WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:38 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: QAIMNSR Scottish
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:37 am 

Group: VMD
Hello,

On a Scots only event in the Netherlands we want to re-enact QAIMNSR.
Did the scottish QAIMNSR wear any specific badged which showed the where Scottisch?

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: QAIMNSR Scottish
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 20:57 pm 

The simple answer is no. Nurses in QAIMNS, QAIMNSR and TANS were sent where they were needed. Scottish nurses simply joined the ranks of all nurses and were not part of solely Scottish units. Those serving in military hospitals in Scotland of course were primarily Scottish but not exclusively so. These ladies wore ward dress with no insignia other than rank pips, or service dress (when not working), which again only had rank pips and the QAIMNS grey and scarlet lanyard, collar dogs and cap badge of QAIMNS, QAIMNSR or TANS.
In theatre of war nurses were attached to military filed hospital, CCS, hospital trains or ships. These nurses were issued with battledress which they wore if working in the field. It bore their rank and the insignia of the army or division they were attached to but there were no exclusively Scottish nursing units. Depending upon where they were needed there may have been a greater Scottish contingent of nurses at any one time, but they were not identified as a Scottish unit. The only other identifying badge they wore was the cap badge to identify which branch of the nursing corps they belonged to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 22:33 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Hi Georgie,

thank you for your reply. The reason why Elise asked this is because we'll be attending a Scottish Only event in April. Though the organisation wants to see we portray Scottish nurses (with emblems, tartan etc.), not 'just' QAIMNS.

We know the units were all mixed and with the same insignia, so showing we portray Scottish girls will be a tough one. I was thinking of putting a little piece of tartan fabric behind the capbadge or on the sleeve. The 'Scottish thing' doesn't have to be an eyecatcher, it's just to please the organisation and to keep ourselves within the theme.

Hopefully anyone here has got a good idea for this.

x Pauline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 20:57 pm 

Hi Pauline,

That is a tough one, but I think your idea of a bit of tartan behind the cap badge is not unreasonable. The purists wouldn't like it, but to be fair quite a lot of service women wore unofficial badges and sweetheart brooches etc. so I think a small piece of tartan would be a good compromise. If you had time and were lucky you could look for nursing school badges from Scotland. Each nurse would have had a badge representing the school of nursing she trained at and as QAIMNSR all had civilian jobs before the war then some of them may have worn their Scottish badge - unofficially of course. But as time is short, the tartan option sounds more realistic.
Hope you enjoy the event. Some photos would be good.
Georgie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 22:16 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Hi Georgie,

great to have some help from you! The idea of sweatheart brooches/pins etc. is also very good! I'll keep my eyes open for Scottish pins in the meanwhile. Fortunately the event is still some weeks ahead of us, hopefully we can find something suitable.
I am aware not everyone will like the idea of a piece of tartan fabric. Though, these girls were (mostly?) all clan-members, being proud of their clan and tartan. So that way, it could be - perhaps - worn as a personal thing. As I've said before, it doesn't have to catch the eye, and I think the capbadge will cover most of it, so it won't be very noticable.

I'm looking forward to the event. Plans are there to build a hospital, with (so far) four Nurses and, of course, more men/patients. One of the lads can make very realistic wounds so we'll have some men to look after for. The pics will be posted, of course ;)

Thanks for the help!

x Pauline

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 13:56 pm 

Sounds great. Look forward to seeing your photos.
Have fun!

G x

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 17:55 pm 

Group: FFL LHG, The Other Allies LHG and WW2 in Colour
I'm thinking slightly laterally here. During thr war my wife's grandfather served with the Royal Artillery. His regiment was attached to a Scotish division and whilst not Scotish itself wore the Tam O'Shanter rather than the usual GS cap.

Whilst it may not have historically been the case, would it be within the bounds of possibility that a nursing unit attached to a Scotish formation also adopted this form of head dress? Worth a thought.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 15:36 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Hi Chasseur,

thanks for helping us. I'm not sure whether women wore the Tam O'Shanter, I've never seen it before. Perhaps someone else here knows more about that?
I believe there are a few of them in our group, so if we are sure enough we can wear them this might be a good option as well.

Pauline