WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 0:04 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: ATS uniform confusion
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 20:01 pm 

Group: 'Battle for Europe' and 'Follow the Sapper'
I've been looking at ATS stuff for my other half and came across the following picture:

This is apparently a bunch of ATS clerks but they seem to be wearing standard side caps with blackened badges and belts from a KD service dress. They're also not officers.

Anyone spread any light on the subject?

Also, they're in Trinidad. Could it be a local thing?

Portraying Frontline Royal Engineers

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 20:03 pm 

Group: home of the brave
:shock: :shock: i have not see pic befor cool :D
Hadeel
xxxx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 20:31 pm 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
I'm sure it has been posted here before, with similar questions asked about uniforms.

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 23:42 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Oh, God, pretty much everyone it seems
I doubt it is ATS - may be one of the Empire women's services. The Indian ATS Equivalent - the WAAC (I) - wore KD side caps, for example.

NATIVE: Those are the sacred pyramids where my ancestors are buried.
BRITISH OFFICER: Cool. There any kinda zombie curse or anything we should know about? I mean, I want to pillage'em, but I don't want to cause no problems.
NATIVE: Our people lie merely asleep in their graves, waiting to shriek forth and bring agonising death to any who would dare disturb their peace.
BRITISH OFFICER: Be serious.
NATIVE: ...in truth the curse is probably apocryphal.
BRITISH OFFICER: Wicked. Carter, bust out the Gatling guns! I want to be revered as a God by teatime.

True story

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 0:32 am 

It's in IWM as ATS, plus they're wearing what looks like the ATS lanyard and have should slides, were these things worn by the other services?

I have little to no knowledge about female units/kit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:24 am 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Can't tell about the cap badge or lanyards, photo pixelates too much, but, the cap badges are thick so it's a possibility they are bakalite which would account for the colour.

It doesn't appear they are wearing ATS cloth shoulder titles though, too narrow and can't see any lettering on the woman's shoulder title in the front row, second from right.

Paul.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 19:42 pm 

Chaps, yes they are definitely ATS. Photo taken in Port of Spain, Trinidad in 1945 (hence bakelite cap badges). The uniform is a variation on the 'European' KD.
I've tried to add some other images but for some reason they won't upload.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 19:11 pm 

OK this is my 3rd attempt to upload these photos I've finally got it to work. Trinidadian ATS photos. The ladies on parade are wearing SD caps with brass badges. In the mess photo you can just make out shoulder titles and lanyards. There were definitely ATS ladies in Trinidad in WW2. There are two of them buried at the war cemetery in Port of Spain.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 21:31 pm 

They're really good pictures. Would there have been occasion for an ATS to wear the green FS cap in Europe?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 13:42 pm 

Do you mean the same as men were issued with? If so then no. ATS wore either their SD cap or the general service (dustbin lid) khaki cap, but not the green/khaki FS cap. They may have worn their own FS (brown, beach and green) cap unofficially as this was private purchase. Similarly if they were serving with the RA in ackack command (quite a number of these ladies went to Europe following D-Day) then they could also wear the RA FS cap, but again this was unofficial and private purchase, but worn with fierce pride by the gunner girls. The FS caps were generally worn when off duty as they were not officially part of their uniform, but I have seen photographs of ATS wearing them while at work too.