WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 23:21 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 18:56 pm 

I've been reenacting ww2 for 3 years and have yet to be invited to a group that I can really be a part of. With the extensive amount of military orientated displays and groups it's hard for a lady to find a group or something to do in a day apart from promenade!

Is there anyone in the Midlands area who (like me) fancies just having a display of ladies vintage goodies, do each others hair, talking to the public about fashion, knitting, make up, underwear? ;)

I'll have to admit I'm pretty ungirly when im not doing the 1940s thing, however when I'm dressed up I like to show the public something a little different, the small things that people always miss out because of the heavily military based reenacting world!

Anyone out there interested in it?

"World War II was the last government program that really worked."
- George Will

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 20:04 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Forward To Victory
Hi Laura,
Regarding civilian life scenario's, have you had a chance to attend Military Odyssey recently ?
Reason I ask is that I'm a proud member of a group containing some very talented people within its number,.........first year we displayed at W7P revival, this year as well.

The group depict villiage life during the 40's, through the medium of its shop keepers, publican, police, fire (Afs/Nfs) and civil defence (Arp)services, not forgetting Ministry of food, and Wvs.

Based as we are 'down south', it may be too far to travel to see us in action, as it were, - But, - in answer to your original question, Yes there is a Homefront pressence within the 40's field.

All the best with you depiction (s)

Andy

Corporal Munchkin wrote:
I've been reenacting ww2 for 3 years and have yet to be invited to a group that I can really be a part of. With the extensive amount of military orientated displays and groups it's hard for a lady to find a group or something to do in a day apart from promenade!

Is there anyone in the Midlands area who (like me) fancies just having a display of ladies vintage goodies, do each others hair, talking to the public about fashion, knitting, make up, underwear? ;)

I'll have to admit I'm pretty ungirly when im not doing the 1940s thing, however when I'm dressed up I like to show the public something a little different, the small things that people always miss out because of the heavily military based reenacting world!

Anyone out there interested in it?

Sussex Home Guard and Civilian LDV

ARP/Civil Defence

AFS
NFS
(NFS overseas, work in progress)

Tommy, WW1 ........work in progress

Never forgetting the sacrifices made, by many, so's I can live the way I do.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 20:45 pm 

Group: 'To Victory, Together!' (Me, him and the dog)
Hi Laura.
You are so right. There are not many civilians that want to actually put hardwork into setting up displays to show the true side of wartime life. Many female civilians just want to ponce about in furs and high heels with ridiculous hair and hats, having a jolly and doing nothing to enhance the history of the Home Front, quite the opposite instead.
This is such a shame as there are many civilian veterans out there that can give you so much information about this area of the war which you will never find in books or on-line. They will tend to stop and talk much more to those displaying, rather than just walking around. Promenaders miss out on this ability to improve their portrayals through first hand knowledge.
Don't know if you are going to the Victory show, but I will be there displaying somewhere with my little trailer. Come and have a chat if you are and I can try to help you with some advice on setting up displays etc.
Regards.
Jude

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 21:05 pm 

Group: Civil Defenders
Where in the Midlands? If you are free this weekend come along to Rufford Abbey, Nottinghamshire - various civilians, including female - WVS, ARP, Red Cross, St John Ambulance, nurses, air raid victims etc etc. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kROwdQEXhF4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 21:08 pm 

...see also: http://eventplan.co.uk/page122aaaaa.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 21:20 pm 

Obt48 - thank you for your response, I have heard of Rufford Abbey, unfortunately I am at another event this weekend. The thing is that my idea is to not portray the work elements of the home front, but more the standard day at home, fashion, make up, and that element that is almost always missed out and only displayed by promenaders.

thank you for the information and enthusiasm

All the best

- George Will

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 21:27 pm 

LeeEnfield - Hello again! I was at War and Peace Revival this year dressed in NFS, I hope you remember me.

My idea has come from inspiration of the home front at WAPR, though I would really like the focus of my display to be focused more on the home element than the big names in ww2, such as the Land Army or the NFS. The concept is to show the fashions, makeup, the home of the 1940s, taking the focus away from the military aspects of world war two (only a little).

utilityjude - thank you for your response, I think a lot of people have noticed the promenaders, and being a reeactor for 17 years I like to give more to the public. I just want to get the promenaders talking about what they are wearing, and how they do their hair, because lets face it, theres not enough of these type of displays.

All the best

- George Will

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 22:26 pm 

Corporal Munchkin wrote:
My idea has come from inspiration of the home front at WAPR, though I would really like the focus of my display to be focused more on the home element than the big names in ww2, such as the Land Army or the NFS. The concept is to show the fashions, makeup, the home of the 1940s, taking the focus away from the military aspects of world war two (only a little).

utilityjude - thank you for your response, I think a lot of people have noticed the promenaders, and being a reeactor for 17 years I like to give more to the public. I just want to get the promenaders talking about what they are wearing, and how they do their hair, because lets face it, theres not enough of these type of displays.

All the best

I am pleased that we inspired you at War and Peace Laura. We made a conscious effort to show just that kind of woman.
Hair displays seem to be gaining in popularity with many stalls giving period hair styling. The trouble is, very few of them actually do it well and seem to be churning out Hollywood starlet /50's pinup hair styles and calling them WW2.
Done well and accurately, I think this would be a great idea but it will be very difficult to find knowledgable promenaders of Ms Average not in uniform who will commit to being tied to a display all day rather than to be able to come and go as they please.
Why not have a go on your own with a small display? You may then find it easier to encourage some others once they see what you are doing.
Regards.
Jude

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:43 pm 

Jude,

thank you for your message, right now it looks like I will be doing it solo for a short while to gain interest, look at this as 'the big picture' for the future really. Oh when I do my hair I do the good old pin curling, i cant achieve the 50s look, to be honest i need more practice on the victory rolls! But you have a point, perhaps not too many women would want to give up on their promenading. I have had a bit of interest which is delightful, so we will just have to see how it goes :)

Thanks for you wonderful help :)

- George Will

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 17:27 pm 

Go for it girl!
Most of what I do, I do it solo, with the logistics help from the other half and although really hard work, I never feel it isn't worth it. It is amazing the amount of offers from those promenaders to watch your display for a while to give you a quick break from it.
I'm going to try something different at Pickering this year if I can sort out how to do it and where....not at the showground but one of the stations. I'm dog free this year which gives me far more options. More of a talk/demonstration rather than living history, about the true wartime look perhaps a couple of times a day. Would be good to have a partner to help if you are going up that way. Mind you I have said all this over rather a large glass of wine.......yes I know it's early but it was needed.....so I may change plans later.
Regards.
Jude

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:24 am 

How about setting what you are doing in the Village Hall? At many events people create amazing buildings out of their tents. You could have a blackboard announcing that "Mrs Jones of the W.I. will be giving a talk/demonstration on how to...". That could give you a context in which to give your audience tips on clothes, hair, makeup or whatever. Just a thought.

This past weekend at Rufford we got talking to a member of the public who is a hairdresser. I was saying that there is no one that I know of who does '40s men's haircuts. She sat me down there and then and proceeded to cut my hair. How's that for involving the public! See https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:06 am 

[quote="obt48"]How about setting what you are doing in the Village Hall? At many events people create amazing buildings out of their tents. You could have a blackboard announcing that "Mrs Jones of the W.I. will be giving a talk/demonstration on how to...". That could give you a context in which to give your audience tips on clothes, hair, makeup or whatever. Just a thought.
Hi Owen.
Don't know if you are replying to Laura or myself.

Good advice but if you give it a context like this though, it would only be right to do it in the first person, which I already do with a Make do and Mend or Utility Fashion Demonstration. This wouldn't work with what I would like to try at Pickering. I am aiming more for a talk to guide women to an easy and cheap but authentic look for Wartime, gently perhaps dispelling the images we see of flowers in the hair, fascinator hats and sausage roll hairdo's.

There not really any point in trying to give this a wartime context because it is not.
Jude

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 21:41 pm 

Hi Jude. My comment was really for Laura, but also just generally. When it comes to hairstyles, I know very little about women's hair, but am acutely aware that the '40s was not all Hollywood glamour. I am also very aware that with both men's and women's hairstyles it depends to a large extent on a person's age. People sometimes try to "keep up with the times" but in our own times you can see that a man in his 70s may well have the remnants of a teddy-boy quiff style, a man in his 60s may well have hippy long hair, or (slightly later) a pony tail, a man in his 50s a remnant mullet, a man in his 40s a remnant punk cut etc etc. Being rather older my 40s haircut should reflect my growing up in the 1890s/1900s, and the twenty-year-olds should have the Brylcream!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 13:49 pm 

Thanks to everyone for your messages.

Regarding the hairstyles, that was so gerat of you to get a 1940s males haircut, its something that I will really consider. But you get the gist, its about those small things that people never really look into because to some its either 'obvious' or too boring to look up because it isnt military. I will definitely look into the mens hairstyles and that side. Keep bringing on he ideas though.

Jude, if you do do your display I will come find you, unfortunately I'm only day tripping with my mum in a wheelchair otherwise I would have got involved. Perhaps we should have a rendezvous one day for idea passing :)

Thank you all for your support :)

- George Will

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 20:10 pm 

Look forward to meeting you Laura.
jude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 20:23 pm 

A lot of of great ideas flying about!

Last weekend at Rufford Abbey amongst other things there was a great Air Raid scenario put on - NFS with several fire engines, smoke, bangs, 60 foot ladder with guy at the top, lots of hoses and water jets, involving other people - ARP, police, off-duty soldiers rescuing civilians, Police, Home Guard (me), nurses, St John Ambulance Ambulances etc etc. Good example of others working with one group. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfEq8wLyWQk

Barrage balloon - 24 years ago I performed at Glastonbury on my horse (as St George) slaying a 90ft inflatable dragon. The guys who made it also had a barrage balloon, but don't know if they still do. See: http://www.airartists.co.uk/cgi-bin/fil ... 16.jpg.htm

Owen