WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 17:55 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 15:23 pm 

Are there any people on the forum who are regularly taking pictures using original cameras?

I have been using a (1934) Leica Standard on and off for a couple of years now. I find that the lenses that are available really add something that you don't get with modern (much higher quality) lenses. I have recently bought a Russian Rip off Contax II as it has a built in range finder so should be easer to use than my Standard & would appreciate any suggestions for a good 30's lens to use with it.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 15:28 pm 

I use to have a Brownie Box camera from the thirties, but the picture quality is so poor that I sold it.

''Keep your eyes wide open. Tune yourself to the top most pitch. Be nimble as a greyhound, as tough as leather, as hard as Krupp steel and so you shall be the German warrior incarnate.'' - Fallschirmjäger Commandments No.10.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 18:07 pm 
1000+ Poster

General Ignorance wrote:
Are there any people on the forum who are regularly taking pictures using original cameras?

I have been using a (1934) Leica Standard on and off for a couple of years now. I find that the lenses that are available really add something that you don't get with modern (much higher quality) lenses. I have recently bought a Russian Rip off Contax II as it has a built in range finder so should be easer to use than my Standard & would appreciate any suggestions for a good 30's lens to use with it.

I think it has something to do with coated vs uncoated lenses. The cheapo Russian cameras are awesome for getting an oldy fashioned look :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:58 am 

Did you contax 11 rip off (presume you mean a Kiev) come with a lens? If so even though it will be coated the photos you get will look fine, see mine from last Pippingford park.

If no lens with your body you can pick up suitable post war Kiev lenses fairly cheaply, go for the 5cm one to start. Pre-war Zeiss lenses can fit, again start with a 5cm one. There are various zeiss ones available, pick one that 1. is available 2. is in your price range, as these are getting rarer and more expensive.

A word of warning. The Zeiss lenses do fit the Kiev body and often work well. However I have one body that produces out of focus photos with a Zeiss lens fitted but in focus ones with the Kiev lens fitted.

Sorry, editied to add: Any contax bayonet lens should fit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 19:54 pm 

Group: The Best.
contact Olive drab. He is the Boss on all things camera related.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 21:16 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Short answer if I may ... yes I do
Two Leicas .. 1936 III or model F and a 1937 IIIA or model G ...
A 1942 Contax
A 1942 and 1943 Argus
A Two 1942 Kodak 35's
A Speedgraphic although Im not sure of the date, with a roll film back attachment
A Bell and Howell 16mm Filmo 70DA with turret lens .. I believe this to be a 40's model
... and have sort of collected a variety of other non military period cameras too ...

... erm .. you did ask ... :)

ps; I also have a Zeiss Ikon Orix 308/1 which I got from the US in a OD carry case with other photographic sundries.. this had apparently been used by a Signal Corps Photographer, the seller when he bought it tried also to get the guys uniform and other belongings but the price went too high for him. I think I posted when I first got it not sure, it is a plate camera but I would love to get a roll film back for it and use some 120 in it to see the results ... !!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 17:37 pm 

Group: Commando group Holland- part of the VHM
I do also, I have and take pictures wite a Rolleicord from '38- an Argus C3 from '42- an Ikon Ikonta from '44. Sometimes is use a olympus trip, an practica. I have also a balgcamera from the early '30 I use, and indeed the picrures have something.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 18:26 pm 
1000+ Poster

Location: with don-10 under my finger nails and black & tan around my feet.
Group: 85th Gebirgsjager
I have a 1941 Ciroflex TLR and a 1929 Vroitlander folder. Both bought for very little money and I really enjoyed restoring. I get some good results but I have to say I mainly use the Canon DSLR, sorry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5121552.stm

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson, Quoting Cesare Beccaria. 1809

------------------------------------------
"The 39-45 Society"
Trinity Pyrotechnics. http://www.trinityfx.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:56 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Voorwaarts MARS
Let's see...

1930s/40s cameras I have and regularly use:
Leica I (Model E Standard, 1938)
Leica III
Leica IIIa (1937)
Leica IIIc (Red Curtain 1941)
2 x Leica IIIc (1942)
Leica IIIc "K" (Sold to the US Army of the Occupation in 1945)
Anniversary Speed Graphic 4x5 (1945)
Pre-Annivesary Baby Speed Graphic 2x3 (1941)
Autographic Vest Pocket Kodak (WW1)
Kodak No.2 Autographic Folding Brownie
Kodak No.2 Box Brownie (Model F)
Kodak 35 (civilian)
kodak 35 "PH-324" (military)
Kodak 35 Rangefinder
Kodak Medalist (1941)
Kodak Retina II (model 142)
Argus A
Argus C3
Ciroflex Model D
KW Pilot-6
Certo Super Dollina
Ihagee Kine Exacta
FED-1d NKVD
Zorkii-1 (probably 1950s though)
Kiev IIa (with Jupiter-8 lens)
Perfex Fifty-Five (though now busted)
Rolleicord Ia
Rolleiflex 'old' Standard
Voigtländer Brillant
Welta Weltini II
Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor 54/2
Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex III 853/16
Zeiss Ikon Nettar (forgot the model number)
Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 532/16

I also have a Bell & howell Filmo (also a 70DA I think) to lug around.

And I have another 20 or so post-war cameras to play with.

For the Contax copy (Kiev), I'd go with a Russian lens as they are pretty cheap in comparison to the Zeiss glass. Both the Jupiter-3 and Jupiter-8 in Kiev/Contax mounts are very good. The Helios-103 is supposidly very good also, but I have no experience with that one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:23 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Oh well .... :roll: .. if your going to do the full list route .. :lol: :wink:

Only kidding .. impressive and I am a little envious of some you have especially the PH-324, would love one of those. I have one that is a 'fake' in as much it is an early Kodak 35 made up to look like the PH-324, they did a good job and for £20 I thought well why not ??

I have it in mind to photograph them and put them up on the 'collection' thread ... out of interest to others perhaps .??

Nice collection there ....

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:35 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Voorwaarts MARS
Sorry ;) Yeah well, there's one fellow on here who beats me at all-things-leica though. :)
I'm envious of your war-time Contax.

I have a number of camera pr0n photos I could share as well, Maybe we need a dedicated period camera topic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:28 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Might be an idea at that ... ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 13:28 pm 

Gentlemen,
may I ask you what film you currently use with your Kodak 35s? I mean brand and model/reference... so as to get "period-looking" pictures.
I'm asking because I have a 1940 Kodak 35 RF, and was thinking about using a roll of Kodak Plus-X Pan 125iso with it.
Thanks in advance,
Pierre

https://fr-fr.facebook.com/afpsas
https://www.facebook.com/afpsasreconstitution/?ref=page_internal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 13:52 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Hi Pierre .. personally I shoot on (out dated) Kodak Max or Ultra 400 color film ... Had I been around back then even though it was scarce I would have moved heaven and earth to get and use color film ... also as I have said before, I can get black and white from a color negative, .. the best of both worlds .. you cant get color from a black and white negative .. !!

I find the combination of out of date film and uncoated lens and fast speed helps give the desired effect.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 14:08 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
There's an excellent 'proper' camera shop near me that is closing soon and selling off a lot of it's film stock.

I favour Ilford and have bought a fair few rolls, but if anyone's looking for anything in particular I'm happy to ask the man if he has it.

Kate

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 14:16 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Ohhh Kate yes please Kodak Color film .. ideally 400 speed but anything will do ... Im at YWE by the way ... oh if I may any 120 film too ..thanks (with fingers crossed ) :)

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next