WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:54 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:29 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
I kind of get the feeling this is going to turn out like St Trinian's or the last of the Carry On films.... where they take a classic comedy concept and just, well, screw it up because the thing they fail to see is that those things are popular because they worked when they were released and nostalgia keeps them popular, not the relevance.

This will be practically a straight to video release.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:34 am 

Andrei Kozlov wrote:
I kind of get the feeling this is going to turn out like St Trinian's or the last of the Carry On films.... where they take a classic comedy concept and just, well, screw it up because the thing they fail to see is that those things are popular because they worked when they were released and nostalgia keeps them popular, not the relevance.

This will be practically a straight to video release.

And if you listen VEEEERRRRYYYY carefully you can just hear the corpse of Arthur Lowe slowly rotating.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:45 am 

Group: On Parade & The Law at War
"Slowly"?
Wrap him in copper wire and you could power the O2 Arena off him...!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:51 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Surely wrap him in copper wire, paint EY on him and use him to launch no.36's :D

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:17 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: Vickers MG Collection & Research Association
Another question is why they have filmed it in Yorkshire? Especially when Warmington-on-Sea is supposed to be in East Sussex and the original was actually filmed in Thetford, Norfolk? Answers on a postcard anyone?[/quot

Thetford was used for filming the TV series. The 1971 film they used Chalford St Giles in Buckinghamshire for the Warmington-on-Sea scenes and other locations where in Surry,Sussex and Middlesex.

Warmington-on-Sea was set to be about 20 Miles from Dover around the Folkestone area not east Sussex as the platoon are badged as Royal West Kents. With there rivals in the East Gate platoon badged as the Buffs which is supposed to be a town near Hythe

Collecting anything related to the HBMGC/Tank corps, RTC and RTR 1916 to 1945

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:25 am 

trunks wrote:
Another question is why they have filmed it in Yorkshire? Especially when Warmington-on-Sea is supposed to be in East Sussex and the original was actually filmed in Thetford, Norfolk? Answers on a postcard anyone?[/quot

Thetford was used for filming the TV series. The 1971 film they used Chalford St Giles in Buckinghamshire for the Warmington-on-Sea scenes and other locations where in Surry,Sussex and Middlesex.

Warmington-on-Sea was set to be about 20 Miles from Dover around the Folkestone area not east Sussex as the platoon are badged as Royal West Kents. With there rivals in the East Gate platoon badged as the Buffs which is supposed to be a town near Hythe

Cheers Pete. Obviously got my wires crossed. Although I'd still question why the would film in Yorkshire.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:31 am 

nickberry wrote:
Cheers Pete. Obviously got my wires crossed. Although I'd still question why the would film in Yorkshire.

Because Yorkshire hasn't advanced much since the 1930's and is therefore visibly suitable?

...awaits a clip round the ear from Miss Spitfire....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:38 am 

Westinghouse wrote:
nickberry wrote:

Because Yorkshire hasn't advanced much since the 1930's and is therefore visibly suitable?

...awaits a clip round the ear from Miss Spitfire....

That would appear to be the case. :D

Although (and I'm certainly no expert here) I remember Yorkshire differing quite a bit in geography and building style from a) the south coast around where the series was originally set and b) Thetford in Norfolk where it was originally filmed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:54 am 

Well we already know that most people nowadays wouldn't know a Bren pouch from a bino case - But I'd bet your average shmo doesn't know the different between one bit of green leafy background to another!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:05 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
You're absolutely correct! It's such a backwards hole that we just can't be arsed to change anything! :D

Bempton is nice though..

No, that's a lie it's a windswept nothingsville! But there's a nice tat shop there and I've had some bargains there. A nice window in the church dedicated to the FANY but other than that...

Oh there's an Ostrich in a field too! :D

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:07 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
The Crowd Asst Director was at a HG group a week ago ... he freely admitted that while at Pickering and looking at the standard of uniform, and that of other HG and British groups there, the wardrobe person that was with him turned around and admitted the film company couldn't compete with the standard of accuracy they were witnessing ... says a lot I think ..??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:24 pm 

The question is - How many HG reenacators would give up their time to be in the film?

That way - the film company ensures that uniforms are correct and not just knocked together tosh.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:39 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
I think Haworth and Pontefract groups are taking part in the parade scene ...??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:45 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
Oh my word.....speaks volumes....

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:48 am 

No mention of who's playing Chief Warden Hodges yet?

You know who I'd like to see playing him - someone who I think would have the right level of cockiness and snideleness?

Vague relation to the original Bill Pertwee .... Sean Pertwee!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:20 pm 

Westinghouse wrote:
No mention of who's playing Chief Warden Hodges yet?

You know who I'd like to see playing him - someone who I think would have the right level of cockiness and snideleness?

Vague relation to the original Bill Pertwee .... Sean Pertwee!

Yes!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next