WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 20:22 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Our QAIMNS(R) Group
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 15:28 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: VMD
Hiya,

last year a friend and I started an QAIMNS(R) group, portraying nurses in N/W-Europe during the end of the war. We are currently with four girls and hopefully still growing. We have started our own blog (which is in Dutch, sorry!) with photos, stories and our agenda. The are not many things posted yet, but there is a beginning.

http://www.thebritishnurses.wordpress.com

Hopefully we can cooperate with other groups in the future!

Pauline

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Our QAIMNS(R) Group
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 16:27 pm 

Group: Tommy and Yankee
Lovely!
Nice photos.

I was interested in QAIMNS reenactment before I decided to do ATS impression.
It was really difficult for me to find any materials and information... and what about uniform! It was unbelievable...
I used to wear a BD... male pattern unfortunately...
so, I decided to do ATS impression because I thought it would be much easier to find WW2... it is easier but not too much :D
but why I am writing it...
after quite a long time in reenactment I have found really amazing thing on ebay! Original QAIMNS field dress with detachable sleeves...
It has a lovely label which says that it is from 1944.

Here are some photos:

I hope we will me on some ww2 event;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 16:28 pm 

Pauline, are you in some other reenactment group?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 16:32 pm 

Hehe, I have another question...
How are you doing this hairstyle, girls?? it looks really good!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 16:59 pm 

Group: 'Battle for Europe' and 'Follow the Sapper'
There's a girl in our group that does QAIMNS, she's got quite a bit of kit. I'm sure she'd be up for displaying with you if you do any shows in the Uk

Portraying Frontline Royal Engineers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 17:28 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Hi Blanka,

you look great in your dress! Do you also have a tippet with it? I am still looking for one, but haven't seen any for sale so far...
We normally wear men's pattern BD, but for this event I wanted to wear my ATS BD as I have bought it a while ago and hadn't had the chance to wear it.
There isn't much information about the QAIMNS at all! We have got quite a few books about the QAIMNS, but there still are a lot of things we don't know for sure/not at all. Photos are also very hard to find.

We are part of VMD (Vereniging Militair Depot). Though I have got quite a few ATS (and FANY) uniforms, which I still want to wear. We have chosen for QAIMNS as in the Netherlands, ATS is the most seen impression. We wanted to do something else, and since a member of our club does a RAMC impression (with fieldhospital) the idea of QAIMNS nurses was being born. So far this is the only group I am attached to.
Are you in a group?

Ha, the hairdo. Anne has taught me how to do it. She has made a YT film about it a few years ago, I'll see if I can find it.
On our blog is one photo of me wearing a helmet. There I have slightly changed the hairdo so the front would be higher. This I have seen on a lot of original photos, with nurses wearing their helmets on the back of their head (which isn't very comfortable!).
You do need a sort of roll to put your hair though. Here you can see the one we use:
http://www.zenner.nl/collectie/#/overig ... 3/knotrol/
At the moment I have got a thicker one, to make my hair look bigger.

x

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 17:36 pm 
 WWW  Profile

JimmyFilth wrote:
There's a girl in our group that does QAIMNS, she's got quite a bit of kit. I'm sure she'd be up for displaying with you if you do any shows in the Uk

Do you mean Cat, or are there other girls out there doing QAIMNS? ;)
I'd love to do shows in the UK, though I'm a student and time and money are a bit of a problem...
We are definitely doing W&P Revival, perhaps we can meet you there?

Btw, Blanka - the photo of Elise and I was made last year, when I still used a P49 BD jacket. I have now got an P40 Austerity, which has been modified for an officer. A friend has made printed QAIMNS shouldertitles and 2nd Army patches. We have made this photo last Sunday, when we came back from the event we went to. Normally I wear men's trouwers with the jacket, but I was too lazy to put them on!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 18:20 pm 

Thank you for your reply!

And thank you for the help with the hairdo (unfortunately, there was no link in the PM;)) but thanks for the "knotrol" tip.
In fact, I was already thinking about such things but I was never sure if it really works...

About my dress... I haven't got a red tippet as the tippet was worn with grey dress which was worn in hospitals. It is longer and has long sleeves. I have got one as well (it is St John's Ambulance hospital dress but looks same)... but I didn't want to buy red tippet as it is quite expensive and I don't see any possibility to wear this kind of uniform without building whole WW2 hospital :D
Replica of the tippet is made by Solomon Adler but I don't know the quality.
But it could be worn as well with white apron and white collar which could be found much more easily...

I have read Sisters in Arms and it is absolutely perfect book! Really. I highly recommend it.

I like ATS impression as there is a lot of things to collect:) I really don't know if I could buy some WW2 QAIMNS militaria if my only source is ebay.co.uk :) there is hardly ever something for ATS.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 18:55 pm 

Group: 'Battle for Europe' and 'Follow the Sapper'
I didn't think Cat did it anymore?? I meant Daisy, who,s still part of our group and displayed with us at W&P last year. :)

Portraying Frontline Royal Engineers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 19:10 pm 

Group: FFL LHG, The Other Allies LHG and WW2 in Colour
Liking your website and great pictures. It's good to see more QAIMNS out there. My Wife is in the process of outring together her impression and is finding it equally difficult. If I may be a bit if a rivet counter though, I believe the shoulder titles did not appear until very late in the war and were rarely seen on battledress. Equally the crimson backed pips. Allowing for a little artistic license though the shoulder titles shiuld read Q.A.I.M.N.S.(R) as your cap badges are reserves.

Pedant head off.

Keep up the good work. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 20:02 pm 
 WWW  Profile

JimmyFilth wrote:
I didn't think Cat did it anymore?? I meant Daisy, who,s still part of our group and displayed with us at W&P last year. :)

Oh, that's a pity! Last time we've had contact was last summer... Is Daisy on here/FB? I'd love to get in touch with her!

Thanks for the comment, Chasseur. It is indeed a very difficult impression. Finding girls who are interested in reenactment are very rare, unfortunately. Especially girls who are really interested, not just because they want to be with the boyfriend/husband. Luckily there are some great girls, who are really interested.

We know about the QAIMNS shoulder titles. We have decided to wear them to make ourself a bit more recognisable. Also, we are portraying nurses in N/W-Europe/the Netherlands. The Allies didn't advance into the Netherlands before shortly before the end of the war. I've never seen or heard about Reserve shoulder titles. I do know some nurses embroidered a R onto the embroided titles. What can you tell me about them?

Thanks for the advice! ;)