WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 17:28 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fury
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 13:14 pm 

Group: On Parade & The Law at War
See, McVickers, I warned you - Viktors always listening...!

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 13:29 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 16:18 pm 
1000+ Poster

Haha excellent. I must admit I rather enjoyed it! Uniforms looked good to me, storyline was a bit crap but it's a typical action film, great to come home from work and totally switch off to!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 16:23 pm 
3000+ Poster

deebo wrote:

that's Manny's favourite meme im told

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 21:08 pm 

Crikey:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FURY-BRAD-PIT ... 2ed8daeb18

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 23:23 pm 

Group: On Parade & The Law at War
th467lib wrote:

No CofA? Not even if I won the lottery!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 20:43 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
People getting all hyped up on why the SS didn't send in anti-tank weapons earlier ect. I'm more concerned on why some genius officer didn't look at a disabled tank and think to walk around it? :/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 22:20 pm 
3000+ Poster

Yin717 wrote:
People getting all hyped up on why the SS didn't send in anti-tank weapons earlier ect. I'm more concerned on why some genius officer didn't look at a disabled tank and think to walk around it? :/

because one side was the public viewing area and the field on the other was own by an angry farmer - same as any battle we've taken part in

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 22:23 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
lordduvet wrote:
Yin717 wrote:

because one side was the public viewing area and the field on the other was own by an angry farmer - same as any battle we've taken part in

Ah yes of course! Blasted public! Interfering in wars and making them more difficult! :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:08 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Saw this movie last night and really, really enjoyed it!

There have been a few (very different) "tank crew inside a tank, their war" type movies I've seen over the years, but this one is probably the best.

Did I spot any historical bloopers? Nope, because I was enjoying the film too much.

Very good, highly recommended and well done to all of you who worked on this.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 15:17 pm 

Finally got round to watching this. As has already been said uniforms & vehicles looked good, script pretty appalling. I turned it off immediately after the scene depicting the forced execution of a German prisoner. It may have happened, although I doubt it ever happened quite as gratuitously as that & if it did the Brad Pitt should have been relieved of command & court marshalled.

To beat the bad guys it is NOT necessary to behave worse than they do!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 22:59 pm 

In a scene with close-up on Brad Pitt and the .30 cal, it looked to me like you could see the muzzle was blocked up (as in 'deac'), which made me :) and :roll: , but it was late and my eyesight's not as good as it was :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 18:12 pm 

BedsnHerts wrote:
Put it this way-

As a Hollywood film,

If Saving Private Ryan is 10
and Inglourious Basterds is 0

what position is Fury?

SPOILER ALERT
In my opinion, SPR: 10/10 - BoB: 10/10 - Fury: 7/10

I've watched SPR a number of times and will amost certainly watch it again at some point, ditto for BoB.
'Fury'? Having seen it the once, it's very likely I won't watch it ever again, unless it's in quite a few years time and it comes on the telly and there's nothing else on and I'm really bored.
Don't get me wrong, I 'enjoyed' it and it did hold my interest most of the time - I think it was just too simple a storyline. Also, having been for a spin in a Sherman, the scenes shot 'inside the tank' didn't seem claustrophobic enough - the inside appeared to be more 'roomy' than it actually is. I'm guessing most of the scenes showing the inside of the tank were done on some sort of mock up and I appreciate the limitations and compromises that might impose. And the final scene? For me it might have been more realistic if there had been far fewer German troops attacking the tank, especially because as they were marching towards the tank's position, they had more Panzerfausts than you could shake a stick at - what happened with all those bad boys!?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 19:43 pm 

I'll wait until I can watch it free 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 15:34 pm 

Group: 4th Dorsets Living History Group
I watched this last night with a 91 year old Churchill Tank Commander. His assessment "utter bilge!", I concur.
He couldn't believe the poor tactics displayed, he said he learnt, very quickly, to shoot up tree lines in enemy territory and not to casually drive by in column with little regard for the possible presence of the enemy, also he was stunned by the way the tank commanders remained fully on view. His opinion was that they wouldn't have lasted very long.
When it came to the rescue of the pinned infantry he asked where was the cover and movement which was a standard and basic tactic, for both tanks and infantry.
As to the final battle between the SS troops and the disabled "Fury", he commented that the Germans, and in particular, the SS, were not fools, and a single disabled tank without infantry support would not have lasted very long. He had a high, but tempered respect, for the Germans fighting abilities.
I felt that an opportunity to demonstrate the realities of tank combat was squandered in an "America is best" piece of crude jingoism. Some of the tank combat was gruesome and grisly, but overall I would place this in the same dustbin as U571.
The veterans final comment was this "if that is how the Yanks really fought, I am heartily glad I never had to fight alongside them!"

Assume nothing!
Believe no one!
Check everything!

Private "Duce"
"C" Company
4th Dorsets
130 Infantry Brigade
43rd Wessex Wyvern Division

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 22:18 pm 

Is it as good Kelly's Heroes 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next