WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 23:46 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Maren uniform
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:10 am 

I am trying to help my daughter put together a Maren uniform and wondered if anybody on the forum may be able to provide any guidance.

From what I understand Maren officers wore WRNS uniform without any reference to any Royal Marine attachment. I am assuming that this would also apply to petty officers. For other ranks I believe that it was only the red patch and badge, in place of the cap tally, that differentiated the Maren from the Wren. I would much appreciate confirmation of this or please let me know if I have got this totally wrong.

I have found a couple of women's uniform guides through Amazon but neither of them has any reference to Marens. If anyone can recommend any books with definitive detail or any website guides for this subject that would be great.

Thanks,

David

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Maren uniform
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:50 am 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
The only really clear photos I have found only show the cap badge and the backing as the only difference between WRNS ratings and Maren. Couple of photos in 'Corsets to Camouflage' by Kate Adie I think and one in a book edited by Vera Lynn. Very little written about them that I've found.
K

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 17:55 pm 

As Kate has said there's very little written about Marens. I found a site here: http://www.dover-kent.com/Fair-Maid-of-Kent-Walmer.html with some info.

It appears that ratings wore the Royal Marine badge with a red backing on their caps, but officers, CPOs/POs wore their normal RN badges. Other than that the uniforms were the same as normal WRNS.

From memory I think the book "WRNS in camera" - by Bailey and Thomas, has some Maren photos.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 18:49 pm 

Thank you Kate and Mike.

That should make things simpler for us. Coincidentally, I saw the book "WRNS in Camera" on eBay this morning and have just won it.

By the way, are there people making repro WRNS uniforms out there or I will we have to go to eBay for originals or possible conversions? I am having a 19th C RMLI uniform made for me but have yet to find anyone producing WWII period clothing.

With best regards,

David

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 18:51 pm 
Forum Legend

I know Solomon Adler makes the early floppy WRNS hats, but I can't say I've seen any repro uniforms? What size is she? Kit turns up, it's just annoying having to wait for it!
K

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 23:58 pm 

Like kate, I don't know anyone who repros wrens unifroms. They do turn up on Ebay from time to time. Be careful, with a few changes the same uniform was used up to the 90s. They can be changed to look like WW2 ones if you have the sewing/dress making skills.

Size can be an issue as well. My partner Anna has some jackets in a size 10 or 12. Have a look at some of the old threads here and in the Brit and Comm womens section. I'm sure thehres some more info about uniforms there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 0:30 am 

This photo is from 1947 but should give you the idea of what they looked like,sorry the quality is not so good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 20:57 pm 

Thanks again Kate and Mike. I've checked with my daughter and she is looking for the jacket in size 12 and a skirt with 30" waist. I will have a look back through previous posts and see what I can find out. Are the traders at the War and Peace Show and Military Odyssey likely to have anything? I went to the latter last year but wasn't looking for WWII at the time, so I have no idea what was on offer.

Sea Soldier - thanks for the photo. That's exactly what we are looking to put together and gives us a good idea of what we need to look out for.

Best regards,

David

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 23:23 pm 

I've seen some wrns stuff at both War and Peace and Military Odyssey, but not a lot. But it can be found. Keep an eye on Ebay, search under wrns, wrens or ww2 navy, they seem to be the best searches.

If you need any help or advice on anything you find, just ask, no problem.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 20:37 pm 

Just had a quick scout on ebay and found this:

Available from this link:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROYAL-NAVY-WRNS-W ... 43a64f0a03

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 19:51 pm 

Thanks very much for the link David. The same seller was offering an O/R uniform (with the black KC buttons) in my daughter's size. It was a Buy It Now, so I have!

I also acquired a cap for her recently. I've noticed that this has a blue braid (25mm wide) attached to the cap at one end and the other end is looped. I've looked online and found a reference which says "navy braid at back for securing to head". We can't work out quite how it is supposed to secure. Is there a WRNS expert out there who may be able to give us some guidance?

Thanks in anticipation,

David

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 21:36 pm 

Hillebrandt wrote:
Thanks very much for the link David. The same seller was offering an O/R uniform (with the black KC buttons) in my daughter's size. It was a Buy It Now, so I have!

I also acquired a cap for her recently. I've noticed that this has a blue braid (25mm wide) attached to the cap at one end and the other end is looped. I've looked online and found a reference which says "navy braid at back for securing to head". We can't work out quite how it is supposed to secure. Is there a WRNS expert out there who may be able to give us some guidance?

Thanks in anticipation,

David

Hi David, if you look at the picture, on this thread of the Marens marching, you can see the braid you are talking about. It is used to keep the cap on in windy weather.

It is sewn inside the cap on the headband. The best way to do it is to put the cap on and pass the braid under the chin until it fits ok. Then taking the cap off, pin the braid to the inside. Make sure that it's ok, then sew onto inside.

Male ratings also had this braid. When worn, everyone wore their caps like it or no one did.

Hope this makes sense.

EDIT :oops: ooopps, from rereading your post, it sounds like it's already sewn on and loops back. It goes under the chin. Sew to fit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:55 am 

Thanks Mike. We did wonder whether it was a chin strap. What threw me was the online reference to the braid being at the "back" of the hat. This looks as if one end has been permanently sewn on to one side of the hat and the other braid end shortened (by folding the last couple of inches over to form the loop and sewing it). This is presumably to make it fit better under the current wearer's chin. The looped end must then be pinned to the other side of the hat. If the hat was re-issued I guess that the loop could be undone to fit another head (and chin).

I think we're getting there!!

Regards,

David

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:33 am 
Forum Legend

It's the unflattering strap that makes me look like Bessie Bunter! Lol! Think mine fastens with a press stud.

Let us know how she gets on.

K

Women's Navy Great Coat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:42 am 

It would be great to see a whole group of WRNS at an event.

The Chatham one in september is good, but, as always, there's a whole load more officers than ratings. There's accomodation on board HMS Cavalier. If you apply early enough.

My partner Anna has loads of wrns stuff and would love to go somewhere as a Maren.

When is your daughter thinking of wearing the uniform?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 20:30 pm 

Unless she decides to go to any 1940's weekends I'm afraid all this effort is only in aid of the Sussex Bonfire season. She wanted something that she could dress up in whilst dragging tableaux and effigies around the streets of Lewes. As one of her grandfathers was a Royal Marine and the other a RAF pilot she is hoping to alternate between Maren and WAAF.

However, she may well get into it and try re-enacting at some stage. Who knows?

David