WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 0:33 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:58 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Voorwaarts MARS

After cleaning and servicing of both cameras. Folding Pocket Kodak on the left.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 13:29 pm 

That is a nice one! Blimey, it looks it was never used! Mine does not feature the leatherette wrapping and I think that I might have a different lens on it. Both your cameras are lovely indeed!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 13:36 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Leatherette along the opening side has shrunk a little bit and came loose. Nothing serious.
There was a little play between the body cover and the film holding frame, but I've solved that by adding a thin strip of foam.

Only waiting for some sunlight to run a roll of film through it.

I've been reading about Kodak using sealskin for their camera leather/bellows, but I've not found any specific information on it.

I'm going to the "in the Footsteps of the 82nd Airborne" event on Saturday. I'll probably take one of my Leicas along.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:55 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Euh okay.....anyone know a cheap source of 5"x19' roll film?

Fairchild K-20 camera

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:15 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Film ... ??? :o think that's the least of your problems ... what about an aircraft .. ?? :D

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:12 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Already need a couple of BF-109s or FW-190s for my Robot II gun cameras

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:26 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Leica IIIc (unmarked "K" version, delivered to US Army of the Occupation around August 1945)
Leitz 5cm f/3.5 Elmar lens (uncoated 1936)
Kuehn Wetzlar Flexameter viewfinder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:26 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Picked up a Pathé Pathescope 9.5mm Motocamera "H" model a week ago at a flea market.
The first model, made in France and with a single speed. Came with a german made "Pathex" H cassette.

Also two German nieuwspapers from March 1942 still in their wrappers.

Mechanism on the Pathescope was jammed.

Rinced it out with running hot water, still jammed. Oiled axels, still jammed.
Checked the speed governor. The brake was putting too much pressure on the brake disc.
fiddled with the adjustment screw and the whole thing ran, but not once I reinstalled it in the body.
Turns out the blade springs attached to the swing-out weights were twisted out of parallel. Presumably from too many sudden stops of the mechanism and the screws holding the springs in place coming loose.
So, I lined up the springs/weights. Tightened the screws and she ran beautifully once more.

Click here for: Running mechanism video

All that was left to do was adjust the brake so the camera ran at the proper speed. Reading up on the internet I learned that the camera runs at 16 frames per second and the film counter counted from 0 to 9 meters (the "H" charger holds roughly 9 meters of film. Coinkydink? I think not).

So...Math....yeah...
Frame size is 7.54mm high x 9.5mm wide (according to the internet).
So 16 frames per second x 7.54mm is roughly 121mm per second
1 meter of film / 121mm is roughly 8.25 seconds per meter.
So I had to adjust the speed governer brake so the film counter clicks every 8.25 seconds.
Took a few attempts, but I think I've got it set right now.
Doesn't really matter though. It's not like I'm ever going to run film through this thing.

Of course, then Cobber shows me a 9.5mm film Group who sell and develop film for these cameras :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 16:59 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

I've got one of those, no idea why I got it, curiosity value I think .. also an 'H' model and also with a Pathex 'H' cassette, runs well too, well done getting yours fixed Rick ... never had plans to use it to be honest, but its good to know there's a group out there that can supply and process 9.5 if needed ...
... now ... if only someone would do the same (at a decent reasonable price) for 16mm sigh .. !!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:32 am 

Just wondered where do other people post their photos. Would be great to see photographs that people are getting using old time cameras.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:26 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

There's a tendency for a certain element here to pull pictures to pieces, .. rather than just view them as pictures the stitch nazis and perfect brigade just come on and demean peoples efforts .. it doesn't matter what camera is used, be it period or modern day digital, the same happens .. its not even criticism frankly, certainly not constructive in any way at all, just opinionated fools with nothing better to do but put folks down.. I've given up posting pics, given up on commenting too on pictures that are posted by others, it only gives the detractors an invite to boost their egos.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 13:16 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

My re-enactment stuff with both digital and periodically correct gear usually goes up on http://www.historyinmotion.nl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 21:31 pm 

Correspondent wrote:
There's a tendency for a certain element here to pull pictures to pieces, .. rather than just view them as pictures the stitch nazis and perfect brigade just come on and demean peoples efforts

What a pity this has happened, and stops people sharing what they love doing, taking great photos.

Mr Flibble just had a quick look at some of yours they look great, oh and thanks for placing that book “They fight with cameras” in your photo above, just started reading it very interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 13:30 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

A small tangent on the cover photo of that book. There is cine footage (presumably by the cinematographer in Rosenblum's detachement P ) of the men from the 5th ESB helping the men of the sinking landingcraft onto the beach where that photo was taken, at some point you see a photographer pass in front of the camera looking at the proceedings. So that's got to be either Walther Rosenblum or Weintraub, I think.

I picked up a "Graflex 22" roll film holder for my 1914 Kodak Auto Graflex recently. Not to be confused with the "Graphic 22" roll film holder for the cameras with Graflok backs. Difference is the size of the plate the holder is mounted and the light trap is inverted from those on the standard 4x5-sized film holders for the Graphic/Spring/Graphic back.
They were a rare sight in WW2, mainly still used with the Graflex Auto Reflex and on the Graflex Combat Graphic 45.

This thing was particularly dirty, not a big deal. But when I tested the film advance I found the roll back brake wasn't working. So I took it apart to see what was wrong. Little did I know there'd be so many gears and springs to keep track of. Of course they all fell out when I had removed the main screws *D'OH*.
Luckily I did find an explosion diagram of the lever-advance roll film holder, which showed a lot of similarities.
Took me an hour but I got it all back together....and it works! Hurrah!

Going to test it out at Bateman's WW1 Weekend. Look for a lonely Sammy with a large camera

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:58 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Some photos taken with a Leica IIIc and Graflex Combat 45

War From Above - Fort Heemskerk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 13:23 pm 

Mr_Flibble wrote:
Some photos taken with a Leica IIIc and Graflex Combat 45

War From Above - Fort Heemskerk

Nice ones Rick!

https://fr-fr.facebook.com/afpsas
https://www.facebook.com/afpsasreconstitution/?ref=page_internal

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next