WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 19:44 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Womens fashion
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 20:21 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: AFRA, portray- RA AA gunner, 9th AF pilot
Hi guys and girls!

So the fiancé has finally decided that she will attend a couple of events this year and would like to get into 'character'... Only problem... I'm really not clued up on civvy clothing!

She has seen a few outfits after googling and came across some with trousers. Not smart ones, but more 'casual'. I understand dresses were more popular, but she would prefer trousers if she can get away with it!!

I don't want to get it mixed up and look like a 1943 USAAF pilot has a 1950's girl on his arm, so can someone help?

We're trousers worn? If so, does anyone have any decent examples, maybe even pictures of them in their reenacting clobber??

Cheers

Adrian

Lance Bombardier Bryce R. Hollis 89 Bty, 35th LAA RA. Captured by Japanese on Java 8/3/42

1st Lt Delmore (Del) Meier, 314th TS, 31s TG, 9th USAAF. Flying C-47's from RAF Grove

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Womens fashion
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 15:03 pm 

She could be a land girl, but dresses and seamed stockings look much better! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 15:06 pm 
1000+ Poster

Stephec wrote:
She could be a land girl, but dresses and seamed stockings look much better! :)

Yes, I did suggest the Land Girl... and i totally agree that dresses and stockings look better!

Just trying to get ideas!

Lance Bombardier Bryce R. Hollis 89 Bty, 35th LAA RA. Captured by Japanese on Java 8/3/42

1st Lt Delmore (Del) Meier, 314th TS, 31s TG, 9th USAAF. Flying C-47's from RAF Grove

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 15:34 pm 

Group: 'Battle for Europe' and 'Follow the Sapper'
Look up a shop called lawdy momma's. It's in Essex but the lady that owns it really knows her stuff.

My nan came to war and peace recently and I made note of what she told me as she was 16 when the war started. Denim is a big no and she said that even then fur was an 'old person' thing. That's just one opinion though. I'll ask my other half when she gets in from work

Portraying Frontline Royal Engineers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 15:48 pm 
1000+ Poster

JimmyFilth wrote:
Look up a shop called lawdy momma's. It's in Essex but the lady that owns it really knows her stuff.

My nan came to war and peace recently and I made note of what she told me as she was 16 when the war started. Denim is a big no and she said that even then fur was an 'old person' thing. That's just one opinion though. I'll ask my other half when she gets in from work

Cheers James,

We have found an 'outfit' that she really likes, and I have shown it to my Nan. She said it looks pretty good for the wartime period, even though it has the trousers, so it's good news so far...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 16:21 pm 

Group: 39-45 Living History
She could get Swing pants and a Satin blousen top with a jacket - I wear this when I'm not wearing ATS Battledress or wearing teadresses with seamed stockings lol :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 16:37 pm 
1000+ Poster

PernicketyCastle wrote:
She could get Swing pants and a Satin blousen top with a jacket - I wear this when I'm not wearing ATS Battledress or wearing teadresses with seamed stockings lol :-)

Kimberly,

That's exactly what she wanted.... The outfit is a white and pink blouse, with black swing pants with spots on....

What footwear? Slight heels?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 23:35 pm 

Group: 'To Victory, Together!' (Me, him and the dog)
Ok Adrian.
I am going to be brutally honest here.
It is good that your fiance has shown an interest in your hobby, but please ask her to put those swing pants and satin blouse in the wardrobe to save for the dances in the evenings.
As you used the word 'event' I am assuming you mean daytime WW2 re-enacting and this sort of outfit does not really have a place there.
Trousers were very much work wear during the war and if she is out with you, she certainly would be trying to look her best, which in civilian shape would most certainly mean either a dress and coat or a 2 piece skirt suit with pretty blouse or jumper under the jacket.
Adhollis88 wrote:
but she would prefer trousers if she can get away with it!!
That's exactly what she wanted..
Adrian

Surely this is not the point at all.
If you are going to do it , please do it properly. The civilian scene is now awash with exactly that, re-enactors dressing in what they want, be it for comfort, ease of dressing or just to look as glam as poss. rather than wearing what they should wear if they are playing the part of a British woman in WW2. As has been said before, all this is doing is distorting history out of all proportion.
It doesn't have to cost a fortune and she doesn't have to wear stockings. The wrong stockings sometimes just spoil a perfectly good outfit.
If she can get her hair right, no hat is neccessary. If she wants to wear one,stay away from those pillbox styles with net. Nothing like wartime hats which were in the main, wool felt,and quite large, even trilby shaped, worn low over one eye.
Shoes need to have rounded not pointed toes, no peeps at the end and a low heel, up to about 2" and the heels as little shaped as possible. Brogues are also a good bet. The type that my mum would describe as stout walking shoes. Either styles are not too hard to find as there are quite a few in the shops now.
Best thing to do is let her research the look herself. The only way to do this is to look at original photos, not pictures of re-enactors or items of clothing for sale. There are thousands on the net, of real women of the time.
Then when she has the right image in her head, that's the time to go off and source the clothes.
Good luck with it.
Jude

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:08 am 

Group: Normandy44
Jude, thanks for that info, I did ask on the civillian thread a question quite simular yesterday! That helps a lot.

Cheers
Pete

Visit our website... http://www.n44.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:11 am 
1000+ Poster

utilityjude wrote:
Ok Adrian.
I am going to be brutally honest here.
It is good that your fiance has shown an interest in your hobby, but please ask her to put those swing pants and satin blouse in the wardrobe to save for the dances in the evenings.
As you used the word 'event' I am assuming you mean daytime WW2 re-enacting and this sort of outfit does not really have a place there.
Trousers were very much work wear during the war and if she is out with you, she certainly would be trying to look her best, which in civilian shape would most certainly mean either a dress and coat or a 2 piece skirt suit with pretty blouse or jumper under the jacket.
Adhollis88 wrote:
but she would prefer trousers if she can get away with it!!
That's exactly what she wanted..
Adrian

Surely this is not the point at all.
If you are going to do it , please do it properly. The civilian scene is now awash with exactly that, re-enactors dressing in what they want, be it for comfort, ease of dressing or just to look as glam as poss. rather than wearing what they should wear if they are playing the part of a British woman in WW2. As has been said before, all this is doing is distorting history out of all proportion.
It doesn't have to cost a fortune and she doesn't have to wear stockings. The wrong stockings sometimes just spoil a perfectly good outfit.
If she can get her hair right, no hat is neccessary. If she wants to wear one,stay away from those pillbox styles with net. Nothing like wartime hats which were in the main, wool felt,and quite large, even trilby shaped, worn low over one eye.
Shoes need to have rounded not pointed toes, no peeps at the end and a low heel, up to about 2" and the heels as little shaped as possible. Brogues are also a good bet. The type that my mum would describe as stout walking shoes. Either styles are not too hard to find as there are quite a few in the shops now.
Best thing to do is let her research the look herself. The only way to do this is to look at original photos, not pictures of re-enactors or items of clothing for sale. There are thousands on the net, of real women of the time.
Then when she has the right image in her head, that's the time to go off and source the clothes.
Good luck with it.
Jude

Hi Jude,

Thank you for the information. It has been really helpful!

It wasn't that we were not trying to do it properly, and just 'dressing up', I take the hobby very seriously, and try to get as much information as possible before putting something together.

Part of the fact is that my fiance has tattoos too, so if she is wearing dresses etc, no doubt someone will then moan that they wouldn't have had tattoos!

My partner really doesn't want to go down the uniform route either, so just exploring the options.

I did show my grandparents the picture of the outfit I have seen, and they agreed that women did wear things similar to it out and about...

I will be portraying my Uncle Del this year, who was a USAAF pilot. What was interesting is that my grandfather said his sister Barbara, wore similar outfits (Blouse and trousers) and she eventually married my uncle Del!

So I guess the outfit is possible, just not very common...

Adrian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 23:00 pm 

Group: 'To Victory, Together!' (Me, him and the dog)
Thing is though, by using the phrase 'If she can get away with it' this sort of implies that you really know it isn't right.
In my early days as a displaying re-enactor, I sometimes had to resort to trousers like this with a long sleeved original blouse because of the need to cover up. Not that I have any tatts, but for the fact that I could have put my health seriously at risk from strong sunshine.I made my own trousers from original fabric to a pyjama pattern. I knew it wasn't right and they were never worn again once I had managed to find long sleeved garments (like hen's teeth in thin summer weight fabric as this would mean far too much unneccessary waste of fabric) and cotton lisle or darker silk stockings that gave my legs enough protection. (Actually, they probably would cover tatoos quite well too, they do my varicouse veins now :lol: )
I cring if I come across any photos from these days but had to accept, that at that time, on blistering hot days, it was my only option.

What would your fiance be aiming to portray?
Yes women did wear trousers and to swish your legs out of an expensive vintage 30's cars in those lovely flowing pants looks very much the part. As does playing on the beach in your casual trews.
If it is a working girl in a dirty environment, then fine, but let her carry a paint pot and brush, or tools and a lunchbox to show she is at work.
But if she wants to portray a British lass out with her American serviceman sweetheart, chose a dress or skirt instead. .

If it had been a choice for me then of looking like a wartime lass but taking flack for tattooes or looking like I was a 50's or rockabilly lass I would certainly have gone with the former.
There has been threads on here about good stuff to cover up tattoes, which may open up other avenues for your fiance.
And there are a lot of excellent female re-enactors with tattoes who may be able to help with advice.
Jude

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 23:03 pm 
1000+ Poster

Thanks Jude,

It's great info and really do appreciate it..

I've never really looked into civilian, and avoiding the rockabilly look (as much as I like that) is what I was aiming for!

Cheers

Adrian