WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:38 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 15:31 pm 

Well apparently

Quote:
"There was criticism of the film's world-famous cast when it was announced last month, with fans of the original saying big-money stars and expensive production would ruin the memory of the much-loved comedy"

Expensive production? Really?! :shock: This is hardly the British answer to Fury now is it.

Also,

Quote:
"A statement detailing the plot's outline stated: ‘Their new mission to patrol the Dover army base is a great chance to revive spirits and reputation"

Why not let the Dover HG deal with the... erm...Dover.... 'army base'?! :shock: You know to stop the Dover 'Army Base' from being captured by the nasty German 'army men'.

Call me uncharitable but the Last time I saw a plot line like that 'The Hood' was trying to steal gold bullion from the 'Bank of London'.

Last edited by nickberry on Mon Nov 03, 2014 15:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 15:32 pm 

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
...Mainwaring hasn't even got his trademark spectacles on (which he can barely see without) in those pictures :roll:

Yes, I was chuckling at the "Dover Army Base" as it's officially designated name :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 15:52 pm 

McVickers wrote:
...Mainwaring hasn't even got his trademark spectacles on (which he can barely see without) in those pictures :roll:

Yes, I was chuckling at the "Dover Army Base" as it's officially designated name :lol:

It looks beyond dire. Not because they are failing to remake the idea well (which they are) but every aspect of it seems rushed and un considered.

Also, I assume that because they are using the MG42 the film is set post 1942? Or was that all that such a 'big budget' could allow?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 16:04 pm 

Group: On Parade & The Law at War
I suspect they're using an MG42 because its a german machine gun and - well - why let silly old 'facts' get in the way eh, tsh!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 16:10 pm 
3000+ Poster

That's Dover near Leeds you know.

Pronounced harrogate

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 16:21 pm 
2000+ Poster

oh Lordy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 16:23 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
As I said before, either here or the 'Eye Bleach' topic, I read that the film is (apparently) set in 1944 .. !!!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 19:08 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
They had poor Cath Z-J in the sea at Flamborough today, a load of Germans and some armed ATS....

Yeah... :-/

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:05 am 
2000+ Poster

I'd have Cath Z-J almost anywhere, and the ATS would need to be armed, but it will still be poor, even the original DADS ARMY film wasn't as good as the series in my opinion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:05 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Location: WPFG Centre. (Operating within Moscow Centre's Scale of Norms)
Group: Za Ob/WPFG Complex e i gentiluomini.
Comrades,
I think I will be waiting until this is on Television, I can save my bile for other Thundering until that Great day.

Oh curse this pointless knowledge I have on a subject of no use to man nor beast!

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
( Comrade Stalin, 1928)

"Who watches The Watchmen?"... The NKVD.

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

"We will fight for peace until there isn't one stone left standing on another".
(Soviet folk-saying)

"Gesplitzenblitz !" ( Peter Sellers)

"To err is to be arrested ".
"To forgive is not within the Scale of Norms".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:15 pm 

Viktor wrote:
Comrades,
I think I will be waiting until this is on Television, I can save my bile for other Thundering until that Great day.

Oh curse this pointless knowledge I have on a subject of no use to man nor beast!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:39 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Location: WPFG Centre. (Operating within Moscow Centre's Scale of Norms)
Group: Za Ob/WPFG Complex e i gentiluomini.
Westinghouse wrote:
Viktor wrote:
Comrades,

But Political Perception, Combat Efficiency and Battle Readiness increases with Seven league Boots Comrade Westinghouse. :D

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
( Comrade Stalin, 1928)

"Who watches The Watchmen?"... The NKVD.

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

"We will fight for peace until there isn't one stone left standing on another".
(Soviet folk-saying)

"Gesplitzenblitz !" ( Peter Sellers)

"To err is to be arrested ".
"To forgive is not within the Scale of Norms".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 13:11 pm 
Forum Legend

Filming just around the corner from my house last night...and taken over our little theatre for their Tech base. Security guards are a holes who don't seem to understand the concept of a 'public' highway...

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 13:19 pm 

"Events" security are the worst kind of security - the most inflated egos around, they absolutely love pushing people around. I hate to reference Godwins Law, but they really are closet fascists!

Some months back I attended an event where Dan Aykroyd was doing a signing for his Crystal head Vodka - and the event security (read 'chunky nobheads in black bomber jackets') spent the whole time joylessley walking up and down the queue shouting at the attendees that 'MR AYKROYD WILL NOT SIGN ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE BOTTLE' and YOU MUST BUY A BOTTLE and what not and so on.
When he eventually turned up he was the nicest guy - signed everything for everyone as he knew his fans had been there for a while!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 18:14 pm 
Forum Legend

I pity any extras, standing in the ******* rain at present with two toilets between a load of them!

Women's Navy Great Coat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 22:03 pm 

Group: There & Back Again...
Westinghouse wrote:
"Events" security are the worst kind of security - the most inflated egos around, they absolutely love pushing people around. I hate to reference Godwins Law, but they really are closet fascists!

Some months back I attended an event where Dan Aykroyd was doing a signing for his Crystal head Vodka - and the event security (read 'chunky nobheads in black bomber jackets') spent the whole time joylessley walking up and down the queue shouting at the attendees that 'MR AYKROYD WILL NOT SIGN ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE BOTTLE' and YOU MUST BUY A BOTTLE and what not and so on.
When he eventually turned up he was the nicest guy - signed everything for everyone as he knew his fans had been there for a while!

OT a bit sorry.

I met Dan Akroyd some years ago whilst guarding an RAF crash site during my time in RAF Mountain Rescue. He was filming on the estate where the crash happened and popped along to see if he could have a look. When we politely explained that the site might be dangerous and not confirming or denying that anything had happened,he was nice as pie and left with a cheery wave.

Andy

There and Back Again...

http://www.thereandbackagain.org.uk

Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja! .. Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next