WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 14:51 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:03 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FIRST ALLIED AIRBORNE ASSOCIATION
Dear Ma and Pa

It’s been a while since I last wrote, we were back in England then, a lot has happened since then and we are now in France. We saw some heavy combat in the early days but have since been getting ready for something big. After sometime refitting, we were back on the line yesterday, but after only a few hours those darn krauts took two of our carriers out with a single 88 before we had a chance to fire a round. Last month I was transferred out of S2 and put in the mortar platoon as they had lost a few guys early on.

I am only lugging ammo as I have had no training on the 81 but I guess that will come, the guys need as many trained guys as they can get, every day we lose another guy to the shelling we have been receiving, like all the outfits the group I am in seems to change from day to day, here today and gone tomorrow, but as always we just move on and do the best we can with who have, we have lost some good guys, but some good GI’s are coming in too.

It is quite now as our half track is being repaired, we have been ordered to dismount our tubes and dig in, I think they expect a counter attack at anytime; we have lost our mobility so I feel a little uneasy about the situation as there have been reports of enemy patrols not far from where we are. ----------I will continue later as we have been given warning of a fire mission soon, perhaps the krauts are looking for trouble in our area!--------------------------

Pa, I was right, we had some incoming, only light stuff this time, but enough to mess us up a bit, but we got off some rounds right back at them and we have heard nothing more from them for a while, but we are still manning the tubes and chow was brought out to us at the Mortar positions. The guys in Admin Mess and Supply are the heroes in all this, it does not matter how tuff it gets they are always manning the stoves and serving up hot chow.

Well Pa I have used that camera you gave me the last time I was home and I managed to get some more film from a reporter the other day, I don’t suppose anyone will get to see the pictures until after all this is over, but I hope they survive, someone needs to tell the story of what we have gone through, but I wonder if anyone will care after this all just becomes history.

I will write again soon, please don’t worry about me

Your Loving Son

Benjamin R Murphy
PFC
Mortar Platoon
Third Battalion
41st Armored Infantry Regiment

I have always endeavoured to listen to what each and every person in a discussion had to say before venturing my own opinion. Oftentimes, my own opinion will simply represent a con-census of what I heard in the discussion. I always remember the axiom: a leader is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.”

Nelson Mandela

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:06 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: I/II-AA Das Reich (W.A.R.S)
Did the Yanks use a lot of cammo in the West? Interested is all................
(Totally ignorant of the facts on this. Asked before and no one aswered!)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:16 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Voorwaarts MARS
Units within the 2nd Armored and 30th ID were issued M1942 US Army camouflage HBTs a day before the start of Operation Cobra as part of a one-off test by the Corps of Engineers. Towards the beginning of september 1944 you see them disappear again. They were NOT officially withdrawn because of Friendly-Fire incidents, there simply weren't any more to issue when clean uniforms came round.

(That's not to say Friendly Fire did not occur, but it is definitely NOT the main reason why the uniforms disappeared which is so often quoted).

[edit]forgot to say, Excellent photos! The ones of the mortar team's fire mission looks fab!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 16:52 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Concure with the above, however to just elaborate a little. It should be noted that the vast majority of the suits went to the 41st Armoured Infantry Regiment of the 2nd Armoured Division, a few and only a few pictures confirm that some other sub units of the 2nd AD got them too including "elements" of the 17th Armoured Engineer Battalion. However the 2nd Armoured Division complete did not get an issue of these suits.

I would be interested in any confirmed photos of the 30th Infantry Division wearing these suits, not saying they did not, but if they did then my research is incomplete and the pics will fill the gap.

Thanks for the feedback Rick.

Regards

Lee

I have always endeavoured to listen to what each and every person in a discussion had to say before venturing my own opinion. Oftentimes, my own opinion will simply represent a con-census of what I heard in the discussion. I always remember the axiom: a leader is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.”

Nelson Mandela

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 18:34 pm 

Group: 2nd Armoured In Europe
Rick the 2nd Infantry "Indianhead" had a limited issue of the Cammo suit and rumoured also elements of the 3rd Armoured.
The last picture known of where cammos are visible is a 2nd Infantryman taking part in the assualt on Brest wearing a cammo jacket in September 44.

Regards

Lloyd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:21 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Voorwaarts MARS
Thanks Lloyd,
I still have no 100% confirmation on the 17th Combat Engineers ever wearing them, except that one, possibly miscaptioned, photo in Canisy.
Francis Turner said he never saw them being worn, but then again he did not join them until halfway through the Breakout.

Sorry for the Thread Hi-jack Lee ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:06 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Mr_Flibble wrote:
Thanks Lloyd,
I still have no 100% confirmation on the 17th Combat Engineers ever wearing them, except that one, possibly miscaptioned, photo in Canisy.
Francis Turner said he never saw them being worn, but then again he did not join them until halfway through the Breakout.

Sorry for the Thread Hi-jack Lee ;)

No Problem Rick, at least on topic and not talking bollocks, as per the majority of the threads on here :)

We have done the 17th in this rig also. 41st and 17th defo, others maybe in very small numbers, but certainly not a generic impression for tankers within the division and have yet to see photographic proof of the gear being worn by the 2nd Division or the 30th.

Regards

Lee

Nelson Mandela

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 17:12 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: I/II-AA Das Reich (W.A.R.S)
thanks guys. Youre the first to answer my question!
Much appreciated.