...

I say nothing worse than a tumbleweed background with nothing happening and in the centre is one or two figures standing about with a loose end, or pretending to be doing something, put a wee bit of thought into the final presentation ..

Just my opinion, and the way I do things, don't have to take that as gospel... :wink:

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:44 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Without pandering to the ' 4F ' school of thought, Im curious I think as to what the perception of a portrait is here ...

A portrait can in fact take many forms in photography as compared to the world of (painted) art, we were taught this in training and whereas perceptions change in the world of the ' arts ' ... what would have been considered and were/are in fact merely snaps, being accepted as de-rigueur today, for example .. :roll: ... speaking in the time frame we are set in here, is it just the close in head shoulders that we are on about or does it also include shots similar to the examples I am attaching .. all of them in a way a portrait in their own right .. ie; displaying the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the person.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:01 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Good enough in the technical, but I hate hats resting on eyebrowse, very Vietnam, and why wear a pistol belt etc in a house, no don't tell me, he is Holland on "a bridge too far" :lol:

Again, my opinion, but it's not just the technical or arty farty approach, the fashion in which the figures are dressed is important (to really a get a period look, and not just "in uniform" worn modern style)...

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:29 am 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
I dont have a problem with those shots, they are not 4f. They have what you might call 'context' that the full face full frame images simply dont have.
What happens when they are 4f?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:24 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

SaddleTramp wrote:
Good enough in the technical, but I hate hats resting on eyebrowse, very Vietnam, and why wear a pistol belt etc in a house, no don't tell me, he is Holland on "a bridge too far" :lol:

Again, my opinion, but it's not just the technical or arty farty approach, the fashion in which the figures are dressed is important (to really a get a period look, and not just "in uniform" worn modern style)...

OK .. without wanting to fall out or cause an argument .. This is what I mean about posting pictures, why I dont like to post even as an illustration as here, why others wont post too ... why cannot they just be viewed as they are, why is it that always they have to be dissected, pulled to pieces or otherwise commented on in this way ... whats is the point of it .. why cant they be taken in context ...

Re; the soldier .. look at the face, the expression.. thats why he is still wearing his belt maybe, just this minute got in taken his coat off and slumped in the chair, obviously very tired ...
the 'pilot' picture ..... he doesnt have his flying boots on (surprised that wasnt commented on) .. but there again maybe he didnt have to time to put them on before flying ... maybe he took them off before slumping in the chair ... has no one any imagination here ..??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:29 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Hats over eyes ... Vietnam ...???

At least two of the guys in this WWII pic have their hats low .. !!!!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:54 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

SaddleTramp wrote:
Good enough in the technical,

So you dont think they have a 1940's 'feel' to them then ... ???

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 13:40 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Correspondent wrote:
Hats over eyes ... Vietnam ...???

At least two of the guys in this WWII pic have their hats low .. !!!!

Low, and I know that they did, but not resting on the bridge of the nose for goodness sake :roll:

I see this time and time again for justification "cause dat's wot I done in the Army" (British army, 1980s - Yeah sure, shrink down yer beret aswell) ....

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 13:42 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Correspondent wrote:
SaddleTramp wrote:
Good enough in the technical,

So you dont think they have a 1940's 'feel' to them then ... ???

What was it you said about the posture etc...

Look, ask yerself this, how come we can always tell an original from a fake/re-enactor, apart from weight, age etc?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 13:45 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Re; the soldier .. look at the face, the expression.. thats why he is still wearing his belt maybe, just this minute got in taken his coat off and slumped in the chair, obviously very tired ...

Tired from what, he is squeaky clean, and if it's supposed to be taken in a war zone, then why is the background all nice and clean?

the 'pilot' picture ..... he doesnt have his flying boots on (surprised that wasnt commented on) .. but there again maybe he didnt have to time to put them on before flying ... maybe he took them off before slumping in the chair ... has no one any imagination here ..??

I think that looks OK TBH :roll: :wink: Maybe he took them off "after flying"? Actually, more than likely, he looks tired, the first thing you do after a long hike etc, is take yer boots off, no?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 13:50 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

The Soldier ... he has just arrived HOME on leave ..????

Paul, stop analysing please, just accept them as pictures ...!!!!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 14:01 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Correspondent wrote:
The Soldier ... he has just arrived HOME on leave ..????

They are not "just pictures", they are supposed to represent something :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 14:03 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Correspondent wrote:

And you have been doing that though, so it's not good for me, but good for you?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If they're "just pictures" and not meant to represent something from a different era, then why dress up, why black and white them?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next