WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:42 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:57 am 

Group: Civil Defenders
Oops... sorry, posted this in the wrong thread. Should have been in the "Combined Groups Displays" thread.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 13:29 pm 
 WWW  Profile

utilityjude wrote:
obt48 wrote:
How about setting what you are doing in the Village Hall? At many events people create amazing buildings out of their tents. You could have a blackboard announcing that "Mrs Jones of the W.I. will be giving a talk/demonstration on how to...". That could give you a context in which to give your audience tips on clothes, hair, makeup or whatever. Just a thought.
Hi Owen.
Don't know if you are replying to Laura or myself.

Good advice but if you give it a context like this though, it would only be right to do it in the first person, which I already do with a Make do and Mend or Utility Fashion Demonstration. This wouldn't work with what I would like to try at Pickering. I am aiming more for a talk to guide women to an easy and cheap but authentic look for Wartime, gently perhaps dispelling the images we see of flowers in the hair, fascinator hats and sausage roll hairdo's.

There not really any point in trying to give this a wartime context because it is not.
Jude

Oh, I'm looking forward to Pickering already. I always enjoy seeing your displays Jude!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 18:52 pm 

Group: Civil Defenders
Hope to see you all at some event sooner or later... but tend to do East Anglian events myself, but would love to come to Pickering if I can.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 19:46 pm 

Group: 'To Victory, Together!' (Me, him and the dog)
TicketyBooTupney wrote:

Oh, I'm looking forward to Pickering already. I always enjoy seeing your displays Jude!

Now Tupps. I thought you wouldn't be going from what you have said before about it being too busy etc.
If you are, I'd love your help!
Incoming PM.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 16:09 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Harry & Edna on the Wireless
It is a shame I have only just seen this thread as Edna gave a talk at IWM Duxford last weekend about fashion on the ration and covered womens hairstyling.

A synposis of the display is on the link below

http://www.homefrontfriends.org.uk/events/index_files/Page338.htm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:41 am 

Well...
I was as nervous as hell before Pickering and quite expected to be confronted by various representatives of the hobby with a small bag of stones in hand :lol:.
But I came away having no bruises other than those which were self induced and really enjoyed my time in a wet and puddly Pickering Station Car park.
Probably the nicest thing was having women who had listened to my talks, returning the following day to ask for further advice,or to proudly show me that they had taken some advice on board and altered one aspect of how they had dressed the day before.
It also proved to me that something like this is really helpful to many of those women who are just starting out and who, for any amount of reasons are finding it so difficult to research.
Some of them said that it's was not that they lacked period clothes, it was that they didn't know how to put everything together to get a certain look to be more accurate and realistic.
Lots of diplomatic juggling was needed but I don't think I really offended any-one....badly.

And to have such a lovely role model as Ticketyboo Tupps helping out was the best of all.
Thank you Tupps!
Jude

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:40 pm 

Group: Blyth Battery, 68th DLI
Jude

Glad you managed to get back over the wall safely on Sunday night.

I know how nervous I get before standing up in front of people but having listened to your very informative and entertaining talk, and watching the audience carefully, I think you got it spot on. Certainly the nerves did not show once you got into full flow.

I know we picked up a few tips, and although I doubt the better half will ever do anything other than a day in the dressing up box, even at that level she got a few ideas on how to look a little more “awfentic”

I liked the way you managed to stay positive, looking for cheap and practical ways to alter dresses etc to make them look a bit better, pointing out the right shoes etc.

The comment about dressing for your age and generation did make me smile as Jennifer and I had that very conversation on the way down and she had said to me earlier she didn’t want to go to these events, either looking like “mutton dressed as lamb” or as a too old, too unfit, whatever…... She was looking for and got from you quite a few ideas for herself.

To me you managed to get the message across without offence, and if anyone was offended then they only had to walk away. However if they stayed to be offended then that says more about them, than about what you were saying doesn’t it.

Looking forward to seeing you the next time.

And TicketyBoo nice to actually meet you even if I didn’t properly introduce myself.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 20:17 pm 

The Wall?
No we chickened out and walked the long way round the trout farm. It was higher up from the road side and anyway,there was no nice American to help me on the other side this time.

Thanks for the feedback Darden.
See you in 2014.
Jude