WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:41 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: WAAF Nurses KD?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:52 am 

Attachment:
IMG_6439.JPG
Attachment:
IMG_6439.JPG

Hi Everyone
I am new to this so please be gentle! I have just purchased a light cotton, button down dress with WAAF badges on the epaulettes- sold to me as 1940s style WAAF Nurse's (tropical) dress. The key here is obviously in the word 'style' - I'm used to buying vintage and know thats a good indication that it isn't very authentic. However I was intrigued. As far as I know Nurses in tropical or African climates would have worn separates not dresses is that right? And would have worn a blue soft front hat with their KDs?

The dress was also advertised with a blue elasticated nurses belt (for demo purposes).

I'm under no illusion that I may have bought something totally useless here but wanted to get some advice in case it could perhaps become something entirely different. Pictures attached of said dress and also the point of reference I have when searching for WAAF KDs

I do some military themed charity work which doesn't necessarily require ww2 era clothing so I can probably get away with using it for that somehow.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: WAAF Nurses KD?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 14:20 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
Sorry, totally useless for WAAF.

PMRAFNS or WAAF orderlies/medics didn't wear this kind of garment at all.

Buy a copy of Brayley and Ingram's book, whilst not 100% perfect it will give you more of an idea of what to look for. As for this, return it to ebay if that's where it came from and ask for a refund.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Uniform ... ms+Brayley

Kate.

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 18:08 pm 

Thank you Kate, I knew it was probably a long shot but had to ask! I have friends in warmer climates who might be able to put it to use, or I will wear it as fashion or something. It didn't come from eBay, private sale but wasn't expensive so I'm not sore.

Thanks again for your reply.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 20:19 pm 

Looks identical to the modern KD dress worn by all ranks of female RAF personnel. The exception is the buttons. So, either someone has changed the buttons, or this is a slightly earlier variant but definitely modern (that is post 1970). Sorry. Also, it's worn without a belt. Not a very flattering dress, but I suppose it would be cool.