WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 23:45 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: ATS badging....
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:14 am 

Group: SOE/Resistance, Soviet Partisan, ATS
Hi all

im looking for some advice, i am re-badging for ATS and have gotten confused with what i actually need.

Its for o/r.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Many thanks from a novice.

Emily :D

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: ATS badging....
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:22 pm 

Group: RNRLHG
I have an ATS service dress jacket and the insignia is as follows: Two brass ATS titles on the shoulder tabs, 'flaming bomb' brass badge above the left breast pocket, AA Division patches on each shoulder.White lanyard.
The side cap that came with the grouping has the normal ATS badge.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:48 pm 

Thank you. :-):-):-)

what about battledress??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 15:21 pm 

Group: RNRLHG
Not too sure...Cloth shoulder titles and division flashes?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 19:22 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: VMD
Hi Emily,

what do you want to portray? If you are wearing a battledress there are several options. I have got an ATS drivers blouse whih doesn't have any insignia, just a steering wheel on the (lower) left sleeve.

You can choose to wear no insignia, or if you want to wear any you can choose to wear ATS slip-ons, ATS shoulder titles or just division patches.

Hope this helps a bit!

Pauline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 19:37 pm 

For service dress badging depends on what you are portraying. As already stated brass ATS shoulder titles. As for other badges then it depends on what branch of the ATS you want to be. Ack ack has already been covered. But there are other divisional badges and the regimental/corps brass badge worn above the left breast pocket depended upon which regiment/corps ATS members were attached to. Flaming bomb for those in ack ack command who were attached to Royal Artillery, but you could still be in ack ack command and attached to RASC or RAOC for example! Then there's trade badges. Confused yet? Sorry. I think what I am trying to say is (and this depends how accurate you want to be) what is your ATS character. It's easier to tell you about badging if you say what you want to be.
As for battledress, depends when in the war you are covering. Early BDs had only the cloth slip on shoulder titles (although these were sometimes cut down and sewn onto the epaulettes) and it would be unusual to see divisional patches. On later BDs that were actually tailored for women the epaulettes disappeared (although many ATS still wore converted mens BD blouses which retained the epaulettes) and in 1944 the cloth shoulder titles in ATS colours and written out in full were introduced. Typically home ATS members did not wear divisional patches on BDs but those serving in Europe post D-Day did. Sometimes no insignia was worn at all. Other than that only trade badges as Pauline states.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 20:47 pm 

Thanks for the help ladies, it's appreciated :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 21:51 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

ackackgirl wrote:
On later BDs that were actually tailored for women the epaulettes disappeared (although many ATS still wore converted mens BD blouses which retained the epaulettes)

My wife has an original Size 1 "Blouses Battle Dress Serge A.T.S" made by Debenhams, 1945 dated which has been made with epaulettes. So not all later blouses were made without epaulettes.

Paul.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:07 am 

I stand corrected. Of course officers BD retained epaulettes. I know a lot of the utility pattern ones lost them. Maybe it depended upon the maker.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:38 am 

Can anyone help.....Where will i find an O/R service dress jacket, i have trawled the internet with no luck, i can find officers, i understand there was a difference in the lower pockets? :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 18:55 pm 

Difficult. They come up occasionally on eBay, but the last ones I saw went for really silly prices. Soldier of Fortune were bringing one out, but they only seem to have the officers one on there at the moment. Khaki devil were also thinking about it, but not sure where they are with that. You could try them (web page or phone), otherwise it's trawling the events or keeping a close watch on eBay!!
There were different patterns of OR jacket, just as there were for officers. The earliest pattern is very difficult to find (and is the least flattering in style). I suggest you get a copy of Brayley and Ingram's book, British Womens' Uniforms of WW2. It's about £12 on Amazon and worth every penny. It will help when you are looking for uniforms.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:27 am 

Thank you :)