WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:56 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Compare collections!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 14:00 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
Matt, erm, a slight query, ref your RAF Regt Heavy Duty (not Battle) Dress...my sources indicate that the Lightning Flash for Tradesmen was not worn, but the Crossed Flags (a la Army) was worn on the lower sleeve.
I was going mention ranks not being held and walting, or the fact that most of us suffer from depression/PTSD, and still find time to be civil to others...but I won't...
Yours
Ian

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 19:19 pm 

Cheers Oggy,
Your sources, I presume they're of the historical flight variety, The insignia is correct for 1942 spidercatcher signaller, pre-introduction of the crossed flags sleeve trade badge which was introduced early in 1943. I did have a reference picture but the power lead on my hardrive has broken.

Matty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:01 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Hi Matt
This is Jamie writing this...

You really need to get help and SOON. I/we have had no input in your latest spat. As you know you were banned from an RAF Regt forum for throwing teddies out of cot. You were given the opportunity to work with the RAF Regt in a historical context, playing by their rules. ie no rank to be worn when working with Corps unless it had been held for REAL in the Corps.

This was to establish credability and avoid the Walt issue. You declined to agree to this. IF you wish to start slagging me off on a forum where I have no way of replying, or take an interest that is your choice.

Regarding your self appointed role as Mister Royal Air Force Regiment, answer the question why are you not welcome at the Regt Depot? The answer is that after your performance at the Meiktela Dinner the WOs and SNCOs will not have you back. This info was volunteered to me by a SNCO I did not know. He also described you as a " f***ing stalking leech".

Unlike you there is no need to tell people how good I am. My team rely on results and our personal reputation. Hence not having a page in "Your Unit"

Further more, as a former proud menber of the Royal Air Force Regiment, who is in reciept of war disability pension, I personally find your representation of my heritage offesive. I await contact from your legal representative.

Per Ardua Jamie

I bought a farm because I like fresh air, At milking time I tried to do my share, And when I found the bucket wasn't there, Well I did what I could with my gas mask

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:08 pm 

Hi all,
For the benefit of all watching & reading, I shall explain myself and justify what I do in this hobby/ part time job as sometimes it seems. (AS can't do right for doing wrong most of the time , someone gets offended or has a different point of view).
I have spent twenty years doing the various units I represent.
I also represent members of my family that fought and died in both World wars.
I also run a mobile living history museum / Rockape roadshow that displays equipment/uniforms and weaponry for educational purposes. I also run my own living history group.
I use common sense not a "Walter Mitty" syndrome as some of the uniforms I wear/ collect have minimum ranks, or I have been asked to represent a certain rank or job.
For example the minimum rank of a RAF policeman is corporal so that's what I portray,
the minimum rank of an RAF Airgunner is sergeant and that's what I portray.
The minimum rank of a Glider pilot is Sergeant for example ,but I was asked by the group 39-45 society to represent a Squadron Officer so I chose the minimum officer rank for that job as Lieutenant.
Like i've said I run my own group, I could rank up as a squadron leader but instead I portray sergeant.
I also portray privates , lance jacks and full screw corporals.
I have been tasked to do reunions and specific events for military organisations, When doing an event for the Sergeants and Warrant officer's mess is better to wear the rank of sergeant or portray an officer to show them what they would have worn 60+ years ago??
At the end of the day this a hobby or special interest, I'm not employed by H.M forces and as far as I know its a free country , free choice and I don't and won't take the p**s.

I've said before on previous threads I won't desecrate and original uniform by removing rank that was earned by the previous owner. Its is my choice and decision to buy the uniform in the first place, like a free decision to do what event or what to wear. My destiny is my own and no one else's to decide.

Matty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:51 pm 

alzamina wrote:
Hi Matt
This is Jamie writing this...

You really need to get help and SOON. I/we have had no input in your latest spat. As you know you were banned from an RAF Regt forum for throwing teddies out of cot. You were given the opportunity to work with the RAF Regt in a historical context, playing by their rules. ie no rank to be worn when working with Corps unless it had been held for REAL in the Corps.

This was to establish credability and avoid the Walt issue. You declined to agree to this. IF you wish to start slagging me off on a forum where I have no way of replying, or take an interest that is your choice.

Regarding your self appointed role as Mister Royal Air Force Regiment, answer the question why are you not welcome at the Regt Depot? The answer is that after your performance at the Meiktela Dinner the WOs and SNCOs will not have you back. This info was volunteered to me by a SNCO I did not know. He also described you as a " f***ing stalking leech".

Unlike you there is no need to tell people how good I am. My team rely on results and our personal reputation. Hence not having a page in "Your Unit"

Further more, as a former proud menber of the Royal Air Force Regiment, who is in reciept of war disability pension, I personally find your representation of my heritage offesive. I await contact from your legal representative.

Per Ardua Jamie

Well Jamie,
As far as I'm concerned the Members of the Sergeants and W/O mess At Honington on the Anniversary of the "Meiktila" battle including the veteran that was there were happy with the job I did, and certainly didn't do any leaching or stalking. News to me as they offered to billet me for the night so I wouldn't have to drive all the way back home and could enjoy some big beers with them.
My attitude and behaviour were execellently soldierly as I'm sure they would have pulled me up at the time or are they that two faced??

I was not interested in posting on there or could be bothered to be on the Regt forum (I had removed alot of my pictures and info) and I engineered my departure from there, whats the point of being part of something that is constantly fighting eachother, even the veterans and different branches of the association fall out with each other and start fighting.

I declined to work with you because I was advised not to no other reason than that and I've told you lots of times (no hidden agendas), I remember everytime you phoned me you really moaned about the historical flight and that didn't generate any interest in joining up either.
the same way I was advised not to help the Regt in anyway, Including donating my collection as a loan to the museum or leaving it in my will as a bequest.

The days of myself being bothered by your opinion of me have long gone and I don't care or worry what you think of me as I certainly don't do this for your acceptance Mr Quinn. I certainly don't waste my breath in talking about you or slagging you off to anyone as you're not in my thoughts at all and not a concern of mine.

Matty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:04 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: TommyAtkins Society
Knock it on the head Gents please!
Back on Topic..........here is my small collection of Queen's Bays' badges......
I do have about six albums of other Bays bits, photos, documents, troop ship mess deck tickets usw, anything to do with 2nd.DG.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:14 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Oooh lovely. Were they supposed to all have a red backing?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:50 am 
1000+ Poster

No, the red backing came in with the beret in mid 1946.
And the officers bronze no backing.
Here is a set of the pre 1921.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:01 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: independent knowledgeable Promenader
Wonderful collection there Barce obviously you are a very proud Man,due respect Sir.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:01 pm 

Hi Barce,
My mate was in 2nd Dragoon Guards,

Matty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:41 pm 
1000+ Poster

Matty, name and when 2DG?

The dragon badge on the right of selection is of the French 2nd. Dragons!!! (true Dragons) twinned with Bays end of WW2, big badge changing ceremony 1950, they got two silver cavalry trumpets we got badges!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 13:52 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

BarceB711 wrote:
No, the red backing came in with the beret in mid 1946.
And the officers bronze no backing.
Here is a set of the pre 1921.

Excuse my total ignorance here, but what did they wear on their heads before mid 46 then?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 14:26 pm 

Group: home of the brave
BarceB711 wrote:
Matty, name and when 2DG?

The dragon badge on the right of selection is of the French 2nd. Dragons!!! (true Dragons) twinned with Bays end of WW2, big badge changing ceremony 1950, they got two silver cavalry trumpets we got badges!!

wow not see it befor,, :D i like it,,

Hadeel
xxxx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 15:58 pm 
1000+ Poster

Combover.........side caps.. see Alamein pics.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 16:00 pm 

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry, F.I.R.E.44
A few Fillies from the stables! :D
Flying Flea circus: 1943, 1944 and 1949
1943, 1944
1944 James ML

1943 Ongoing project

Matt

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:54 am 

I can't see any image posted in the message

I see it as:

Updated piccy's

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next