WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 14:11 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 29  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:15 am 

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
Rather than being the type of person who jumps in whole-heartedly, breaks something, then asks for help when it's all gone wrong...

...I've recently acquired a very nice Kodak six-20 Art Deco, American made (straight struts) and would like some guidance on what to do. It hasn't been fully opened in years, so is there anything I have to do or be wary of before I open out the bellows? Is it advisable to use any specific substance on any specific part of the camera to aid or preserve it? Is it even worth getting it usable, or is the required film hard to come by by? Or should it be resigned to a 'cabinet collection'?
Any help, gratefully received.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:41 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Voorwaarts MARS
Depends on what the bellows are made of. Kodak used cloth covered paper/cardboard for the cheaper models and leather for their more expensive ones.

I would open the bellows very slowly. If they are made of leather the folds might stick together a bit. wiping them with a damp cloth might help unstick them. Once they're extended you can coat them with a thin layer of leather conditioner if they are dry and stiff.

Not much can be done to improve the cardboard ones. When they're holed or torn there is nothing to do but replace them.

If you do find your bellows aren't light tight anymore you can use electrical tape (or 3M masking tape) to patch them up.

The leatherette on the body can benefit from a bit of leather conditioner or shoe polish.

Now, "Six-20" cameras use Kodak's 620 format film. Which is the same as 120 format film but on a thinner and slightly smaller spool. It was discontinued in the early 1990s.
Some early 620 cameras did allow you to use 120 film on the feeding side if you're lucky.
If you have 620 spools you can reroll 120 film onto them (in a darkroom or changebag, look at some online tutorials for this). Some American companies, like B&H, sell respooled film at inflated prices.

Don't forget to ask the 620 spools back when you get the film developed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:28 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

From last month

Zorki Ic came back from my Former Soviet Camera Repairman with new shutter curtains.
Also bought the 1937 Summar off of him. But that's been sold on already.
The Leitz 50mm f/3.5 Elmar lens is a nickel finish one from 1932 and is now paired up with my black 1932 Leica II

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:35 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Last weekend I picked up some spray cans of Mat No.1 at an MV trade show (Plus some other goodies).

So I could finally get round to starting the restoration of my Folmer Graflex Combat 45 camera

All I'm waiting for now is the reproduction US Marine Corps data tag.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 20:42 pm 
1000+ Poster

Location: with don-10 under my finger nails and black & tan around my feet.
Group: 85th Gebirgsjager
Mr_Flibble wrote:
From last month
Zorki Ic came back from my Former Soviet Camera Repairman with new shutter curtains.
Also bought the 1937 Summar off of him. But that's been sold on already.
The Leitz 50mm f/3.5 Elmar lens is a nickel finish one from 1932 and is now paired up with my black 1932 Leica II

I do like Zorkis myself. I have a very early one that I think is mainly Leica parts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5121552.stm

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson, Quoting Cesare Beccaria. 1809

------------------------------------------
"The 39-45 Society"
Trinity Pyrotechnics. http://www.trinityfx.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:22 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Zorki cameras were never put together from Leica parts. Unlike with Zeiss, the Russians never took over the factories at Wetzlar.
It might be that a Zorki was repaired with Leica parts though, but I'd wonder who would bother with that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:06 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Had some fun with a Leica, Rolleiflex and a Speed Graphic at the Coastal Fortress at IJmuiden;

http://www.historyinmotion.nl/m/photos/browse/album/Fort-Eiland-IJmuiden-April-2015

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:33 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

New toy :)

Kodak (Folmer & Schwing division) Auto Graflex R.B in 4x5" (pre-1916 model)
With Ross Xpres lens (from around 1914) made in London

Complete with leather/wood carry case, 6 glass plate holders, a glass plate magazine back and 1 film holder.

Yes, I'm quite chuffed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:46 am 
1000+ Poster

Location: with don-10 under my finger nails and black & tan around my feet.
Group: 85th Gebirgsjager
Mr_Flibble wrote:
Zorki cameras were never put together from Leica parts. Unlike with Zeiss, the Russians never took over the factories at Wetzlar.
It might be that a Zorki was repaired with Leica parts though, but I'd wonder who would bother with that.

Thanks for that, I had heard they took all the tooling and parts but I'll take your word for it. Always good to have more information. :-)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5121552.stm

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson, Quoting Cesare Beccaria. 1809

------------------------------------------
"The 39-45 Society"
Trinity Pyrotechnics. http://www.trinityfx.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 14:03 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

It's a bit tricky;
The Leica plant in Wetzlar lies in the Western part of Germany so the Soviets didn't get their hands on them.
The FED commune was already making their own Leica copies in the 1930s based on the early Leica II design.
Zorki started making cameras based on the FED camera after World War 2.

Also Zeiss built Contax cameras in Jena for another 2 years after the war, before the Soviets moved the factory and engineers to Kiev.
So you get Jena marked Contax cameras built from original parts, and Kiev-built Contax cameras built from left-over parts, and Kiev cameras made from new parts made on the original Zeiss machines.

In the meantime, I scored another Leica IIIc "K" (Left). An unmarked sample from the batch of 200-250 that were sold to the US Army of the Occupation in July/August 1945. The serial number is only 37 removed from the other one (Right).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:20 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Picked up a SCC No.2 Box camera last week at a flea market.
Anyone have an idea about the age?

Apparently SCC or Standard Camera Company (and Modern Camera) was a brand name used by the Coronet company to get around trade laws. These cameras were often sold in seaside tourist shops.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:13 am 

Group: AFPSAS Bretagne
Hi all,
long time since last time I've been posting on this forum. I've been quite busy lately... Still had the time to shoot a film on last private reenactment event in August.
Kodak 35RF with Kodak Ektar 100 film.

https://fr-fr.facebook.com/afpsas
https://www.facebook.com/afpsasreconstitution/?ref=page_internal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:47 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Nice pictures, Ektar film is great, similar to what vintage Kodachrome slides look like. Nice saturated colors.
The blooming around the bright areas is why I don't particularly like the Kodak Anastigmat Special lenses.

Over the past few months I've added a few things to the collection:
Leitz 3,5cm f/3.5 Elmar lens for Leica (came of another Leica sold to the occupation forces in 1945)
Leitz 5cm f/2.5 Hektor lens for Leica (from 1933 - Malcolm Tayler did a fabulous job on the CLA, but at a price)
Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f/2 Sonnar for Contax (1936)
Zeiss Super Ikonta 531 (from a fellow camera enthusiast).
Butcher-Houghton Popular Pressman (had to replace the shutter curtains, still need some film/plate holders for it).

Found a couple of winding keys for Bell&Howell cameras.

Just need events to shoot all this stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 23:12 pm 

I was watching a programme on the TV a couple of weeks ago regarding soldiers at the front in WW1 who were taking photos using a small pocket camera which set me thinking about the photos that my Grandfather took during his time in the Royal Navy from 1914 to 1936 .
I remembered seeing a small camera at my Mums and I am sure this must have been the one my Grandfather used .
Here is an item I found on the web . http://redbellows.co.uk/CameraCollectio ... o1_gen.htm

Here are a couple of photos of the one I have .

For size comparison next to my old Nokia Mobile phone

It looks in good condition , sure it would still work .

I wonder when the back last came off .

Hope you don't mind me posting this but I just wanted to share it , a hundred year old camera .

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:51 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Sweet family heirloom Rob. It's the 1912 design according to that link.

Only problem is that Ensign E1 film (or Kodak 128 film) was discontinued a long long time ago. :(
If you have two E1 film spools someone might be able to cut backing paper for it and roll up some 35mm in it.
(or if you cover up the red window at the back you might be able to feed it 35mm film straight)
That is, if you would actually want to use it some time. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:29 am 

No I wont be using it , it will returned to my Mum for the time being .
I have another bellows camera in a box of my Dads stuff must get that out now and have a look at it . Strange how these old everyday items of their time now seem so fascinating .

Rob

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 29  Next