WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 14:30 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 18:52 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Can’t anyone behave on this forum- What is wrong with simply asking you not to copy some photos? Actually don’t answer that- as it’s already spoilt this thread. :(

Kate, if you are still around (?), I use Picasa to stick a watermark on my all images that I don’t want people copying without my permission. You can always undo it from the original file when you need it without.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 19:19 pm 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
TicketyBooTupney wrote:
What is wrong with simply asking you not to copy some photos?

Absolutely nothing.
LeMaitre wrote:
I agree with Katie that it is common courtesy to credit her should you wish to use them.

Asking and demanding are not the same, especially when what you are claiming is not yours.

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 19:20 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
If you were a photographer you might understand a little more about protercting your images .. as it is a I think you will find we were trying to protect Kate and her pictures .. I certainly wasnt against anything she was saying, but it was important I think to make people aware of the Law regarding copyright ... in truth we shouldnt have to ask people not to copy stuff, they just shouldnt do it anyway .. !!!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 19:42 pm 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

When you post an image on the internet then the rules change.
'Fair use' comes into effect. You may copy and paste anothers images to your own page/blog/thread for a number of reasons. That's why you might like to read the Millennium Copyright stuff.
You cant claim them as yours or add them to your 'digital collection'.

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 19:52 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Being a US thing, does that 'Millenium Directive' apply here .. and worldwide ..???
I can understand the Euro Directive applying in the UK, but I wonder if it applies in the US .. and does the US and the rest of Europe abide by the 1988 UK Copyright Act ..??

Quite simply if a picture of mine is copied and used as an illustration on a forum then to a point I dont think I would mind .. if however I saw that picture being printed and or used or passed off as something other than it is then I would I think pursue the matter under copyright laws .. !!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 20:00 pm 
1000+ Poster

The nuances of copyright and ownership are wonderful things, the arguing of which enables lawyers to live in big houses and drive posh cars.
The bottom line is: if it's your "thing", meaning you were the original creator, then the rights are yours and can be assigned only by you.
If the "thing" has been bought / found / inherited etc. then it gets a bit more tricksy. Lot's of people think that "fair use" is a generic Get Out Of Jail card. It isn't.
:)

@Correspondent Yes, the variation in different regional rules muddies the water even further and gives lawyers a full stiffy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 20:06 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
If people want to share, that's fine.

What's not fine is using my images, which I purchase and research in magazines and books without my permission, to make money.. This has happened several times over the last two years.

I did not 'demand'..and I purchased all of the images. In some cases I was given them by the photographer, you seem to think otherwise? I'm intrigued that you seem to know so much about my collection?

Like my clothing collection it has been depleted by theft over the last few years.

Tickety, thanks-I enjoy looking at the images you put on your blog and facebook, you'll notice on there I've also started watermarking mine.

K

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 20:14 pm 
1000+ Poster

But finding or buying or being given an image doesn't assign you copyright. The picture might be in the public domain or it might still be in copyright. Either way, it's not yours to control or ask payment for.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 20:19 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Couldnt agree more Kate ... in taking a picture we own the copyright of that picture for 70 years ... and no one should benefit financially from it.

Martin ... we can be passed ownership of a picture by another who owns it, and I think we can purchase pictures too from others which in some circumstances can confer and infer ownership of it, (more so maybe if its the negative ??) ..which if it can be proven then covers that picture as yours under the copyright laws ..

... as Martin also says though, different rules as applied by different countries and directives make for interesting and often costly legal battles, the only winners being the lawyers .. perhaps the only answer is to register copyright of the images, a small fee covers you for about 10 years I think and is renewable, we perhaps shouldnt need to do it, but once done then all argument is ended surely ..

Tickety I didnt mean to come across all stern in my reply to you ( wasnt sure what to call you so couldnt include a name in my post to soften the wording .. )

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 20:27 pm 
Forum Legend

If a photo has been given to me and all rights therein?

Didn't know we had such a large legal community on here.

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 20:32 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Miss Spitfire wrote:

Didn't know we had such a large legal community on here.

Yes Kate .. this from the UKCS website ..

Who owns the copyright on photographs?
Under law, it is the photographer who will own copyright on any photos he/she has taken, with the following exceptions:

If the photographer is an employee of the company the photos are taken for, or is an employee of a company instructed to take the photos, the photographer will be acting on behalf of his/her employer, and the company the photographer works for will own the copyright.

If there is an agreement that assigns copyright to another party.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 20:34 pm 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Correspondent wrote:
, does that 'Millenium Directive' apply here

Where is the host? The Server?
I dont know myself, you might pay a UK company but the server can be anywhere.
The UK is also a contracting party to WIPO. The condensed versions of the Millennium are much easier to read than the whole rather dull WIPO but the jist is the same.
Miss Spitfire wrote:
you seem to think otherwise?

I have no knowledge of the source, I dont see it matters where they came from.
Why? For all the reasons given in the thread above.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 20:35 pm 
Forum Legend

Excellent. Thanks Allen

:D

Shame I can't share the photos on here though. Ah well.

Kate

Women's Navy Great Coat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 20:36 pm 
1000+ Poster

Correspondent wrote:
Martin ... we can be passed ownership of a picture by another who owns it, and I think we can purchase pictures too from others which in some circumstances can confer and infer ownership of it

Yes, but you need a bit of legal paper to support this (like ricepaper but a lot more bitter:D )

UK copyright used to be 50 years after the death of the originator until we adopted the EU standard of 70. It meant all sorts of things that had been within public domain now fell back into copyright, the squabbling of which meant that Tarquin and Jemima could afford to spend a month in the Seychelles after all.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 20:37 pm 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Miss Spitfire wrote:

If you have a document that shows this then you have the rights. Bonus.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 20:53 pm 
Forum Legend

I do. Super.

Always nice to have a signed document..

Women's Navy Great Coat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next