WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 13:52 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: WAC arm insignia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 13:38 pm 

I'm aware that WAC's wore the shoulder patches of the army/division that they were assigned to and I've seen many original photos with air force badges and 1st Army badges.
Would it be feasible for a WAC to be assigned to the 82nd Airborne and wear an 82nd badge?

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: WAC arm insignia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 14:19 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
In an administration, ie; clerk capacity perhaps .. if they had them (WAC clerks that is) ... ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 17:46 pm 

Just trawling the internet and found this picture. Does it look like an 82nd badge on her arm. They're nurses in the Bulge.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 18:19 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

I would think that anyone assigned to any unit in any capacity would wear that units insignia ... I believe there was a rule you could wear a previous units insignia on the right shoulder .. ??

The question for the picture would perhaps be, were they a medical unit in their own right attached to another unit, or were they actually assigned (as nurses) to the 82nd ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 18:55 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Looking through the GI Collectors Guide (for the ETO) there was no actual medical unit patch, I would assume then that they would wear what medical insignia they were entitled too ie; red cross etc and then the unit patch of whatever unit they were attached/assigned too as nurses, medical staff.
As for WACS of other ranks I would say if they were assigned to a unit, any unit, then yes they would wear the insignia of that unit ... the question remaining perhaps is ... were any WACS assigned to the 82nd ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:13 am 

Correspondent wrote:
the question remaining perhaps is ... were any WACS assigned to the 82nd ??

Well, (and I'm certainly no expert) according to the blurb alongside this photo, these nurses were.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:20 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

I don't disagree with that, but I'm right I think in saying that all nurses were Officers .. ie; started out as 2nd Lt's ... I was thinking more of lower ranks .. if there were any ??

It does stand to reason I think, as I said earlier, anyone, in any capacity and assigned to any unit, would wear that units patch.

I have pictures of Warco's assigned to the USAAF wearing the Air Corps insignia, there was a sense of identification to it all, and perhaps belonging too ?

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:12 am 

Maybe she'll just wear an ETO patch then!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:34 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

This is an interesting read .....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_Army_Corps

A couple of points here too worth noting ...

They were also the first women officers in the army allowed to wear officer's insignia; the Army Nursing Corps didn't receive permission to do so until 1944.

It seems a lot of re-enactment nurses may not realise they are actually portraying late war .. ??

During the existence of the WAC (1943 to 1978) women were prohibited from being assigned to the combat arms branches of the Army - such as the Infantry, Cavalry, Armor, Tank Destroyers, or Artillery and could not serve in a combat area. However, they did serve as valuable staff in their headquarters and staff units stateside or in England.

I would say your lady could in fact wear the 82nd insignia, however you may need to be careful how you present the portrayal of her character ?

Hope it all helps

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 15:50 pm 

Thanks for that, it certainly makes interesting but confusing reading!! Quote:During the existence of the WAC (1943 to 1978) women were prohibited from being assigned to the combat arms branches of the Army - such as the Infantry, Cavalry, Armor, Tank Destroyers, or Artillery and could not serve in a combat area.
This contradicts the photo of the nurses attached to the 82nd. Surely the 82nd are a combat branch. She has no interest in nursing so doesn't want to portray a nurse. Really just need a WAC branch and patch that served in the ETO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 16:18 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Yes it seems to contradict the picture you posted ?
Although nurses would not have been in the combat area I wonder could they be attached to a combat unit but in the rear echelon. Thinking about Korea though and MASH units, they were often only 2 miles or so from the front, puzzling to say the least.

Regarding your lady though, I would go for it as reading the info and looking at a couple of the pics on it, there is scope for enlisted WAC personnel working within a unit in various non combatant roles, and as such then would wear that units patch, again its about security and identification of unit personnel.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 16:25 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

The WAAC were first trained in three major specialties. The brightest and nimblest were trained as switchboard operators. Next came the mechanics, who had to have a high degree of mechanical aptitude and problem solving ability. The bakers were usually the lowest scoring recruits and were stereotyped as being the least intelligent and able by their fellow WAACs. This was later expanded to dozens of specialties like Postal Clerk, Driver, Stenographer, and Clerk-Typist. WAC armorers maintained and repaired small arms and heavy weapons that they were not allowed to use. The WAC provided enlisted seamstresses to tailor WAC uniforms to their wearer - a service they also provided to male officers.

Pick a trade ... pick a rank ... go for it .. as a mechanic, driver or armorer she could be attached to a unit in that capacity and would wear that units patch ... be different anyway, don't think I've seen anything like that yet ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England