WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 0:20 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New TV Show
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:18 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
I quite enjoyed it. Couldnt find any reason to dislike it!

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 13:05 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: I/II-AA Das Reich (W.A.R.S)
Each to his own.
Excusing Every German soldier looked like he had brand new fluffy uniforms, rifles carried wrongly, sometimes on the wrong shoulder and in the wrong hand, Luftwaffe guy in the first scene looked bloody shocking. But forget those....

"Archer" was wooden, looked too clean, too young,dressed immaculately in black everything without a spot of dust (in a bombed out dystopian London?), Slow script, bad sound etc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 15:04 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Its a film .. its faction .. !!!
They have story writers, costume designers, I would say researchers too but its obvious they have done little or no actual research, so what do they want with historical fact .. ??

It would be refreshing if they told the truth too about Hitlers real plans for England ..

In his book P O W, printed in 1968, Douglas Collins describes how after his successful escape and return to duty he was part of the Intelligence Corps, and in 1945 held in his hands two captured documents, one was called 'Operation Sea-Lion', the other titled 'The military Administration of England' .. and in this one it was all clear .. "as a gallows on a bright day " ..

... All children over ten were to be liable to be put to death ... all men between 17 and 45 to be transported to eastern Europe ..

That document is still in existence and I doubt that today Collins would be allowed to say that in a book .. I bet they wont show that in this film though ..??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 16:31 pm 
4000+ Poster

They are already hinting in the TV prog about rounding up Jews.

That the final solution for Europe would have gone beyond just the list of "undesirables" we normally associate it with is a given really. Luckily of course it was stopped before it reached those levels, but I'd say pretty much any non-Aryan would have been on the list eventually, together with non-Germans used as slave labour everywhere.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:19 am 
1000+ Poster

"... All children over ten were to be liable to be put to death ... all men between 17 and 45 to be transported to eastern Europe .. "

They didn't do this to France, nor would they, especially of Britain. As a heavily industrialised country, I doubt this is in any way true of any except those labelled "undesirables"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:21 am 
1000+ Poster

[quote="Correspondent"]Its a film .. its faction .. !!!
They have story writers, costume designers, I would say researchers too but its obvious they have done little or no actual research, so what do they want with historical fact .. ??

[quote]

Read my post. I said putting all historical stuff to one side, There was still plenty to criticise.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:22 am 
1000+ Poster

One of my favourite war films is "Attack!". Dire kit standard in that, but its still an excellent film

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:39 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Neily Baby wrote:
"... All children over ten were to be liable to be put to death ... all men between 17 and 45 to be transported to eastern Europe .. "

They didn't do this to France, nor would they, especially of Britain. As a heavily industrialised country, I doubt this is in any way true of any except those labelled "undesirables"

I always thought from history that anything non Aryan was 'undesireable' ..??

'Didnt happen in France' .. what about all the Jewish children sent from France to their deaths in the camps .. one thing we do know is that Hitler and the Nazi regime were capable of anything .. and it wouldn't have stopped at the Jews I think, there is no telling what he would have done in England .. the indisputable fact being that it is written in black and white in those documents, plus God knows what other plans are in there that he had for this country and the people in it.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:02 am 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
I've given up on it. I thought the first episode was just slow to build the characters, but it's so bloody tedious after the second. It's like they've tried to make it into some art-house film noir thing. they've put more effort into the cinematography than the story, so it looks pretty, but lacks any depth. The book is fast paced, this is the opposite. There's no urgency to it. The guy playing Archer has the most monotonous, droning and mumbling voice.

http://www.afra.org.uk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:15 am 
1000+ Poster

Correspondent wrote:
Neily Baby wrote:

I always thought from history that anything non Aryan was 'undesireable' ..??

'Didnt happen in France' .. what about all the Jewish children sent from France to their deaths in the camps .. .

Sorry. Either I didn't write this clearly enough, or my typing is too bad to read.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 14:24 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

.... you really think it would have stopped at the Jews ..??? .. that was just the start ... unless you were the archetypal Aryan you were undesirable ... why would it not happen in England as it did elsewhere ..., the truth is of course we will never know because we were never invaded .. however there are two undeniable facts .. it did happen in other occupied countries, and it is written in black and white in 'The Military Administration of England' document that still exists, (albeit in the depths of the Govt vaults or wherever) that similar plans were in place for England.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 15:38 pm 
4000+ Poster

I did find some quotes from the document you talked about last week... and it said that UK adult males of fighting age to be deported to Europe for "security reasons" and children not to be mass killed, but to allow the death penalty for children who engaged in acts of resistance.

Slightly different to your version...

They were really interested in the resources in the UK and needed them. Not quite sure how they were going to leverage those industrial resources without any adult males - presumably using imported slave labour.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 16:10 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Thanks Andrei ... I was quoting from the book, after all the author held the documents in his hands and saw what was written, what source was your quote from out of interest .. my point being that what had happened in other countries could have happened here too, that regime being capable of anything as we have seen.. !!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 16:23 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

This is interesting .....

http://www.thewarillustrated.info/215/n ... ritain.asp

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 17:54 pm 
1000+ Poster

I'd say it's got potential from what I've seen of it, not had a chance to see the second episode thanks to work, but the first one was okay. Agreed with Neil that the main character was a bit wooden though, first episode of something like this needs to be a bit more..punchy, somehow.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 18:08 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Got to be honest here, I haven't watched it, I think the D-Day Spit in 1941 put me off somewhat, that and a few other things, and from comments here, I havent missed much maybe .. ??
.. my comments re, the quote in the book just being something of an aside to it all .. !!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next