WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:27 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 20:08 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: FRAU
But were not talking about every nation, we're talking German and specifically the tunics above ;)

You're quite right though as I know you've researched the SRK side of things and found it true in that case 8)

The highest form of flattery is imitation...... allegedly

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 20:11 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FHF / 150th Engineer Combat Battalion, XIIth Corps
Absolutely. Just thinking about some US women's uniforms as well.

Have seen one photo of a marinehelferin wearing a man's M44 tunic as an issue garment, but as you say, the exception rather than the rule.

Ashley

www.reenactor.se (Essex Regt.)
http://combatengineers.forumup.org (150th Engineer Combat Battalion)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 20:19 pm 
3000+ Poster

There was a female one in issue, but like the Luftwaffe Flakhelferinnen (both had a varient of the M44) mens tunics were issued to those on flak duties. Shortages on production/female kit etc meant what you were given was what was worn, but only within certain presecribed duties and the SS females were not one of those. The M44 style tunic for walking dress of MH were female cut and buttoning, there was at one point a collector on WAF that had an original.

For those doing Flak duties exception to the rule goes out of the window, those wearing the Fleiger or M44 were given what was available. The wool tunics of both SS helferinnnen and Heer Helferinnen double breasted or not were not the same as the male tunic, hence its obvious on those three photo's (again for someone wishing to look there are examples not only on WAF but other places on the net as well pictures of the women wearing them). For women wearing male tunics such as those I mentioned above, then what was worn with them and insignia gives away whether they're wearing a womans or mans tunic (be it a women legitimately wearing a male tunic but badged up with female insignia).

Like most things the devils in the detail.

Dink who wants a pair of those shoes your good lady has, they're great, infact I could wear them in 2009 quite happily 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:28 am 

Group: Mediterraneo
I recently spoke to a Royal Engineer vet, and he told me about capturing a female "werewolf", these were germans who were to resist allied advances and occupation i think. ( correct me if i got it wrong.lol). it transpires she'd laid a booby trap for the engineers with the intent of killing them. However they saw it, faked a detonation, and as she came back to see what had happened they arrested her. a german POW pioneer told the brits to kill her, but they said " it wasn't the thing to do". :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 14:18 pm 
3000+ Poster

Indeed, but again you refering to something in the very late stages of the war, when the war came to the women as apposed to the women going to war. Done properly it could be great, but how would you incorporate it into an accurate display? would be interesting though I've said that all along (and I await the chance someone does a Berlin based WWII airsoft battle for such a reason).

Its a hard call cos most women are attached to male groups, their time frame is not very late 44-end of war 45, thus you'd have conflicting impressions on a display. That leads to people thinking women did that (armed etc) all the war, including the public, which is a misrepresentation of history. That in my mind is wrong, even if you want to wear trousers cos you don't like skirts. Theres plenty of other options it just requires some effort and research.

PS There is a book about a female in such a position (Berlin at its fall), though the title eludes me at the moment, and I can't seem to see it on my bookcase :|

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 14:20 pm 
1000+ Poster

Ah, would that be Cromwell's Regiment of Lumpy Jumpers, then? :roll:

Warden_D wrote:
Alternativley look at another period. For example Sealed Knot (English Civil War) have women dressed as men on the battle field.

Harry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 18:57 pm 

Group: SIS Y Service "We're listening to you!"
I am wondering if the women's objections to re-enacting women's roles comes from a fear of or disdain for doing the cooking and housekeeping for the men?

In US Civil War re-enacting, the women end up in hoop skirts doing the cooking and cleaning and general housekeeping.

In WWII there are wider possibilities; motorcycle-riding messenger, wireleess operator, and a thousand roles other than the battlefield. Our project curator is looking at trying to find a vintage or reproduction bike of the WWII era as she is a motorcycle enthusiast and we are busy working on a wireless set up.....then there are the women who were in the FAA as photographers, etc......and some of the women taking boats out as net tenders, etc...

Either way, it gets you out of hauling Coca-Cola all day for the men...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:27 am 

A very sensible approach..... :roll: :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:54 am 
Supporter

Group: independent
Mark1965 wrote:
Hi

She wants to be a german soldier rather than womens role.

Cheers Mark

Depends on where you are situated , Try NWW2a :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:52 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: 95th nacht abt..attached 85th gebirgs
why are we so intent on changing history to suit ourselfs

women in combat?
ok get s**t loads of rubble and burning wood and lots of explosions and dress the gals up in non fitting kit...
go for it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 14:36 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
Exactly.....

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 18:01 pm 
Forum Legend

Complete with cat wing eye make up and beehive hair-do's? Lol!

There's a bit of a difference between getting it wrong -completely and misrepresenting history.

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 18:02 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: 95th nacht abt..attached 85th gebirgs
i see it as we ..reenactors who go ahead and speek openly to vets first hand are the last front on the keeping of history alive

if we cant do it correct then what chance has history

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 0:10 am 
Supporter

Group: independent
dave1SLANR wrote:
Mark1965 wrote:
Hi

She wants to be a german soldier rather than womens role.

Cheers Mark

Depends on where you are situated , Try NWW2a :)

The attached photo, far right is it female or male , looks very femanine in posture and looks :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:36 am 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Virtue To Victory
The posture is simply from the angle of the photo and being in mid stride so thats no clue. Facially could be a teenager who hasn't grown any fluff on his chin yet.

However, right through history women have managed to sneak into armies and serve amongst the men. One woman was only caught after the ACW when she started to claim her pension twenty years later. These women were not the norm and highly rare and unusual and were usually caught out within weeks and severely punished.

As a female re-enactor I don't want to do the pretty thing looking after the men folk. Don't do it in real life so I don't see why I should change for re-enacting. Instead I find roles that suit me and are correct for the period I'm portraying.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:24 am 
Forum Legend

There are so many roles for women that aren't just mopping fevered brows and making tea. As Nadine said, these fighting women were oddities and shouldn't be portrayed as 'the norm'.

Someone who knows my views on this asked us at a battle a few years ago to pick out the women dressed as men. We pointed them all out and he couldn't understand how, but even if a girl is flat chested, she will run like a girl and have mannerisms of a woman.

Women's Navy Great Coat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next