WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:38 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 23:29 pm 

I am looking for someone knowledgeable about the Queen Alexandra Imperial Military Nursing Service to help answer two questions regarding the cape badge worn by the reserves. I have recently purchased a cape badge called a "miniature variant" by the vendor. It is basically identical to the collar badge save for the ring atop of it. Never having heard of one of these existing, I am a little worried if an unscrupulous vendor with a very crude sense of humour tinkered with a simple collar badge to quadruple his revenue. It shows no signs of alteration and if it was altered it must have been years ago. Do I have some kind of rarity or else?

The second question is regarding the photograph of a QAIMNS(R) sister that I have seen recently who did not wear her cape badge. The photograph dates 1915-1917, by the way. According to my current knowledge, all QAIMNS personnel would have been issued a cape badge and I would imagine that they would be immensively proud of it, much like a pilot is of his wing badge, leading me to think that she would have especially wanted to wear it for having her photograph taken. I would truly appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this, this had me perplexed for quite a while now!

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 16:52 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
Do you mean the miniature medal worn on the tippet?

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 18:11 pm 

This very much sounds like a tippet badge (tippet being the short cape worn my QAIMNS nurses over their ward dress) as Kate asks. It should have a loop at the top for the ribbon to thread through and is about the same size as the later collar badges. There are, however, a lot of reproductions about, some of them very good, some not so good. It was worn on the right hand side of the tippet on the red band officially (although I have seen photos of it worn on the grey part of the tippet too). I suspect your sister in the photo had a reason for not wearing hers. She could have mislaid it (horror or horrors!), removed it for work on the ward and not replaced it before her photo was taken, hadn't received it by the time the photo was taken or maybe she was wearing it elsewhere and forgot to place it on her tippet? We'll never know for certain. The tippet badge was also worn at the beginning of WW2 when the red cuff rings were also still used to denote rank but it was soon replaced by collar badges and the cuff rings by pips on the shoulder epauletes.
The following web page is very helpful and the lady who runs it (Sue Light) always answers emails regarding information:
http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/index.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 23:18 pm 

Thank you very much for your replies! They have been of great help. It seems like I always gauged the cape badge to be much bigger than it actually is, much like the War Medal in fact. After reviewing this group https://learn.canvas.net/courses/687/pa ... s-9-medals , it clearly shows that, as you noted, they are the same size as the collar badges. Thank you for clarifying that! For some reason I was expecting it to be equal in size to the regular QAIMNS cape badge.

It is comforting to hear that she ought to have been issued one. How I wish that only they were named! Also, thank you very much for the provided link. I will have to make sure that I have bookmarked Mrs. Light's website since it really is an oustanding resource!

By the way, I have recently made a very lucky find on Ebay - I bought a very interesting QAIMNS related piece of trench art; a tea caddy made from a German 75mm shell that just happens to have been made by the local ordnance factory in the city in which I am currently residing. It still retains all of it's markings, including the 1916 date. A QAIMNS cap badge was then carefully fitted to it's side. It features a beautifully made cover, too, and is highly polished making it look like it came out of a Dunhill store rather than the Westen Front. I wish I knew the history behind this particular item.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 21:01 pm 

Glad you found the link useful. Sue is a great source of info on QAIMNS and all military nurses and she's very helpful. Enjoy your finds!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:00 am 
Forum Legend

:)

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 20:22 pm 

A long story made short, I learned that the pre-war cape badge was of a 28mm diametre whereas the Second World War version was a mere 22mm. Therefore, I deduct that I have bought the latter, since mine measures exactly 22mm. If anyone is interested in it, I am selling it and looking to replace it with a Great War production. I would also like to thank all of you for your kind replies, which have been very helpful to me.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 22:28 pm 
Forum Legend

See your other post.

K

Women's Navy Great Coat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:19 am 

Thank you! I have replied to it over there, too.