WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:35 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 21:34 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
Hi Guys.

My girlfriend is putting together an NFS female impression, her grandmother was in the NFS during the war. She was a fire watcher.

Uniform

She is obviously aware of the tunic and skirt/trousers that were commonly worn. However, she has heard stories of women being issued BD uniforms, obviously in NFS colours/style. She wanted to know, how commonly were these used? Also, would it be more approriate for beats on the street and the tunic obviously worn as best? Fonally, would anybody have the pattern that would have been used?

She has a picture of her grandmother with her colleagues and has noticed that the styles of the tunic also differ. How common was this? Why did this occur?

Equipment

We are aware obviously that there was the helmet. We were wondering what was the other common equipment used? What type of bags? What were in it? What was the colour of bag, if blancoed ect.

Also, if anyone can direct us to a good site that often stocks NFS equipment/uniform, notably a side cap, we would be very grateful. We keep our eyes on ebay but obviously things just oddly crop up. Also any other useful information would be appreciated, especially as to why certain things may have been used.

Thanks alot guys.
Joe and Laura (Girlfriend :))

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 18:16 pm 

Group: RNRLHG
This site may be useful?... http://www.wwiifire.co.uk/Womens%20Service.htm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 18:34 pm 
1000+ Poster

Yes we've looked at that site before and have been directed there. We're trying to contact the group. But thanks alot anyway. :)

Joe.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 20:11 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Forward To Victory
Hi Joe and Laura

You mention Fire watcher, Joe........to my understanding Fire Watchers were NOT part of NFS/AFS but rota'd unpaid (volunteer !!?)personel of industrial premises which until 1941 the ARP warden service did not have the right of entry to (unlike fire service), and thus locked up and un-manned. This service was raised to be on hand and armed with issued equipment of a tin hat and stirrup pump, would attempt to control small fires/ incendiaries before calling NFS.

Re 'kit' carried, certainly a gas mask (military type)non blanco'd ( as fire women were not expected to fight fires they were not issued with heavy belt, axe and lifeline)

AFS/NFS sidecap, Hmm, yes they do come up very occasionally, fire women were also issued with a 'ski' type cap.

As a member of this group, if I can be of any more help please get in touch, and i'll maybe's be able to put you in touch with someone with greater knowledge than me (not difficult that one :lol: )

All the best

Andy

Sussex Home Guard and Civilian LDV

ARP/Civil Defence

AFS
NFS
(NFS overseas, work in progress)

Tommy, WW1 ........work in progress

Never forgetting the sacrifices made, by many, so's I can live the way I do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 20:37 pm 
1000+ Poster

Thanks Andy. Thats useful I'll pass it on.

As to the frewatcher thing, I am aware of this. It has been mentioned. However my girlfriend is adament that her grandmother's documents state that she was a firewatcher of some kind. I personally haven't seen them so I can not confirm that, just passing on the inquiries of my girlfriend so don't shoo the messenger! lol. I'll see if I can get her to dig them out again.

But the other info is helpful. Thanks. Would any woman have opted for like a bag to carry, like one of those shoulder ones I often see and I think were issued to like the WRAF? I'll admit, my knowledge on female uniforms is about as good as my knowledge on what Cameron has for breakfast. lol. JUst putting the question out there.

Thanks alot though.
Joe.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 20:48 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: TommyAtkins Society
Re 'firewatchers', in early days or WW2 we got two shillings and six pence per night for firewatching, we worked at the local tech collage, then on munitions, we youngsters could not get enough at that price, doing it for the older married folk....also I got twelve shillings and six pence per week so the extra was great. But truely civvies NOT AFS.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 20:28 pm 
4000+ Poster

BarceB711 wrote:
Re 'firewatchers', in early days or WW2 we got two shillings and six pence per night for firewatching, we worked at the local tech collage, then on munitions, we youngsters could not get enough at that price, doing it for the older married folk....also I got twelve shillings and six pence per week so the extra was great. But truely civvies NOT AFS.

That was a reasonable amount of money in those days, BarceB :)

ARP/Civil Defence

AFS
NFS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 20:06 pm 
4000+ Poster

thuhai5 wrote:

SPAM, SPAM, SPAM. :evil: :x :x

ARP/Civil Defence

AFS
NFS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 21:01 pm 

Joe,
With respect to uniform, Della Rebours can make one for your girlfriend. She has original pattern books and can make the ski cap (most often worn by NFS and AFS ladies) or the side cap. The uniform would not be cheap compared to mass produced repros but it would be tailor made to fit and more importantly, correct. If you put her name in google you should be able to get an email for her, if not pm me and I can help.
BDs. Yes they did wear them if they were working as part of the fire team (rather than switch board or other office work). They often wore the service dress jacket with slacks (or BD trousers). As for different types of jacket, I'm not sure on this. It might be that you are seeing photos with a mixture of NFS and CD personnel. The uniforms were similar but the jackets different. Also the NFS jacket could be worn completely buttoned up or with the collar open. Without seeing the photos I couldn't be sure.
Bag, hmmm don't know. I would just go with a gas mask bag without the gas mask.....shock horror!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:06 am 
1000+ Poster

Thanks alot! Thats a great help! Will begin some hunting. :)