WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 9:20 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 29  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 18:10 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Voorwaarts MARS
*ready to murder the mailman and firebomb the distribution center* Grrrr
Still no camera parts or patches, nor my copy of "Shots of War" bij Tony Vaccaro, nor the original Ike jacket I bought :(

In the meantime....some of you may hate me for posting this one ;)

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:36 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Latest toy:

Signal Corps US Army
Camera, Motion Picture, PH-340-B
Bell & Howell Company

In other words a Bell&Howell Film 70-DL 16mm Camera. Need to source a few more gubbins for it: lenses, tripod, electro-drive (well maybe).
Also need to give it a good clean and maybe a few dabs of paint here and there ;)

As for actually shooting with it; I know the film is still available, but I don't want to think about the cost of having it developed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 16:43 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
You got it then .. :D think I dont like you a little right now .. :wink:

Nice one Rick, well done, it looks good, what sort of condition is it in overall then and have you sourced anymore lens's yet or a wood tripod as I believe you are after one .. ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 22:19 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

The shutter and shutter button were jammed due to oxidation and dirt. The camera must've gotten wet at some point because there's quite a bit of rust on the inside of the lens turret and the part of the shutter that was oxidized was stuck to its guide rods. I used toilet duck to dissolve the oxidation and then I cleaned it up as best I could. After feeding it lots of gun oil and grease in the right places the shutter is purring along nicely again.
Also cleaned the inside of the film chamber and oiled the film door locking mechanism so that it turns smoothly again.

The speed selector dial is still stuck. Probably needs a soak in WD40
Don't know if I can finish cleaning it up tomorrow, otherwise it'll be ready somewhere next week when I get back from holiday ;)

No budget yet for new lenses (though you can pick up 1" c-mount lenses and viewfinders for very little) or anything else for that matter.

Been reading up on anything Filmo and I've spotted an angle finder similar to the one you have. Apparently it was attached above the normal viewfinder on some filmos that have a bracket for it. Giving you a waist-level finder.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 22:45 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

I thought it may be something like that, ie; a facility for waist level viewing, from what you say though there needs to be a bracket too ... dont have that so may let the angle finder go ..??

Luck with the rest of the camera Rick, keep us informed

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:17 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Found that developing 16mm B/W reversal film would cost me about a 1GBP per meter. But then I'd still need to have it digitized and put on DVD....also not cheap.
For 40 meters of film I don't think that's worth it.
BUT....I've got an idea involving a miniature digital 'MUVI' camera and this Filmo ;)

And darn it! Lost the auction for an early Leica Xenon 50mm f/1.5 lens :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:42 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Mr_Flibble wrote:
Found that developing 16mm B/W reversal film would cost me about a 1GBP per meter. But then I'd still need to have it digitized and put on DVD....also not cheap.
For 40 meters of film I don't think that's worth it.

I know I have 300' in storage at present that needs processing, found someone that can do all three for £75, thats to negative of course, still need to get it printed, still its better than the 1 roll of 100' I got done a year or so back ... almost £100 and that to negative despite it being a positive reversal film .. they quoted the age as an excuse, had to do a test first ... :roll:

BUT....I've got an idea involving a miniature digital 'MUVI' camera and this Filmo ;)

Ah Rick ... your not going to gut a serviceable camera I hope .. :o .. ?? If its beyond repair I can understand but if you get it working and serviceable again, it will be a shame to do that to it ... still and all with the cost of processing its a way of 'using' it I suppose ... luck with it all

And darn it! Lost the auction for an early Leica Xenon 50mm f/1.5 lens :(

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:05 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Correspondent wrote:
Ah Rick ... your not going to gut a serviceable camera I hope .. :o .. ?? If its beyond repair I can understand but if you get it working and serviceable again, it will be a shame to do that to it ... still and all with the cost of processing its a way of 'using' it I suppose ... luck with it all

Not to worry, the MUVI despite its tiny size won't be going inside the Filmo. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:09 pm 
1000+ Poster

Location: with don-10 under my finger nails and black & tan around my feet.
Group: 85th Gebirgsjager
That is truly lovely, glad you got it purring.

I picked up a Kodak double 8 Model 20 cine for £3.99. It seems all good, works perfectly. I actually wanted a broken duffer to put a camcorder in but even if this is only a mod 20 its just too nice to hurt! I found some NOS double 8 from the 1970s I'll run through her.

Where can I get double 8 procesed in the UK?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5121552.stm

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson, Quoting Cesare Beccaria. 1809

------------------------------------------
"The 39-45 Society"
Trinity Pyrotechnics. http://www.trinityfx.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 13:15 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Isnt double 8 actually 16mm that you flip over to shoot on each half of the film, and that then gets split in two to make the 8mm film ... if so, you may have same problem getting 16mm done as we have ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 13:16 pm 

Group: Many fronts Living History/ AFRA
Jan & I at War & Peace

Military spec and marked Bell & Howell 16mm with spider turret , hand cranked , mounted on a 1942 New Zealand marked and dated wooden camera tripod ( tripod appears to have been modified for this role ?? , not sure ?? , it is marked as signals ) , at the time I was waiting for the spring to drive the 400ft magazine , this has now arrived for our next outing , hopefully at the "Victory Show" in September .We have since really distressed the much to immaculate clapper board as evidently these would be in a real state , if used at all .
Attachment:
IMG_0439_40_41_fused_tonemapped web[1].jpg

Many thanks , Jan & Jason , many Fronts Living History

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 13:30 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

[quote="Many fronts"]Jan & I at War & Peace

Military spec and marked Bell & Howell 16mm with spider turret , hand cranked , mounted on a 1942 New Zealand marked and dated wooden camera tripod ( tripod appears to have been modified for this role ?? , not sure ?? , it is marked as signals ) , at the time I was waiting for the spring to drive the 400ft magazine , this has now arrived for our next outing , hopefully at the "Victory Show" in September .We have since really distressed the much to immaculate clapper board as evidently these would be in a real state , if used at all .

They would also have been new at one point too surely ...each to his own of course, but I prefer my stuff to age naturally by use (and misuse) :wink: .... good picture, nice presentation, look forward to meeting you some day ... :)

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 13:37 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

ps .. I have just obtained and read 'War Shots - Norm Hatch and the US Marine Corps Combat Cameramen of World War II' .. really good book I can recommend it .. anyway he says in there that shots were always tagged either by a made up board or with a proper clapper board, (although they werent seen that much apparently), it was necessary as they had to know what cameraman had shot what film .. !!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 13:53 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Interesting clip here, shot on Okinawa in 1945, a marine tank has hit a landmine, nearby survivors are rescued but the crew did not get out ... interesting from a photog point of view in that about 1 minute 25 seconds in there is a shot of what looks like a home made board to tag the shot with .. !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBTxtt1VgDQ

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 21:12 pm 
1000+ Poster

Location: with don-10 under my finger nails and black & tan around my feet.
Group: 85th Gebirgsjager
Correspondent wrote:
Isnt double 8 actually 16mm that you flip over to shoot on each half of the film, and that then gets split in two to make the 8mm film ... if so, you may have same problem getting 16mm done as we have ??

Yes I belive it is, so yes I will have the same problem.... Pooo.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5121552.stm

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson, Quoting Cesare Beccaria. 1809

------------------------------------------
"The 39-45 Society"
Trinity Pyrotechnics. http://www.trinityfx.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:37 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

I have a DVD with signal photo company movie reels of the US 2nd Armored Division in Normandy. You see the clapboards in use at the start of most of the sections. So the 165th SPC definitely used them.

Jason, I saw some photos of your impression at W&P over at the USMilitaria forum. Excellent impression both of you :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 29  Next