WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 23:39 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: US Army Medic HELP!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:46 am 

I am pulling together a US Army Medic uniform. Struggling a bit and would appreciate your help as I want to be up and running for August 12th.

I have
a pair of the green overalls
a green overshirt with red cross badge on sleeve
green beanie hat
webbing belt with dressing pouch

Struggling with shoes/boots. Have been told to get desert boots but when I look at these there are so many looks. There are suede boot/shoes with a lowish top and a lightweight sole and there are the desert boots on Soldiers of Fortune which look more like a sand coloured suede trainer sort of boot.

Any help appreciated also are there any other items I can be looking out for? Bags/badges etc?
Cheers!

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: US Army Medic HELP!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:44 am 
 WWW  Profile

Group: E Co. 2 Batt, 16th Regt. 1st Infantry Division
Your unit's kit list may differ, so this is just general advice:

You mention a green overshirt and coveralls... Are these the HBT (Herringbone Twill cotton) type? If so, you would wear either the shirt and matching trousers, or the one-piece coveralls.
You'd also have the option of an HBT cap or a Daisy Mae hat.

- Nurses' insignia (2nd Lt. rank bar and Caduceus badge with an 'N').
One goes on the left collar, the other on the right (can't immediately recall which is which, though - I think the rank is on your right).

- White cotton t-shirt, worn under the HBTs.

- Tankers Jacket or M41 Jacket for early/mid war, with an M43 jacket for later war.

- WAC leggings (these are slightly shorter than normal ones and have one less hook on them)

- WAC Field Boots are the ideal footwear, but due to the difficulty in finding these in a suitable size (and at affordable prices) some units allow the russet brown WAC service shoes or Corcoran style jumpboots. The former are only worn with your WAC leggings.

- Canteen set (cover, water bottle and mug) for your belt. Always have water to hand.

- Meat cans and KFS (knife, fork & spoon set).

- Musette Bag with shoulder strap, or Lightweight Gas Mask Bag.

- M1 Helmet, if you're going to be *anywhere* around front lines, or within artillery range. Also useful for washing, doing your hair, shopping basket, cooking pot and 100 other things!!

- Sleeping bag.

Once you have all this lot, then you can start filling up on the other items, like Clkass A uniform and all the personal kit, wash roll, towels, books, cigarettes etc...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:02 am 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
What size boots?

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:14 am 

Miss Spitfire - Size 4 and a half to 5 in a normal shoe/boot.

Ttaskmaster - Why oh why did I decide to go down yet another uniform route !!! Thought it might be a fairly easy option for a US uniform.

Thank you very much for the detailed information. I think I may have been being fed a bit of duff info along the way so it is good to have such a detailed list.

I have the HBT cotton overalls and had intended to wear the overshirt over these. Would that never happen? No time or money to get trousers at this stage!

Have got lace up leggings but they may be the ordinary ones with an extra hook.

Have got some CC41 brown flat shoes (look identical to the WAC shoes I have looked at on line) which I wear with my Home Guard (Auxilliery) uniform. Would these do? They still cripple me but what the heck we have to suffer for our art! I had been told to just get some suede desert shoe/boots but these are a far cry from the militarty type of desert boot.

The M1 helmet sounds useful and a definite must have :-)

Do you have a link to any site which I could look at which would have pictures of the type of things you are referring to? I have tried to find some photographs of US Medics but with little success.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:42 am 
Forum Legend

Bugger, have a pair of 7's that could have sent your way.

Is it imperative that you get sorted for Aug 12th? What's the scenario? Could you do civilian nurse?

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:48 am 
 WWW  Profile

Muppet81 wrote:
Ttaskmaster - Why oh why did I decide to go down yet another uniform route !!! Thought it might be a fairly easy option for a US uniform.

"Call me Snake...."

The basic 'stand-up' kit *is* easy and straightforward. Plus you have choices of outfit (thought girls love that?).
Footwear, undershirt, pants and top, hat, legings, belt kit and you're done.
The rest is stuff you can worry about and collect as you go along. My own other half is a newbie ANC with the 50th Field Hospital and she's still only got the basics. We're working on the rest.

Gimme a bit and I'll sort you a full list of kit, split into Must Have, Could Do With and Would Be Nice...

Also, don't forget that kit would have changed as the war went on.
If in doubt, get the early stuff. That way you're covered for early war events and could quite feasibly been using that same kit later on in the war.

You *may* have worn the shirt under the HBT coveralls, but not that likely and only in cold weather if you didn't have one of the various styles of sweater. You would also have had a wool shirt you could choose to wear under it instead. It's a female version of what the blokes wear, but the officer's version (you're a Lieutenant, don't forget).
Now, I'm no expert on ANCs, but HBT were generally issued to troops to wear over the top of their woollen uniform, to protect it. Sometimes it was worn as a lightweight alternative, but nowhere near as commonly as re-enactors seem to portray.

However, bear also in mind that HBT is a very close weave material and can often be quite hot. Lots of the ANCs in our group opt just for the plain white undershirt (t-shirt).

How many hooks are on your leggings?
See links below for examples...

See here for the various footwear:
http://www.blitzkriegbaby.de/anc/anc3e.htm

If your CC41s are like any of those, then they're probably acceptable.

I have no idea why you'd go for suede desert boots...
Possibly because they look vaguely similar to GI Roughout boots, but there are perfectly good repros of these available (and they'd only be a very last resort).

Muppet81 wrote:
Do you have a link to any site which I could look at which would have pictures of the type of things you are referring to? I have tried to find some photographs of US Medics but with little success.

Medics?
No.
ANC? Yes!!
You're a Nurse. Medics are the unlucky, unarmed guys who get to follow us dogfaced Infantry around and patch us up when we foul up. :wink: :D

Links:
http://www.50thfieldhospital.co.uk/
http://www.blitzkriegbaby.de/anc/anc.htm

And this one is pretty much THE WW2 medical resource site and has many, many pages worth browsing, with photos and articles all over the place:
http://www.med-dept.com/anc.php

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:48 am 
 WWW  Profile

Miss Spitfire wrote:
Bugger, have a pair of 7's that could have sent your way.

Kate - Are these modern size 7s?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:09 pm 
Forum Legend

Yep.

Women's Navy Great Coat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:22 pm 

Pity! Size 7 would drown me.

This is brilliant! I am learning loads.

Have always done British uniforms but want to do US for Yanks are Back In Saddleworth event, hence August 12th. None of my usual crowd have any interest in US so no one to help me.

Have looked on Soldiers of Fortune for HBT pants but they are out of stock on my size. Need their 32" size. Any ideas of any other source? Sounds like with those as instead of HBT coverall I would be sorted for the basic kit you list. Forgot to mention earlier but I have got a water bottle too. Doubt any lapel insignia would be worn on the top? Or would it?

At least I would feel I could go along and throw myself on the mercy of the nurses who always go to the event and see if they would help me look for other bits of kit on the stalls there. It is so easy to spend a fortune and get it horribly wrong!

If I can't get any pants, looks like a no go for this year. Shame!

Would love to see the full list of kit when you get the time.

Have just had a look at the links you gave me. Will spend time having a really good look at them later. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:34 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Great source of women's repro kit (and at a reasonable price) is Peter de Brabender's shop, The Quartermaster Inspector:
http://qmi-shop.be/

They do repro kit, but it's good hardy stuff. Shoes as well!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:52 pm 
Forum Legend

I got mine from there, shame you're not a hefty lass or I'd lend you my two piece HBT. Lol!

Hope you get sorted.

Women's Navy Great Coat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 13:28 pm 

Thanks for the offer Miss Spitfire. I must start to eat more. lol!
They have the next size up - 34" perhaps I could get them altered.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 13:30 pm 
Forum Legend

I bought a size up and they're massive. I ended up taking the waistband off and taking them in. Fairly easy job. I think his sizes run big.

K

Women's Navy Great Coat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:46 am 

Just a thank you to all on here who gave me so much valuable assistance in pulling together my ANC outfit for the Yanks Are Back In Saddleworth event this weekend.

I am now as sorted as I am likely to get at this stage and have done plenty of reading so I feel I understand much more about the role of my adopted character and can treat her with the respect and admiration she deserves.

My original shirt with a white t-shirt

HBT Pants from Soldiers of Fortune seem OK. Will look for originals when opportunity and time permit and can always sell on repros.

original gaiters (probably mens but all I could get)

Daisy Mae

Pistol belt with water bottle and dressing pouch

Caduceus and rank pins acquired. Must get a dogtag made over the weekend.

Musette bag (repro at this stage) bought and pickling in cold tea at the moment to age it

Shoes sadly the slightly missing link as using brown brogues which will cripple me if I wear them for 2 days. Does anyone have experience of roughout boots on sale at Epic and SOF? Might have to invest but probably not for this weekend.

Would love an M43 jacket and liner as they look great to wear anytime. Perhaps could leave hints for OH in December. Will look round at events in case I should spot an original.

Any last minute hints or tips?