WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:22 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: War and Peace Revival
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 23:18 pm 

Group: 'To Victory, Together!' (Me, him and the dog)
Hi Girls.
I have started a thread on the Events section about the Home Front Area at the show this year but want to go into a little more detail here.
I always feel that one area of our hobby that is not represented enough is the role that many women at home played in doing their bit for the war effort. Too often, civilian women are portrayed in the promenading fashion and often inaccurately at that.

The list of jobs that both the WVS and Women's Institute members undertook in a voluntary capacity is very long and interesting in itself.

Not only that but they were not just middle aged and elderly women. They were from all ages and all walks of life.

If any of you would like to join us in portraying one of these simple roles, we can find you a covered and secure area to set up in and even arrange for tables for you to use. These displays may be as simple as sitting stitching bits of fur into an old coat,or setting up a wedding dress display as the ladies who ran a service fitting service women with a dress.
(Now who do I hear has lots of lovely wedding dresses.....TUPPENY.........)

Anyway, if you would like to join us (and leave the other half in his muddy/dusty hole during the day,) please get in touch.

Jude

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:44 am 

Group: 'To Victory, Together!' (Me, him and the dog)
There is an open day at Folkestone Racecourse on Saturday 11th May from 10am till 2pm.
I will be there, if any-one would like to come and see the new site or chat about displaying in the Home Front Area.
Phone or email the office to let them know you will be attending.
Jude