WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 14:02 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: couple of nice photos
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 14:33 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
Removed. No point sharing images on here.

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

Last edited by Miss Spitfire on Thu Jul 26, 2012 20:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 15:25 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Miss Spitfire wrote:

(all photos copyright K O'Mara 2012)

aaahh Kate ... does that mean I cant 'play' with them ... :) :wink:

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 15:38 pm 
Forum Legend

Feel free Allan!
;)

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 15:44 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

:) actually they look pretty clean ... If I do I will Pm the results to you .. thanks

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 19:15 pm 
4000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

oh i do like those piccys. i especily like the bottom pic of KD. alot of info to kleen out of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 19:42 pm 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
Correspondent wrote:
Miss Spitfire wrote:

(all photos copyright K O'Mara 2012)

aaahh Kate ... does that mean I cant 'play' with them

Interesting that owning a photo also doesn't automatically grant you copyright.
Those photos are probably copyright free, unless the creator can be found.

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 20:13 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Under law, it is the photographer who will own copyright on any photos he/she has taken, with the following exceptions:

1)If the photographer is an employee of the company the photos are taken for, or is an employee of a company instructed to take the photos, the photographer will be acting on behalf of his/her employer, and the company the photographer works for will own the copyright.

2)If there is an agreement that assigns copyright to another party.

In all other cases, the photographer will retain the copyright, if the photographer has been paid for his work, the payment will be for the photographer’s time and typically an allocated number of prints. The copyright to the photos will remain with the photographer, and therefore any reproduction without permission would be an infringement of copyright.

Just so's we all know where its at ... !!!!!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 20:21 pm 
Forum Legend

I own the original image and negative. If you copy it, I expect at least an acknowledgement. If you use it in a book or website/magazine, I expect an acknowledgement or a fee. Simple really.

It's called common courtesy or 'honesty' which is distinctly lacking in this hobby.

Kate

Women's Navy Great Coat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 20:24 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: 53rd Welsh
TBH I've seen some well known re-enacting groups simply taking photographs from somewhat obscure publications, then cheekily watermarking them and putting them on their website as their own property.

Which is of course nonsense.

But it is highly unlikely that most people would know the source of these photographs...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 21:16 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Miss Spitfire wrote:
I own the original image and negative. If you copy it, I expect at least an acknowledgement. If you use it in a book or website/magazine, I expect an acknowledgement or a fee. Simple really.

It's called common courtesy or 'honesty' which is distinctly lacking in this hobby.

Kate

Yes .. its only courtesy as you say Kate ...
If someone in your family took the pictures Kate then as you say its your copyright .. even if you bought them, as Swiper says, at this stage its highly unlikely we would know the original source and thus in legally owning them you can claim copyright .. !!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 21:29 pm 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Correspondent wrote:
and thus in legally owning them you can claim copyright .. !!

Which bit of the Copyright law says that?
When copyright has expired it has expired. Its not renewable.
All you can claim is ownership.
I agree with Katie that it is common courtesy to credit her should you wish to use them.

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 21:56 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Yes .. my apologies, I read it too fast and my memory of what we were taught about copyright is a bit hazy ... well it was 1966 ..!! you are right .. however a person can register copyright without I think having to prove they took the picture, just by proving ownership ?? .. (will have to look that up too ..!!)

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 22:26 pm 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Correspondent wrote:
my memory of what we were taught about copyright is a bit hazy ... well it was 1966

That would make you a little out of date. :wink:
The current act is from 1988.
The EU originated 'Copyright Directive' and the USA's 'Digital Millennium Copyright Act' are all important to us. The later esp. to do with the internet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 22:52 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

I realise that all to well .. just mentioned it in passing ... :) .

Took it for granted a little I think over the years, to be honest not had a lot of trouble that way .. usually it was with folks I did weddings for and they tried to say as they were paying they owned the copyright .. I wasnt THAT dim .. !!!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 17:28 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: The Garrison
Just to complicate matters further... my understanding of current UK legislation is that even if copyright in a photo/artwork has expired (as it does 70 years after the death of the photographer/artist), any subsequent copy of that picture has its own copyright.

In other words, although Kate may not own copyright of the original photograph, she does own the copyright of the digital scan she created of it, and thus is quite within her rights to ask that it is not used without her permission.

This is the main reason why most art galleries forbid members of the public taking photos. It has little to do with flash photos damaging paintings, and much to do with the fact that if you take a photo of an out of copyright artwork, you are free to do with it what you will (thus depriving their commercial picture libraries of potential revenue)!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 17:54 pm 
Forum Legend

Yep, that's correct.

I'll stick to sharing photos with friends on facebook.

Kate

Women's Navy Great Coat