WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 13:20 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 18:12 pm 

Group: Tommy and Yankee
Hello

I was thinking about insignia for ATS driver
I have collected a lot of photos. But I am still not quite sure.
From the photos I think I should buy:

- ATS lanyard

- these shoulder titles: http://www.clients.milwebmall.net/catal ... mg4831.jpg
but I am not pretty sure... even ATS wore these? If they were any special ATS shoulder titles, please tell me... I have also seen some tunics without shoulder title but there were usually some patches which represents some special area or unit...
or tunic without anyhting

- and the qualification badge for the driver - the wheel

- and what about a badge above the left breast pocket? I was thinking about RAOC badge. Is it right?

Thank you!

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 20:08 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: VMD
Hi Blanka,

what sort of tunic would you like to wear; SD of BD?
If you want to use a BD tunic I would only do a driver qualification badge, but if you want to use a SD tunic I would definitely add a lanyard and badge above the pocket.
The "Women's Transport Service" titles you posted were worn by ATS personnel who used to be with the FANY. These were only handed out to FANY personnel joining the ATS before end 1941 (correct me if I'm wrong).
So far, I have only seen those titles being worn on the Service Dress.

Hope this helps!

Pauline

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 20:50 pm 

Thanks a lot, Pauline!
That's exactly what I need.
I want to get insignia for my SD tunic ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 13:04 pm 

On SD jacket RAOC (collar badge not cap badge) will be ideal for above the left pocket. As already said ATS lanyard also. I agree with Pauline, only those who were with FANY before the end of '41 should wear the "Women's Transport Service" titles. I'd be tempted not to wear these as it leaves your options open. You can also add command patches. Lots of choices here. RAOC were attached to every command in the UK (and overseas if you want to depict a post D-day driver in Europe).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 15:22 pm 

And what badge is more suitable? RAOC or RASC?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 19:39 pm 

Either. The ATS served with both. Probably more of them with RASC but you wouldn't be wrong with RAOC either.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 20:16 pm 

Thanks a lot, girls!
I have already find some patches and I am going to order them.
Now I don't know about my BD tunic as I have already bought it with lovely Royal Artillery insignia.
Well, maybe I will be Ack Ack girl in BD and driver in SD...
as I don't want to put them off as it looks really good.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 22:30 pm 

Are your RA insignia the red bow and arrow ack ack command badges? If so that is the command rather than actually Royal Artillery. Anti-aircraft gunners (RA) were part of this command but so were RAOC, RASC units (including drivers) and other branches of the army just as they would have been if part of Eastern Command, or Northern, Middle East or BAoR even. So, if this is the case, and I suspect this is what you mean, you can wear those patches on your SD as well if you wish.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:03 am 

Thank you for the helpful piece of information!
I just want to be sure that I understand it well. So with this kind of insignia it means that the ATS girl who wore it was just attached to some RA unit but for example as a driver, clerk or anything else?
This is the BD tunic:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 15:30 pm 

Not exactly,
That insignia is for anti-aircraft (ackack) command. Royal Artillery anti-aircraft batteries were attached to ackack command. So were other units that were necessary for the operation of the batteries such as RAOC (supply of ammunition), RASC (supply of just about everything from blankets and food to trucks!), RAMC etc. So, you don't have to be a gunner with the RA to wear the insignia, you could be a driver in RAOC or RASC. This would fit better with the ATS lanyard (which should be worn on the left). ATS ladies attached directly to RA ackack batteries were more likely to wear the white RA lanyard (worn on the right shoulder). This lanyard was worn with pride by ATS gunners so was much sought after. RAOC and RASC drivers would not have worn the white lanyard but the normal ATS one.
Having said all this the RA also had drivers so really the choice is yours.
Does this make sense? Or have I confused you more. Its really a matter of understanding that the ackack insginia did not represent the Royal Artillery but an command branch of the army under which were RA units and other army corps units and regiments.
I'll dig some stuff out and pm you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 16:28 pm 

:) Thank you a lot!
You haven't confused me at all. Thanks for nice explanation.
I haven't access to many sources of information. I have only Ingram's book (where isn't much about units, commands, etc.) and Girls in Khaki...
Unfortunately, there is no source in my native language, so I was a bit lost in all this "terminology" but now I am getting into it!
But I will be grateful for any piece of information;)

For example I want to find more information about ATS girls in Europe... Boys from our group usually represent troops in France, Netherlands or Belgium, so I want to know if I have my place there as well;)

And one another question - there were two types of ATS lanyard? The one I have on the photo and this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-WWII-F-A- ... 1c2d469fa8 ?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 20:37 pm 

Lanyards - Both are correct. It's up to you which you use.

http://www.ATSRemembered.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk is a really good web site for info on ATS with lots of useful links.

ATS definitely served in Europe following D-Day. In fact they landed quite soon after and took up similar roles to those they carried out in the UK including with anti-aircraft batteries and as drivers. They served in all the places you mention and also in Germany and other Nazi Occupied countries. By 1946 quite a lot of ATS had been or were being demobbed, but a number remained with BAOR (British Army of the Rhine).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 21:16 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: pegasusww2displays. the garrison 69th field
Hello Blanka
One thing noone has mentioned yet is the unofficial designation that ATS drivers did was the cap strap over the top of the head. Even done by princes Elizebeth ( future queen).
Some reproduction photos that we did last year.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 20:31 pm 

Good point! We forgot that one. Nice photos by the way